2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!
By fsparks1985 on 03/31/11 08:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my 02 Jetta for almost a year now, and its given me nothing but trouble. I went from driving a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer to the Jetta to try and save on gas, BIG mistake. This Jetta has been back to the deal for repairs at least 8 times in last than a year. All before the car turned 100K the Clutch went out, fuel relays, oil seals, timing belt, to just to name a few issues. Not worth the time or money to buy one of these POS. Do some research and read many reviews about these cars. They are great on gas, but you will spend more money in the long run trying to keep the car on the road!!! Cheaply made and poor craftsmanship!!

Do NOT Purchase!
By rachel14 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is such a headache! I am in the works of purchasing a new vehicle because at 95,000 my transmission has to be rebuilt at a upwards of $4,500! The car is not even worth that! I have only had this vehicle for nearly 4 years and have had to take it in at least two times a year to have major costly fixes. Volkswagens require a lot of care because they are poorly made. It is very hard to find mechanics that know how to service a Volkswagen which makes it more expensive when you find one that does. My advice is to stay away and do not invest your money. Please do your research before hand and read up on all the complaints.

Piece of Crap
By CB on 08/26/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife & i bought this car with 45k, from day one, the car has been a piece of crap. the car died 7 days after we bought it. after that the mechanical problems, engine light on. for some reason the passenger door won't open unless its from the outside, the trunk release dont work. the engine lights stays on. catalytic converter replaced light still on, new engine mount. engine light still on. engine rumbles the car shakes more than a rattle snake. car in the shop now, needs new wheel bearing, complete tune up $1200. 4 time this year car been fixed. car needs oil change every 1500 miles. right side speakers blew up. Never again will buy a VW. They are worthless.

Don't Listen to the NaySayers
By turboDan on 08/11/10 22:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

In all honesty, I'm surprised. Being a Chevy fan all my life, we bought this car primarily for my wife and I'm actually jealous. Like every other vehicle I've owned, there are it's problems but the dealer has satisfied our every repair and maintenance need and more. Vacuum lines went at 90k and our water pump just went out at 120k. We bought it with 68k. I've done almost all the maintenance myself without difficulty. The engine is super strong for it's size (zips past most vehicles on the freeway) and it's just perfect for a small family like ours. Gas mileage can suffer if you like the gas pedal like me, but we still average 24 mpg. I still have a Chevy, but my next car will be a VW.

It's Never Gonna Die
By knoxgrassdealer on 07/22/10 16:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 1.8t 4dr in early march with 100,000 miles, and I've put it through the works. I'm 19 year old so I'm not the slowest driver, the second day i had it i crashed the hell out of it. I'm not sure how but the air bags didn't deploy, and i was able to drive away with ease. I had to replace many parts including doors, windows, wires. Very easy work considering the dept of it. Since, I've put over 8,000 miles on it and my girl friend had smashed more windows out lol. But overall whenever i get more money I'm definitely gonna consider buying another one. Excellent performance, Decent fuel economy, Kinda small, Big trunk! ;) Great car..

Do your research
By Jmr on 04/29/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This jetta has been my dream car for forever, until I purchased it. A month after I bought it would no longer run due to transmission problems. I took it back to the dealer and demanded they fix it, which they did. In the past year I have replaced 2 mass air flow sensors, the main computer for the car, countless other sensors and recently the fuel pump. If you are interested in a VW you better do some research to make sure it's a good fit for you. Jetta's are cute and fun to drive, but if you get a bad one it's going to be a money pit. Also, they are expensive to maintain, my oil changes cost around $70. Make sure you are prepared for all the comes with being a VW owner before you get one!

worst car i ever had
By chicagodriver on 04/24/10 15:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Despite all the great reviews, this car has problem after problem. First, heated seats started on fire--at dealership for over a week with no compensation from VW for burned jacket and pants.Interior cheap and falling apart. Constant engine trouble-now with only 70000 miles, the engine needs to be replaced. I have had all maintenance done on time and disgusted with this expensive, money draining piece of junk. DO NOT BUY

STOP!
By STOP! on 03/21/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car! My engine light is the only electronic item that works, it's always on. Radio, door locks, windows headlights, only work when they want to. You almost have to bring it into the shop for everything because you need a special tool to do anything on the car. I will never buy another VW again! I wouldn't even feel comfortable giving this car to a friend.

Beautiful Rubbish
By vwrider on 03/17/10 23:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am very mixed about this car. It was a zippy, fun to drive car and the experiences it gave me made the money spent worthwhile. But the money spent was A LOT of money!!! EVERYTHING breaks on this car, from knobs on the stereo, to the coolant expansion tank to the muffler mounting bolts, to the window actuators. It's very expensive to repair and you must get aftermarket upgrades if you want the repairs to last, OEM parts just fall apart in equal amount of time. The engine and tranny will last forever but before long everything else in the car will have been swapped out. If you have a love for VW and some money to spare, get this car, otherwise stay far away from it!

Best Car Ever
By God blessing jetta on 01/09/10 20:25 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I just got my Jetta I love it. Very Clean car for 95000 miles on it . Its not giving me any problems since i got it . I read most of the reviews I believe if you take care of your car and this goes for all car and trucks if you take care of it , it will last you a very long time like for example i had a 1997 eclipse and It drove me everywhere and gave me no problems bc i took care of it but i sold it bc im 6ft 4in and need a bigger vehicle and it had 240,000miles and i just got my jetta and ima do the same thing is take care of it. its fast it runs good and its a 2.0litter well thats all for now