Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

It's been alright
By monkey801

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car 2 years ago because I've always loved Jettas. Fell in love with it right away, it's definitely quicker than most would assume. Bought it with 118,000 miles. Since then I've had to replace the fuel pump, ignition coils (recall), and the hoses. These cars are expensive to fix! Aside from that it's still running strong at 136,000 miles.

The turbo makes it very fun to drive, it handles better than other cars in its price range, I think it looks great, the 1.8t is cheap and easy to upgrade, lots of trunk space, traction control.

Better quality materials in the interior, BETTER CUP HOLDERS (I've lost an entire milkshake and two sodas on the floor), fix the lame latch on the glovebox.

Dont Do It!
By mikejones5

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have bought! 135K and here is the work I have done: O2 sensor Catalytic Converter Water Pump Timing Belt All bulbs Bumper Clips (3 Times) Hub caps (on going)

Heated Seats

See reviews

If you're reading this I already feel sorry for you.
By katwoj

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a piece of crap. I have had two VW Jettas that were both maintained well by previous owner. I bought my current one with 87,000 miles on it and it currently has 103,000. In that period of time I have literally purchased the car over again in repairs and went into debt. The only thing I haven't repaired thus far is the transmission, and I have reason to believe that is on its way out. The water pump was replaced before I bought it and yet it went out again at 100,000. Destroyed my engine ($3,000). Also had to get all new axles, tie rods, wheel bearings. Drives jerky, erratic acceleration. Not to mention it smells like a box of nauseating melted crayons. NIGHTMARE. DO NOT BUY.

This car is nice to look at...and that's it. The turbo is fun...until you realize it causes even more problems with the car. The heated leather seats, sun roof, and Monsoon sound system are all nice...until they break. Compared to the appearance of other cars in the early 2000's this car is by far the most attractive, but that only gets you so far down the road LITERALLY.

700 characters will not even allow for me to begin to start listing suggestions on how to improve on this vehicle. Maybe a massive recall of every one in existence on the road? I've heard the newest generation of Jettas aren't as terrible, and VW can't go back in the past and fix the grove of lemons they unleashed to consumers when they designed the MKVI Jetta. After owning two of these vehicles for the past 4 years I can honestly say there have been times where this inanimate object has felt like it was ruining my life. I do not feel safe in these vehicles. Not a month has gone by where there hasn't been a looming issue, check engine light, tow, or trips back to the mechanic.

PLEASE READ THESE REVIEWS! THEY ARE TRUE!!
By trust_issues02

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2002 VW Jetta in 2004 used 40,000 miles. From day one nothing but problems. Engines coils, water pump ( like 3 times), oil pan, hoses, transmission. The list can go on and on.. I put myself in debt trying to fix this car. So EXPENSIVE to fix. I felt the trans was slipping shortly after my purchase. I kept taking it to the dealer before my warranty went out they couldn't feel what I felt while driving.. A year later after the warranty went out so did the transmission. I paid $2,600 to fix it and it still wasn't fixed the correct way!!!! Every time the car went to the shop my bill averaged $500-800. DON'T BUY A VW PLEASE. You'll regret it!!! Also no mechanic knows how to fix them!

Style, Look, Turbo, Heated Seats

VW should take responsibility for making a LEMON!!!

dont buy!
By germancarlife

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2011 with 56,000 miles on it and its been nothing but trouble. first the engine temp sensor went out ($400), next was the entire transmission at 65k miles ($4000) and then never ending issues with the electronics and engine internals. I change my oil every 3500 miles and drive 13 miles a day on the highway very gently so idk why this car is so bad. My wife has an 02 325i with 213k miles on it and its never given 1/15 of the problems the jetta vr6 has and she and I both drive that car very abusively to be honest, just regular oil changes, brakes and tires.

seats are ok