2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I should have listened to my instinct!!
By Never Will Again on 08/30/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this car thinking I would give VW a chance in hopes that they had come a long way. I knew that VW/Audi didn't have the best consumer reports for reliability, but I felt if I found one that was care for w/ low miles, I would be fine. I was wrong. In the short time I have had it, I had to replace the ignition coils, a hose, the emobilizer shut my car down from moving (when all I had was a dead battery), and now finally, the timing belt just skipped a notch and blew the head and bent valves!! You wanna know how much the repairs are? Oh about $3000-4000. That is no joke. I am so mad I ever got this car. I warn you now, don't make the mistake I did. email if you have more questions.

FUN TO DRIVE WHEN IT'S NOT IN THE SHOP
By H. Kitty on 07/16/09 08:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 Jetta used with only 32000 miles on it. A week after my purchase the brake lights didn't work...which was a recall so I took it to the dealer. Two months after owning the car my temperature sensor went out. A month after that my triptonic steering needed to be replaced which was about a 900 dollar fix. A few months after that I had to have the carbon cleaned out of my car another 800 dollars. This car is so fun to drive it is a shame it is so unreliable. The turbo was a lot of fun for a young driver like myself. I loved the car but it didn't love me back. I now am happy with my Toyota xB.

Allow for lots of trips to dealer..
By Jetta girl on 03/05/05 21:38 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Before I bought this car I had a Toyota Camry that I bought new. It was 4 years old when I purchased this VW and I never had to take it to the dealership once. I didn't even change the oil and I never had the slightest problem. Since I bought the VW I am at the dealership nearly monthly for one thing or another. It's way too much hassle and inexcusable to have so many problems on such a new car. I will say my husband bought a VW GTI the same day I bought my Jetta that he loves and hasn't had nearly as many problems as I have (but still has had problems). We also bought a 2003 Jetta for our babysitter in 2003 and she hasn't had nearly as many problems as I have, but still more than she should.

Happy not Thrilled
By DAB on 12/30/04 18:50 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my variant for 38,940 miles now. Only 2 problems, the window regulator broke and my battery died. Both of which the dealer replaced under warranty. The gas mileage is not up to what was advertised on the sticker. I did look at other compact wagons before signing on the dotted line. The Mazda P5 was down on power and the WRX wouldn't hold my golf clubs in the boot with out intruding into the back seat. Each of which you can't throw a baseball and not hit one of them on the street. For the money it was a fine purchase. I did opt for the dealer extended warranty, so I'm good up to 100,000 miles. If I did have a family I would have spent the extra grand or so on the Passat Wagon.

Frustrated with VW
By Joe23456 on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have to be up front and admit that the Jetta Wagon is fun car to drive. Unfortunately we have been experiencing an excessive amount of mechanical problems. The car has been in and out of the shop for various repairs, which have been mostly covered under warranty. At 62,000 miles (well before the scheduled 80,000 mile service) the timing belt slipped which caused a bent valve and a $5500 repair bill. I would highly recommend that if you are considering a VW that you choose a different car company. If you decide to buy a VW trade it in before it comes out of warranty.

Safe, powerful, no mechanical problems,
By Felipe M Pait on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Drives very well, "dynamic safety" is the buzzword. Standard safety features do not tempt buyer to economize in the wrong places. Station wagon's trunk spacious for car size. Engine has a lot of power, actually way more than needed. Fuel economy with turbo manual is _better_ than EPA rating; I get 30 mpg in my normal drive. No mechanical problems after 2 years, 25K miles, Boston winters. Quibbles: Windshield wipers noisy. Console in GLS model has to be in the up position, otherwise it interferes with stick shift, better not have one. Car was delivered without proper wheel balancing and alignment: dealer fixed at no cost, but still.

They're Not All Lemons
By DenverKen on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm surprised to hear about so many major problems others have had. My car has been pretty great. Last car was a Honda Civic. The Jetta is fun to drive, super peppy, comfortable, and I'm getting about 30MPG. The car was recalled for the coils (after I had to be towed once because of poor behavior related to the coils). Mechanically, the Honda was perfect - never a problem with it. The coil issues, and frequently blown taillights, are annoying, but all in all I'm very happy with the Jetta. Mine was manufactured/assembled in Germany - it was the first year of the wagons.

Not a good-buy Jetta
By SjL on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 24 months I recently traded my Jetta. Monsoon stereo was sub- par. Interior surfaces rock-hard and began peeling. Electronic gremlins, lost power and headlights. McDonald VW in Denver was only interested in sale and survey results, VERY POOR DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE. Bottom Line: This car did not offer the features, value, or reliability for the price. LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Worst car (of 8 new) we've ever owned
By Clint_ on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Performance is great. Fit and finish are impeccable. Reliability is deporable. This car has been towed eight times and spent 43 days in the shop for unscheduled maintenance. Clutch failed with same problem four times. We were charged $1000 for a new clutch which failed as I drove away from dealer! Yet they still expected us to pay for it. They only caved in after I promised to dispute credit card charge. After a dozen calls, VW's single response has been to offer $150 of dealer service.

DISAPPOINTED-Poor Quality VW
By meeghanm1236 on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have one of the VW lemons. Since 2002 car has been towed 7 times for 7 different mechanical problems. I am frustrated. I wrote to VW with copies of all receipts, NO RESPONSE. I guess they already have my money, so they could care less. Good Luck on your legal action. I wish I had the money, but with my monthly car payment for this lemon, I am broke. And carless at the moment, since it was towed once again. A brand new car, especially a VW should not have these problems.