Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I should have listened to my instinct!!
By Never Will Again

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this car thinking I would give VW a chance in hopes that they had come a long way. I knew that VW/Audi didn't have the best consumer reports for reliability, but I felt if I found one that was care for w/ low miles, I would be fine. I was wrong. In the short time I have had it, I had to replace the ignition coils, a hose, the emobilizer shut my car down from moving (when all I had was a dead battery), and now finally, the timing belt just skipped a notch and blew the head and bent valves!! You wanna know how much the repairs are? Oh about $3000-4000. That is no joke. I am so mad I ever got this car. I warn you now, don't make the mistake I did. email if you have more questions.

Tiptronic (but I was using it when I blew the timing belt)....It sounds good and all, but these cars aren't meant to be driven hard. I babied mine - I have my 4 year old riding with me all the time. I am a guy and I do my own maintenance on cars. I will never buy a VW again.

You can read the top and see that they just aren't a toyota. You might pay a little more for a toyota/lexus, but I never had a problem with either of my 4runners the whole time I owned either, and both of them were used and not new. This car was 7 years old with 70,000 miles on it...yikes huh.

FUN TO DRIVE WHEN IT'S NOT IN THE SHOP
By H. Kitty

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 Jetta used with only 32000 miles on it. A week after my purchase the brake lights didn't work...which was a recall so I took it to the dealer. Two months after owning the car my temperature sensor went out. A month after that my triptonic steering needed to be replaced which was about a 900 dollar fix. A few months after that I had to have the carbon cleaned out of my car another 800 dollars. This car is so fun to drive it is a shame it is so unreliable. The turbo was a lot of fun for a young driver like myself. I loved the car but it didn't love me back. I now am happy with my Toyota xB.

Turbo! and the comfortable interior

Needs to be more reliable!!! This would be the perfect car if it didn't require an expensive repair every couple of months. My car had only 51000 miles on it and I spent 5000+ fixing it.

Allow for lots of trips to dealer..
By Jetta girl

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Before I bought this car I had a Toyota Camry that I bought new. It was 4 years old when I purchased this VW and I never had to take it to the dealership once. I didn't even change the oil and I never had the slightest problem. Since I bought the VW I am at the dealership nearly monthly for one thing or another. It's way too much hassle and inexcusable to have so many problems on such a new car. I will say my husband bought a VW GTI the same day I bought my Jetta that he loves and hasn't had nearly as many problems as I have (but still has had problems). We also bought a 2003 Jetta for our babysitter in 2003 and she hasn't had nearly as many problems as I have, but still more than she should.

Fun to drive, when it's not having problems

Move the cup holder, it totally blocks the radio when you use it. Change the defrost on the side mirrrors to auto turn off after a period - easy to forget and burn out since "on" is the middle of the dial, where you naturally want to leave it. Change seat fabric - may as well be velcro for lint.

Happy not Thrilled
By DAB

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my variant for 38,940 miles now. Only 2 problems, the window regulator broke and my battery died. Both of which the dealer replaced under warranty. The gas mileage is not up to what was advertised on the sticker. I did look at other compact wagons before signing on the dotted line. The Mazda P5 was down on power and the WRX wouldn't hold my golf clubs in the boot with out intruding into the back seat. Each of which you can't throw a baseball and not hit one of them on the street. For the money it was a fine purchase. I did opt for the dealer extended warranty, so I'm good up to 100,000 miles. If I did have a family I would have spent the extra grand or so on the Passat Wagon.

Turbo Engine, utilitarian use of the rear cargo area and not seeing 30 other people with my model while driving home from work.

Front seat needs to be moved to far forward to fold the rear seats flat. Rear window washer from an Audi would have been better. Add fog lamps as standard, the headlight looks unfinished with the empty space there.

Frustrated with VW
By Joe23456

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have to be up front and admit that the Jetta Wagon is fun car to drive. Unfortunately we have been experiencing an excessive amount of mechanical problems. The car has been in and out of the shop for various repairs, which have been mostly covered under warranty. At 62,000 miles (well before the scheduled 80,000 mile service) the timing belt slipped which caused a bent valve and a $5500 repair bill. I would highly recommend that if you are considering a VW that you choose a different car company. If you decide to buy a VW trade it in before it comes out of warranty.

Fun to drive

Mechanical reliability. The back seats are poorly designed both for comfort ability to fold flat for increased cargo space. The front seats must be moved forward to allow the rear seats to fold flat. The cup holders are an afterthought and not very functional.