2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Wagon
By ihatecarpayments on 01/27/08 04:10 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Typical Jetta problems: car was routinely in shop. Either for annoying exterior hardware/mechanical issues (driver window continually fell off track) or for major electrical issues. Radio stopped working which we then noticed the horn didn't work. We were told that to fix the radio we needed to replace the steering wheel. And this would not ensure the radio would work after this. Engine sputtered and shuddered one day on a road trip which required an emergency stop at a garage to get O2 sensor replaced. Bottom line: VW does not stand by their own cars. They would just simply respond as if this is to be expected from a VW. They suggested we buy a new one.

Don't want my wife driving this one..
By sellingmyvw on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this 02 Wagon about 6 months ago and have put about 16000 miles on her since then. Not really what I had expected. The temperature light comes on all the time. The doors froze shut in the winter and the 20 mpg on the highway is killing me. I went to fold down the back seats today and the bottom part of the back seats hits the front seats. Ya have to be pretty small to drive and have the seats down at the same time. Overall...not a very good car.

I got lesss than i expected, way less...
By Frodzilla on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this vechile for about 18 months. I have had to have the transmission worked on twice and it is still slipping. The power windows never seem to work right and tend to fall down when you are trying to close them. I am very disappointed in this car. If i wanted to purchase a car that was this faulty i would have bought a cheaper one. I love the way this car looks and the way it handles, when the transmission isn't slipping, but i wish i had known about these problems prior to spending $26,000 +.

Not a reliable car
By madatedmunds on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

3rd time trying to post this - maybe Edmunds is screening??? The car is fun to drive, is good-looking and powerful, but a pain in the butt. Problems with brakes, windows falling out, oxygen sensors (plural!), stereo, A/C, you name it. There is a reason the labor is cheaper in Mexico. Maybe the car is DESIGNED in Germany, but it isn't MADE in Germany. Unfortunately a test drive will not reveal the problems; living with the car will though.

Lemon
By Jane Ricci on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We have been very dissatisfied with our 2000 VW Jetta. We bought the top of the line Jetta because we thought we would have it forever, but are selling it in less than two years. Broken things have included: sunroof (got stuck open and pieces began falling out), cup holder, six changer CD player, left back door wouldn't open, front grill pieces. Malfunctions include: mass air flow system, electronic power control, emmissions system, and engine problems.