2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Still a Good Car
By TSmith on 01/11/10 20:01 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Jetta Wagon for 8 years now and have 115k miles on it. This has been a good car. I tend to drive cars into the ground and have completed this mission with several Toyotas... so I know good cars. I have had a few problems with the plastic handles on the glove box and arm rest. They have been replaced. The door seal tends to freeze the door shut when left over night in very cold weather. Other than these small problems this has been a carefree car. I know two other people that own this same wagon and they have had the same luck with their cars that I have with mine. Consumer Reports did a very poor job of reviewing this car. I would recommend this car.

Just what I Wanted
By RobertEther on 04/05/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable, luxury features, great gas mileage (as good or better than advertised), good space for cargo ...all the things I wanted when I shopped for a car.

Great Car!
By nadmonk on 10/18/07 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after owning 3 Accords in a row I was a little leery considering some of the reliability stories you hear of VW. This car has been great, even with the 2.0 4cyl it is fun to drive, the mileage exceeds their claim. The exterior styling isn't for everyone, but I like it. The Monsoon stereo is great. I have had no mech or elec problems. The only issues are that the air vents seem to get damaged easily and the seat cloth holds lint like mad. The cup holders are a pain, but I think that's a German thing as even BMWs have subpar holders. Just be sure to use a closed top lid unless you want to spend a weekend cleaning coffee out of the stereo like I did from the prev owner.

Great & Dependable
By No major complaints on 04/21/05 10:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car 3 years now without any trouble, our second VW (we also have a Beetle). The cargo capacity is terrific, the handling is smooth, the mileage is very good. Overall a great car for the price. One note: VWs do burn oil so I check the level about every 6 weeks or so.

Great car, but....
By jonnyGURU on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What bugs me is the little, stupid failures in attention to detail. The power window's cable clips inside the doors broke (replaced), the latch for the center console broke, the rubberized surface on some of the plastic interior pieces is peeling, the rear windows washer leaks, and the center caps on my front two wheels FELL OFF. The check engine light just lit up too. Car drives great. Quiet, smooth. Like I said, the little details suck.

Don't do it!
By StuckWithIt on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my GLS Wagon for 19 months and it has been a complete nightmare. In and out of the shop with more problems that I care to type in (including transmission replacement). There are a lot of people with the same problem as me (www.myvwlemon.com). When the car is working it is fun to drive, but it doesn't run long enough for me to enjoy. I would not suggest the headache until VW fixes their quality problems.

Wolfsburg Jettas are better
By RShepherd on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my Jetta Wagon. The build quality is excellent with none of the squeaks and rattles that so often plague Puebla Jettas (all wagons are made in Wolfsburg while all No. American bound sedans are made in Mexico).It rides better than just about any small car (the Ford Focus comes close)and has a tight steering feel and excellent brakes. The interior (especially leather like mine) looks like an Audi and much better than any other subcompact car. The seats are very firm, but comfortable for long-distance travel. If it were stolen today, I'd buy another one, but probably one with manual transmission.

a hard-to-beat combo
By socalscribe on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this car, despite a 115-hp base engine, is a lot of fun to drive. it is comfortable, roomy, as safe as anything in its class. sleek styling. fuel economy is consistently 24-26 mpg, even in the city. ride is smooth; handling is great. the car does not accelerate quickly through lower gears, unless pushed, but once in third moves fast. cruises well at high speeds. the 2.0 base engine is said to be more reliable than the turbo, and with a stick it's still fun to drive. leather interior and sunroof give this car the feel of others costing more; it compares favorably to the volvo v40. overall, it's a sleek, safe, reliable, well priced, fun to drive car.

Great car, burns some oil
By uhermes on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta 2002 Wagon is my first new car that I bought. I really like it (handling, gas consumption, design). The only problem that I ran into is its consumption of oil on my 2.0l engine. The dealership tells me it is okay to burn up to a quart every 1000miles. My car burns about half of that. This sounds more like these old two stroke East German engines. No new car should burn oil (after the first 1000miles), this is ridiculous! As a native German, I can't believe that VW is telling this to its customers here. After completing my offical oil consumption test, I will get the "1qt/1000miles" statement in writing and call Wolfsburg!

Great for my little family
By RobH on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It fits our needs. We defined them before we purchased a vehicle. We test drove the Japanese cars that are in the same price range & this car felt better on the road, we enjoyed the interior layout more. The only way to describe it is it felt more solid on the road than the other cars. The back seat in the vehicle is not really built for LARGE adults, but again it is just my wife our 2 year old and me. When we add a child in the future we still won't use all the space. We have not had mechanical problems with our Wagon. We have 10,000 miles on it. Best sporty wagon on the road for the price, plus we feel safe in it (great safety ratings.