Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Still a Good Car
By TSmith

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Jetta Wagon for 8 years now and have 115k miles on it. This has been a good car. I tend to drive cars into the ground and have completed this mission with several Toyotas... so I know good cars. I have had a few problems with the plastic handles on the glove box and arm rest. They have been replaced. The door seal tends to freeze the door shut when left over night in very cold weather. Other than these small problems this has been a carefree car. I know two other people that own this same wagon and they have had the same luck with their cars that I have with mine. Consumer Reports did a very poor job of reviewing this car. I would recommend this car.

Fun to drive and lots of room for a small car. Sun roof. Can't stop this car with studded tires on it in the winter. Lots of power to weight ratio.

Not much for this type of car. I do not expect this car to last as long as my Toyotas but still it has been fine for 115k miles.

Just what I Wanted
By RobertEther

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable, luxury features, great gas mileage (as good or better than advertised), good space for cargo ...all the things I wanted when I shopped for a car.

Luxury features...leather, monsoon radio, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc

Black plastic piece under front bumper hangs too low. Take care when (head- in) parking..

Great Car!
By nadmonk

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after owning 3 Accords in a row I was a little leery considering some of the reliability stories you hear of VW. This car has been great, even with the 2.0 4cyl it is fun to drive, the mileage exceeds their claim. The exterior styling isn't for everyone, but I like it. The Monsoon stereo is great. I have had no mech or elec problems. The only issues are that the air vents seem to get damaged easily and the seat cloth holds lint like mad. The cup holders are a pain, but I think that's a German thing as even BMWs have subpar holders. Just be sure to use a closed top lid unless you want to spend a weekend cleaning coffee out of the stereo like I did from the prev owner.

Handling, steering feel, stereo, looks, reliability, ergonomics, grippy seats, fuel economy.

Better cup holders, sturdier air vents, grippy seats grip lint too.

Great & Dependable
By No major complaints

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car 3 years now without any trouble, our second VW (we also have a Beetle). The cargo capacity is terrific, the handling is smooth, the mileage is very good. Overall a great car for the price. One note: VWs do burn oil so I check the level about every 6 weeks or so.

Power Moonroof, front cup holders, ability to close windows and moonroof with key in the door after engine is off, cargo capacity, split seat, side airbags/overall safety features.

This car is smaller in leg room than the Passat. If you are tall and need the leg room, best to pay up. Location of front cup holder is not ideal - it blocks access/view to the radio.

Great car, but....
By jonnyGURU

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What bugs me is the little, stupid failures in attention to detail. The power window's cable clips inside the doors broke (replaced), the latch for the center console broke, the rubberized surface on some of the plastic interior pieces is peeling, the rear windows washer leaks, and the center caps on my front two wheels FELL OFF. The check engine light just lit up too. Car drives great. Quiet, smooth. Like I said, the little details suck.

Plenty of power for a small 2.0 and a high curb weight. Loads of room. Comfy seats. Monsoon stereo is NICE.

Don't rubberize the plastic trim if the rubberization is going to PEEL. Use snap on center caps and not GLUED ON. Use a metal latching device on the center console. Not tiny little plastic pieces.