Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2002 Jetta 1.8T
By chumani

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

If it makes you feel better I have a wagon. This car would be a great car if all the parts could be shipped next day from Germany. Good luck with your transmission. You can start thinking about replacing it at 60,000 miles. The tiptronic switch is easy to replace if you're a mechanical geek but if not it will cost you around $500.00 to fix. This is not the kind car you buy parts from your local part store. Be ready to get dirty and learn how your car works or pay a hefty price at the shop and I'm just talking about your regular maintenance. If you can afford the upkeep of an Audi then go for it because that's what you're buying anyway.

Black on black

Transmission problems
By josevi

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I came to the Jetta Wagon from a Civic and it is I came to the Jetta Wagon from a Civic and I have to say that it is a much better car. The cargo capacity is incredible, especially considering its compact size. However, like many European cars, it suffers from electronic gremlins (most of the issues, solved under warranty). More worrying was extensive cylinder work at around 50k miles and a rebuilt transmission at 70k, the latter, according to internet forums being a common issue. Despite its practicality, its comfort and attractive design, I would not recommend that you buy a second-hand one. I am trying to get a couple of years more of mine and will move on to a different brand.

Design. Behavior in road (very composed). Comfort. Cargo hold (I have not seen something that I cannot fit in this compact wagon). Spec for the price. Sound equipment. Little wind noise, the engine being on the quiet side, even considering that it is a four banger. (especially compared to a Civic)

Reliability. The transmission is a common problem and VW should really address it and make good by their clients. Some flimsy finish (I am on the third armrest storage latch, and I consider myself a pretty careful person).

Never again VW!
By megaroo1

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I really anticipated this being a car I could drive forever (at least to 150,000). Volkswagen has lost a customer. This car was a lemon. A nightmare. Last year I spent 3500 just keeping it running. All the problems everyone else reports are true! Small random pieces falling off everywhere. Cheap interior fabric ripping on, replace ac at only 75,00, break problems, tire wear issues, Burns oil like crazy, failure to shift properly, transmission issues, lots of noises. At 95,000 miles it started blacking out while I was driving, a terrifying experience. Had to cut my losses and let it go. All the while having these problems, the mechanic laughs and acts like I am crazy. Do not buy a VW!

At first I really loved this car, until it turned into a bratty little %$&*# around 50k miles. It was like dating a high maintenance person that constantly needed expensive purchases to keep it going. Ridiculous

Build a quality car! You are losing customers left and right. Only brain washed idiots are falling for your German engineering bit. I will never buy a VW again- and have spoken to many others that feel the same. The jig is up!

Fun But Troublesome
By SethEaston

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this car at first sight. It was fast, comfortable, fun, and the wagon offers generous space. The VR6 combined with the 5-speed provided lots of good times. Then came the problems. Little by little, this car started having electrical issues. O2 sensor, plug wires, ECU, random blinking lights, check engine light for no reason, and more. The "Comfort Module" also went out, causing the moonroof, door locks/alarm, horn, and interior lights to stop working. The final straw, yesterday I found out the timing chain had basically destroyed the engine. The service guy at the dealer told that my only option was to "get rid of it". Even he acknowledged that these cars are junk.

Powerful VR6 engine, very smooth transmission, tank-like build quality, great looks.

Besides the electrical issues, this has horrible fuel economy for a small car (max of 23 mog highway) and a small tank!

Still a Good Car
By TSmith

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Jetta Wagon for 8 years now and have 115k miles on it. This has been a good car. I tend to drive cars into the ground and have completed this mission with several Toyotas... so I know good cars. I have had a few problems with the plastic handles on the glove box and arm rest. They have been replaced. The door seal tends to freeze the door shut when left over night in very cold weather. Other than these small problems this has been a carefree car. I know two other people that own this same wagon and they have had the same luck with their cars that I have with mine. Consumer Reports did a very poor job of reviewing this car. I would recommend this car.

Fun to drive and lots of room for a small car. Sun roof. Can't stop this car with studded tires on it in the winter. Lots of power to weight ratio.

Not much for this type of car. I do not expect this car to last as long as my Toyotas but still it has been fine for 115k miles.