2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2002 Jetta 1.8T
By chumani on 06/12/13 12:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

If it makes you feel better I have a wagon. This car would be a great car if all the parts could be shipped next day from Germany. Good luck with your transmission. You can start thinking about replacing it at 60,000 miles. The tiptronic switch is easy to replace if you're a mechanical geek but if not it will cost you around $500.00 to fix. This is not the kind car you buy parts from your local part store. Be ready to get dirty and learn how your car works or pay a hefty price at the shop and I'm just talking about your regular maintenance. If you can afford the upkeep of an Audi then go for it because that's what you're buying anyway.

Transmission problems
By josevi on 12/21/10 19:17 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I came to the Jetta Wagon from a Civic and it is I came to the Jetta Wagon from a Civic and I have to say that it is a much better car. The cargo capacity is incredible, especially considering its compact size. However, like many European cars, it suffers from electronic gremlins (most of the issues, solved under warranty). More worrying was extensive cylinder work at around 50k miles and a rebuilt transmission at 70k, the latter, according to internet forums being a common issue. Despite its practicality, its comfort and attractive design, I would not recommend that you buy a second-hand one. I am trying to get a couple of years more of mine and will move on to a different brand.

Never again VW!
By megaroo1 on 07/03/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I really anticipated this being a car I could drive forever (at least to 150,000). Volkswagen has lost a customer. This car was a lemon. A nightmare. Last year I spent 3500 just keeping it running. All the problems everyone else reports are true! Small random pieces falling off everywhere. Cheap interior fabric ripping on, replace ac at only 75,00, break problems, tire wear issues, Burns oil like crazy, failure to shift properly, transmission issues, lots of noises. At 95,000 miles it started blacking out while I was driving, a terrifying experience. Had to cut my losses and let it go. All the while having these problems, the mechanic laughs and acts like I am crazy. Do not buy a VW!

Fun But Troublesome
By SethEaston on 04/07/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this car at first sight. It was fast, comfortable, fun, and the wagon offers generous space. The VR6 combined with the 5-speed provided lots of good times. Then came the problems. Little by little, this car started having electrical issues. O2 sensor, plug wires, ECU, random blinking lights, check engine light for no reason, and more. The "Comfort Module" also went out, causing the moonroof, door locks/alarm, horn, and interior lights to stop working. The final straw, yesterday I found out the timing chain had basically destroyed the engine. The service guy at the dealer told that my only option was to "get rid of it". Even he acknowledged that these cars are junk.

Still a Good Car
By TSmith on 01/11/10 20:01 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Jetta Wagon for 8 years now and have 115k miles on it. This has been a good car. I tend to drive cars into the ground and have completed this mission with several Toyotas... so I know good cars. I have had a few problems with the plastic handles on the glove box and arm rest. They have been replaced. The door seal tends to freeze the door shut when left over night in very cold weather. Other than these small problems this has been a carefree car. I know two other people that own this same wagon and they have had the same luck with their cars that I have with mine. Consumer Reports did a very poor job of reviewing this car. I would recommend this car.

I should have listened to my instinct!!
By Never Will Again on 08/30/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this car thinking I would give VW a chance in hopes that they had come a long way. I knew that VW/Audi didn't have the best consumer reports for reliability, but I felt if I found one that was care for w/ low miles, I would be fine. I was wrong. In the short time I have had it, I had to replace the ignition coils, a hose, the emobilizer shut my car down from moving (when all I had was a dead battery), and now finally, the timing belt just skipped a notch and blew the head and bent valves!! You wanna know how much the repairs are? Oh about $3000-4000. That is no joke. I am so mad I ever got this car. I warn you now, don't make the mistake I did. email if you have more questions.

FUN TO DRIVE WHEN IT'S NOT IN THE SHOP
By H. Kitty on 07/16/09 08:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 Jetta used with only 32000 miles on it. A week after my purchase the brake lights didn't work...which was a recall so I took it to the dealer. Two months after owning the car my temperature sensor went out. A month after that my triptonic steering needed to be replaced which was about a 900 dollar fix. A few months after that I had to have the carbon cleaned out of my car another 800 dollars. This car is so fun to drive it is a shame it is so unreliable. The turbo was a lot of fun for a young driver like myself. I loved the car but it didn't love me back. I now am happy with my Toyota xB.

3 years 35,000 mi
By Jessica on 06/02/08 22:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very fun car to drive - we bought prior to birth of 1st child and expected to have it for 10 yrs. Now expecting 2nd child we realize two car seats will not fit the very shallow back seat. I have not experienced many of the mechanical/interior issues as other posters.

Just what I Wanted
By RobertEther on 04/05/08 12:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable, luxury features, great gas mileage (as good or better than advertised), good space for cargo ...all the things I wanted when I shopped for a car.

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Wagon
By ihatecarpayments on 01/27/08 04:10 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Typical Jetta problems: car was routinely in shop. Either for annoying exterior hardware/mechanical issues (driver window continually fell off track) or for major electrical issues. Radio stopped working which we then noticed the horn didn't work. We were told that to fix the radio we needed to replace the steering wheel. And this would not ensure the radio would work after this. Engine sputtered and shuddered one day on a road trip which required an emergency stop at a garage to get O2 sensor replaced. Bottom line: VW does not stand by their own cars. They would just simply respond as if this is to be expected from a VW. They suggested we buy a new one.