2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
2002 GLI VR6
By jkv on 11/17/07 17:28 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car practically new from a private party. It had only 28300 miles on it and was in excellent condition. The car was loaded having 17" rims with Michelin high performance tires along with sunroof, premium sound, smoked tail lights, etc. the car is amazing to drive with the sports suspension. Has excellent handling and good performance from the 200hp v6 engine. I'm a very happy man.

This car is amazing
By joshall on 05/23/06 18:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for almost two years now and still walk outside and smile. I will have put almost 70,000 miles on it when I get to two years (I drive from site to site for work) and have had no issues I couldn't handle myself. While parts are expensive for the car, it is amazingly reliable. It may cost $60 to change the oil or $50 if you do it yourself, but you only have to change it every 8,000 - 10,000 miles because it uses fully synthetic oil. I haven't sensed any power loss after all this time and hope to keep this car FOREVER.

Traded in....what a relief!
By Chelle on 03/12/06 10:11 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I loved my Jetta VR6. When purchased I made sure it had all the bells and whistles...I was in love. It didn't take long for it to start letting me down.. AC went out- Heated seats went out- water pump went out- windows rattled until a piece finally broke. Last week I was told the transmission was leaking which was the culprit of the engine light coming on over and over. In a nutshell I loved this car. It was so much fun to drive and design was great... I was forced in to parting with it because mechanically it began giving way far too early. I had regular maintenance and it didn't help prevent problems. I would never buy another Jetta or any VW for that matter. Gone back to Honda, like home!

Still Going Strong
By My Red GLI on 07/25/05 19:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

After 3 years, my Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 is still running strong and performing well. Had the recall items fixed with no hassle. Only required maintenance and a few special modifications. Best car I've had.

Excellent car, fun to drive
By Jennifer DeSanzo on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

We also had coil pack problems, on back order for 2 weeks. VW reembursed us for loss of usage for those weeks (leased car). Have not had any problems since. Absolutely love the car. A great value for the performance and options.

So much for the Germans
By scott1483 on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have 6000 miles on a brand new GLI. Its been in the shop for a cumulative of 20 days for the same electrical problem. This electrical problem inhibits the use of this car and makes it very unreliable. VW will not take responsibility and repurchase the car, and it falls way into the ball park of a Lemon.

fun
By shiner on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This car is very fast and a lot of fun. I too had the coil problem, but my dealer fixed it quickly and gave me a rental in the mean time. Since then it has run flawlessly. Second gear is a bit funny. If you don't hit it just right it can bog a bit. Otherwise, I'm looking forward, and fully expecting, to taking it to 300k miles.

GLI is the way to go!
By h0mersimps0n on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

just think of every aspect of a car and add excellent as an adjective and you are describing a VW GLI JETTA

best car ever
By steve stearns on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

this car is the greatest you can take through anything and its handles pretty dam good on the off road

Great Car
By Tony Allison on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Great car, VW's answer to the BMW