Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2002 GLI VR6
By jkv

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car practically new from a private party. It had only 28300 miles on it and was in excellent condition. The car was loaded having 17" rims with Michelin high performance tires along with sunroof, premium sound, smoked tail lights, etc. the car is amazing to drive with the sports suspension. Has excellent handling and good performance from the 200hp v6 engine. I'm a very happy man.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Just a minor thing really... I think the gear ratio should be raised since the revs go up so quickly. You shift a lot in just a few secs in the gear before you know it, your in 5th then 6th.

This car is amazing
By joshall

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for almost two years now and still walk outside and smile. I will have put almost 70,000 miles on it when I get to two years (I drive from site to site for work) and have had no issues I couldn't handle myself. While parts are expensive for the car, it is amazingly reliable. It may cost $60 to change the oil or $50 if you do it yourself, but you only have to change it every 8,000 - 10,000 miles because it uses fully synthetic oil. I haven't sensed any power loss after all this time and hope to keep this car FOREVER.

Favorite Features

The 6-speed transmission is much more reliable than VWs automatic transmissions which have had always had problems. The heated seats are to die for. So far this car has been extremely reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the price of parts. Lower the car itself. It handles corners much more smoothly when lowered than it did at stock height.

Traded in....what a relief!
By Chelle

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I loved my Jetta VR6. When purchased I made sure it had all the bells and whistles...I was in love. It didn't take long for it to start letting me down.. AC went out- Heated seats went out- water pump went out- windows rattled until a piece finally broke. Last week I was told the transmission was leaking which was the culprit of the engine light coming on over and over. In a nutshell I loved this car. It was so much fun to drive and design was great... I was forced in to parting with it because mechanically it began giving way far too early. I had regular maintenance and it didn't help prevent problems. I would never buy another Jetta or any VW for that matter. Gone back to Honda, like home!

Favorite Features

Feels great to drive. Dash lights are the coolest! Heated electric seats were so comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Overall the Jetta gives out mechanically... water pump, transmission, alternater - not to mention the extras that went out... A/C - electric windows...heather seats

Still Going Strong
By My Red GLI

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

After 3 years, my Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 is still running strong and performing well. Had the recall items fixed with no hassle. Only required maintenance and a few special modifications. Best car I've had.

Favorite Features

The 6-speed transmission, moon roof, overall handling and engine performance.

Suggested Improvements

cup holders in back

Excellent car, fun to drive
By Jennifer DeSanzo

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

We also had coil pack problems, on back order for 2 weeks. VW reembursed us for loss of usage for those weeks (leased car). Have not had any problems since. Absolutely love the car. A great value for the performance and options.

Favorite Features

201 hp, 200 ft-lbs VR6,a 6 speed tranny, and great handling. What more can I say. Who really cares about cup holders?

Suggested Improvements

Gear box a little rubber, and could use an upgrade to Z-rated tires.