2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Jetta VR6= (Road+Car+Driver)^(Connected)
By hola_dan on 10/29/08 18:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a VR6 and boy, I am so happy that I finally got one last year. I bought a used GLX 5-speed manual with all the options and only 26,000 miles. I have since improved the car by conditioning the leather and waxing it a couple of times - that's how much I like this car. It has many features you would not expect on a compact car - rear sunshade, automatic windshield wipers, excellent interior illumination (even with ambient LED lighting), fog lamps, REAL wood trim, excellent leather. However, the best thing of this car is the way you connect to it when you drive it. Around town it is amazingly fun to drive, and at high speeds, it is dead stable. Great European car!

Fun Car with a lot of speed
By KJN on 08/23/08 16:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 VW Jetta VR6 GLX in late 2005 right before the new models started to hit the dealerships. I knew I was paying more for a VW and this model has all the extras that reflected the price. The Pick-up for a small sedan without aftermarket enhancements has to be one of the best. The fuel economy is not great, but it is a V6 so that is expected. I have done minimal maintenance and the car is still running great. I wish there was Mp3 capability with the car, but I guess since it is a 2002 that was not an option. It would be great if they made the Jetta in an AWD model!

Lion of the concrete Jungle
By Sharkie on 05/28/08 12:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car to RAS!!! VW's especially the VR6 (jetta/golf) go down well with people who love and care for them and not recommended for car neglects. Treat them well and they will go down in history with you. I will never drive anything else than a VW (6cyl) or an Audi. The good thing about them is you can really supe them up nice and steady. They are great @ curves and i will always recommend the shift stick (6spd) to transmission.

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Help help help on 08/03/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Many, many, problems with this car. Repairs are often and expensive, most of which only VW can do. Just in the last 15 months, valve body $2600, over heat $440, AC cooling fan $625, new water pump $920. There have been many other issues, rear joint berrings, engine light coming on, cheap plastic on the interior, broken knobs, broken armrest, door handle material peeling off, radio quits and only VW has the special key to replace fuse, greasy insulation oozes from doors. And there were a half dozen recalls in the first couple years, power windows, brakes, etc. The resale on this car is terrible, once the warranty is out it depreciates much faster the other brands.

Volkswagen Jetta GLX
By Jonathan on 10/31/05 22:38 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 has given me no problems at all. It's my first car ever. I love the nice interior, the car drives perfectly, and I haven't had any trouble with it at all. People always say that they're having problem with this car but it depends on the person and how they take care of it such as getting the oil changes, topping off all the liquids, and things of that nature. It has great horsepower. I have nothing but respect for this car.

What a blast!
By Team Young on 10/20/05 17:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for a 4 door car with a manual tranny that was fun to drive, has some get-up & go and wasn't going to break the bank. I think I found the best car out there that fit those requirements. I puchased it used from a private party. He took good care of it and had all records and services and the local VW garage. It has run great! It jumps off the line and has plenty zip. Watch out or a speeding ticket will follow. I did a lot or research before I purchased this car and there was some talk about the engine problems but I think most of those are with the newer version that came out in the start of 2003. Mine has the 174 HP motor and it runs great with no problems. I love the tight cornering and the handling is awesome!

Looks can be deceiving
By johnnyhatesjetta on 02/24/05 16:26 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Read all the sites before you buy a jetta!! I know I made a mistake, don't let it be you. The car looked awesome. Got more than a few compliments on the road. It had more than adequate performance with a 200 v6 and 5 speed auto. Nice sounds from the stereo when it worked. Loved to cruise at very high speeds.

Minor things turns into STRESS makers
By jettajason on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my Vw all of its life. I also had to get the windows reinstalled with the "metal clips" instead of the cheap plasic ones that Mexico put in. That was the first trip to the shop June 02, second time was last year...transmission seemed to start slipping, they reset the trans computer and was running great for 4 weeks and started it again,went to the shop about 3wks ago(9/04)to get oil changed and complained about the brakes making a loud squeeking noise, (tech said nothing wrong) still doing it and it feels sometimes like it sputters when I put it in drive,(tech found nothing wrong as well. Power seat ate its plug for the motor,going to the shop tomorrow for the 8 things on my list

VW Jetta
By DawnD on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My favorite car, fast, fun to drive and lots of style. No need for an Audi or BMW when you have the VW GLX VR6. Its a great car with lots of features and you feel safe

an honest review
By effigy3 on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My current car is GLX 5M and is my 5th VW. This car has wonderful road manners, is quiet, powerful, comfortable, and looks great. I must have a car that can handle itself on windy highway roads at speed limit plus velocities and this car delivers! The pick a line and go, the body sets itself and tracks wonderfully. It is great for road tips and as a grocery-getter too. Just keep rear seat occupants under 6' tall. I have had great luck with my VWs but have seen others with “check engine light” issues, window regulator failures, and small irritants. Could it be their maintenance practices? I don't know.