Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Jetta VR6= (Road+Car+Driver)^(Connected)
By hola_dan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a VR6 and boy, I am so happy that I finally got one last year. I bought a used GLX 5-speed manual with all the options and only 26,000 miles. I have since improved the car by conditioning the leather and waxing it a couple of times - that's how much I like this car. It has many features you would not expect on a compact car - rear sunshade, automatic windshield wipers, excellent interior illumination (even with ambient LED lighting), fog lamps, REAL wood trim, excellent leather. However, the best thing of this car is the way you connect to it when you drive it. Around town it is amazingly fun to drive, and at high speeds, it is dead stable. Great European car!

Definitely the drive, and luxury features one wouldn't expect. Great attention to detail. I dread the day I'll have to sell this car!

A few interior rattles, clutch seems a little loose.

Fun Car with a lot of speed
By KJN

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 VW Jetta VR6 GLX in late 2005 right before the new models started to hit the dealerships. I knew I was paying more for a VW and this model has all the extras that reflected the price. The Pick-up for a small sedan without aftermarket enhancements has to be one of the best. The fuel economy is not great, but it is a V6 so that is expected. I have done minimal maintenance and the car is still running great. I wish there was Mp3 capability with the car, but I guess since it is a 2002 that was not an option. It would be great if they made the Jetta in an AWD model!

VR6 Engine. Leather Interior. Climate Control. Moon Roof. Power seats. Solid VW body.

AWD model sometime soon.. Better Gas Mileage. More head room.

Lion of the concrete Jungle
By Sharkie

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car to RAS!!! VW's especially the VR6 (jetta/golf) go down well with people who love and care for them and not recommended for car neglects. Treat them well and they will go down in history with you. I will never drive anything else than a VW (6cyl) or an Audi. The good thing about them is you can really supe them up nice and steady. They are great @ curves and i will always recommend the shift stick (6spd) to transmission.

The VR6 has a very unrefined but silent sound. "Sometimes i wish they roar like the R32's". It has a splendid gear to speed ratio with an unending 2nd gear drft.

Trunk space as well as space in the engine to change headlight bulbs - "Mind you these are just cosmetics that can be lived with.."

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Help help help

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Many, many, problems with this car. Repairs are often and expensive, most of which only VW can do. Just in the last 15 months, valve body $2600, over heat $440, AC cooling fan $625, new water pump $920. There have been many other issues, rear joint berrings, engine light coming on, cheap plastic on the interior, broken knobs, broken armrest, door handle material peeling off, radio quits and only VW has the special key to replace fuse, greasy insulation oozes from doors. And there were a half dozen recalls in the first couple years, power windows, brakes, etc. The resale on this car is terrible, once the warranty is out it depreciates much faster the other brands.

The car has lots of power and is fun to drive. It hugs the road and takes curves beautifully.

Cup holder location blocks the radio/cd. Don't use cheap plastic on the interior. Stop the need for so many repairs, stop charging too much for repairs, make your cars so you are not the only one who can repair them.

Volkswagen Jetta GLX
By Jonathan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 has given me no problems at all. It's my first car ever. I love the nice interior, the car drives perfectly, and I haven't had any trouble with it at all. People always say that they're having problem with this car but it depends on the person and how they take care of it such as getting the oil changes, topping off all the liquids, and things of that nature. It has great horsepower. I have nothing but respect for this car.

The horspower, automatic transmission, interior, exterior style, price, everything.

none