Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

BMW here I come
By BMW here I come!!!

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and fell in love with it, until I realized that I was going to be at the dealer every 4 or 5 months because something failed or broke.

Favorite Features

Stereo system, moon roof, seat heaters, the incredible speed this car is capable of

Suggested Improvements

Make a much more reliable car. I'm so disappointed in this German car. I had a 1969 VW bug that I drove into the ground. I had to trade this one in at 81,000 miles. I will never purchase a VW again. BMW here I come.

Money Pit
By vwdesign22

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car, or at least I did the day I bought it. I wish I had done a little more research on this make and model before I purchased. I am a young designer just out of school and this car has caused me to go into debt. It was uniformed decision and I have spent well over $7,000 in rapairs on this car. I thought it was a practical and smart choice, yet I have been proven wrong. VW did reimburse me for a mass air flow sensor that was replaced 3 times in a 3 month period. I have had less luck in trying to get a proper diagnosis and repair for my car at a dealership. It seems that they just cant figure out what the problem is, and I just cant seem to aford paying for parts I don't need

Favorite Features

Looks cute and has a great stereo system!

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest more well equiped mechanics and a training seminar in customer service for the dealership Service Dept.

More Safe, More Fun, More Reliable! :)
By Megan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

There is a reason why the Jetta is the #1-selling European car in the US. I first owned a 2000 Jetta (same as my 2002); this car saved my life and was fun and reliable every step of the way. I have owned my 2002 GLS VR6 sedan since new, and I love my baby to pieces. The standard safety features - ABS, 8 airbags, safety cell construction - cannot be beat. The time- tested VR6 engine is an absolute blast to drive. I can tell you in 100% honesty that I have had ZERO mechanical, electrical, or other reliability issues with this car - NONE. I am fully confident in Jettas and I never plan on buying anything but VWs. If you pressed me for one complaint, Jettas don't come with power seats, which is not a big deal to me.

Favorite Features

The smile-factor from the driving experience, cornering, traction, VR6 power, Monsoon audio, seat comfort, cargo capacity, proven safety, build quality, German engineering, heated seats, indigo/red interior lighting, exterior styling, standard features, colors, tried-and-true engine and car!

Suggested Improvements

Until late in 2002, CD players did not come standard, but mine was easy to modify. The hinges on the armrest wore out, but were replaced under warranty. What's known as "soft-touch" material - what covers the interior grab handles and climate controls - has a tendency to peel. Luckily, I had a warranty.

Save your $
By Harry36

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car has cost me more money then anyother car that I have owned or what my family has owned. The 19 miles per gallon is a crock. I fill my tank up at least every five days, and I am on the average driving it only 20 miles a day. Save your mony if you think you like it. Looks don't alwasy mean eveything!

Hope you live close to the dealer
By NancyM

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had to take my Jetta to the dealership 3 times in the last 8 months to get the windows fixed. The lift mechanisms keep breaking. So unless you live within 10 miles of the dealership, and even then it is a pain, the problems override the fun in driving.