Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

STOP!
By STOP!

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car! My engine light is the only electronic item that works, it's always on. Radio, door locks, windows headlights, only work when they want to. You almost have to bring it into the shop for everything because you need a special tool to do anything on the car. I will never buy another VW again! I wouldn't even feel comfortable giving this car to a friend.

Well, it is a nice color.

Yeah, VW could stand behind this car a little more. They are well aware of the issues that this car has and refuse to address them at all.

WONDERFUL CAR
By Ginger

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I Love my VW Jetta- for some reason mine has not had any problems! The car has over a 100,000 miles now and is still running like a champ! Great car, affordable, and very cute!

Everything! Huge Trunk, Very reliable, Great sound system!

Great features, terrible reliability.
By JohnJetta

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If this car were more reliable, (or at all reliable), I would be completely satisfied with it. It has a great interior with plenty of useful features and a good design. I love the look of the outside as well. BUT, this car has been nothing but trouble since the day I got it. It is in the shop AT LEAST once a month, and repairs on German cars are expensive! The check engine light is basically on more than it is off. Make sure you have a lot of money to spare and an extra car if you decide to buy a Volkswagen!

Interior design and styling, how the dash lights up blue, door handles that match the body color, great stereo!

Terribly unreliable. It is in the shop all the time with new problems that cost at least $500 to fix.

Oil burning, tranny chewing.
By Ryan

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta with 64,000 miles. 100% of its service on schedule performed at only VW dealers. Last week the auto developed a shifting problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. We took the car to VW where Several shocking events then occurred: 1. VW tranny's are sealed, not serviceable, and to check what was wrong with the shifting would cost $648. 2. This was a common problem on the 4cyl Jetta 3. Our $648 would go towards the cost of 1 of 2 outcomes: (1) New Valve Body in the Tranny $1800 or (2) Re manufactured by VW tranny for $4400-The car is worth 6-7000 bucks putting us in an interesting dilemma. [Side note, the car burns ~1 quart of oil per 1,200 miles which the dealer wouldn't fix under warranty

Buying a quart of oil every 1,200 miles was so Fun! and the floor pan floods from the Sun-roof. The door rattles were sweet too.

The tranny that lasted 64K was outstanding

Don't Buy VW Jetta
By khalo

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought Jetta 02, August 2007. I spent lot money in repair, in 9 months cost me lot. Lot of electric problems, and interior falling apart. In 9 months the car been in the shop more than 6 times, never fixed. Don't buy it. Thanks

Green color

Better electric system and better materials inside the car.