2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
STOP!
By STOP! on 03/21/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do not buy this car! My engine light is the only electronic item that works, it's always on. Radio, door locks, windows headlights, only work when they want to. You almost have to bring it into the shop for everything because you need a special tool to do anything on the car. I will never buy another VW again! I wouldn't even feel comfortable giving this car to a friend.

WONDERFUL CAR
By Ginger on 08/04/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I Love my VW Jetta- for some reason mine has not had any problems! The car has over a 100,000 miles now and is still running like a champ! Great car, affordable, and very cute!

Great features, terrible reliability.
By JohnJetta on 05/02/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If this car were more reliable, (or at all reliable), I would be completely satisfied with it. It has a great interior with plenty of useful features and a good design. I love the look of the outside as well. BUT, this car has been nothing but trouble since the day I got it. It is in the shop AT LEAST once a month, and repairs on German cars are expensive! The check engine light is basically on more than it is off. Make sure you have a lot of money to spare and an extra car if you decide to buy a Volkswagen!

Oil burning, tranny chewing.
By Ryan on 01/30/09 16:51 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta with 64,000 miles. 100% of its service on schedule performed at only VW dealers. Last week the auto developed a shifting problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. We took the car to VW where Several shocking events then occurred: 1. VW tranny's are sealed, not serviceable, and to check what was wrong with the shifting would cost $648. 2. This was a common problem on the 4cyl Jetta 3. Our $648 would go towards the cost of 1 of 2 outcomes: (1) New Valve Body in the Tranny $1800 or (2) Re manufactured by VW tranny for $4400-The car is worth 6-7000 bucks putting us in an interesting dilemma. [Side note, the car burns ~1 quart of oil per 1,200 miles which the dealer wouldn't fix under warranty

Don't Buy VW Jetta
By khalo on 05/20/08 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought Jetta 02, August 2007. I spent lot money in repair, in 9 months cost me lot. Lot of electric problems, and interior falling apart. In 9 months the car been in the shop more than 6 times, never fixed. Don't buy it. Thanks

Drivers wanted b/c the cars rarely run
By mcdc on 05/11/08 19:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

While I love the way VWs drive, mine has been in the shop at least 3 times a year outside of normal servicing. Last year I had to invest $7000 to keep it running, and I have under 75,000 miles on the car. New expensive problems crop up ever 6 months or so. If you love to sink $ into depreciating investments and spend time at the shop, then this car is for you!

6.5 years, 85,600 miles
By vw2audi on 03/21/08 19:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just traded in my VW and wanted to share a little from my use. Overall the engine and mechanics worked fine, except for the loud rattle and the oil leakage. All the issues I faced were on the interior; broken hinge on glove box, arm rest broke twice, interior film peeled in several areas, stereo and speakers cut in and out occasionally and the cloth as many stated is absolutely horrible. Good gas mileage and nice to drive.

Great car!
By Bharat P on 09/13/07 23:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first day I took it out, the window fell in, but that was the only problem. I love this car, it has nice torque and it looks great. I especially love the turbo. The cupholders don't really interfere unless you change CDs frequently.

Great Car!
By Nankov on 01/03/07 16:18 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 2.0L Jetta that currently has 98,000 km. on it. I've had no major problems with it. The car is solid and it handles great. The base engine is actually pretty good, plus it's good on gas! I love driving this car. It has nice looks too! You gotta love VWs.

Problems After Warranty Expired!
By JaimeJ on 09/10/06 13:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first four years that I owned my 2002 VW Jetta I didn't have any major mechanical problems. I haven't been super happy with the car in general. I drive a lot for work, and it's annoying that the car is loud on the highway. The main issue is that my warranty JUST ran out about two weeks ago and all of a sudden the driver seat adjustments stopped working and my power steering went out last night. I was driving downtown San Francisco and I heard "pop" and then all of a sudden it was like I was driving a dumptruck. I am sure that VW is going to kill me with the charges for this repair. I had planned on keeping this car until it stopped working, but now I may buy something else and never return to VW.