Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

It's been alright
By monkey801

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car 2 years ago because I've always loved Jettas. Fell in love with it right away, it's definitely quicker than most would assume. Bought it with 118,000 miles. Since then I've had to replace the fuel pump, ignition coils (recall), and the hoses. These cars are expensive to fix! Aside from that it's still running strong at 136,000 miles.

The turbo makes it very fun to drive, it handles better than other cars in its price range, I think it looks great, the 1.8t is cheap and easy to upgrade, lots of trunk space, traction control.

Better quality materials in the interior, BETTER CUP HOLDERS (I've lost an entire milkshake and two sodas on the floor), fix the lame latch on the glovebox.

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!
By fsparks1985

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my 02 Jetta for almost a year now, and its given me nothing but trouble. I went from driving a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer to the Jetta to try and save on gas, BIG mistake. This Jetta has been back to the deal for repairs at least 8 times in last than a year. All before the car turned 100K the Clutch went out, fuel relays, oil seals, timing belt, to just to name a few issues. Not worth the time or money to buy one of these POS. Do some research and read many reviews about these cars. They are great on gas, but you will spend more money in the long run trying to keep the car on the road!!! Cheaply made and poor craftsmanship!!

Good gas mileage!!!!!! Fun to drive

fast, fun, and reliable
By mike

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 1.8t and haven't had any problems since, before this car i had a 2.0, once again, no major problems, just the glove box and cupholders breaking like usual lol, but who can complain, the 2002 jetta is powerful stock but in order to feel its real power you need to get an intake and have it chipped to run on 93, brought my power up quite a bit.

engine, i love the handling, and has a nice stock sound system

glove box, cup holders

Nice Car
By Denis

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Everybody! if you guys buy 2.0L you gonna have problems, if you buy 1.8T you wont!!! i had this car over 2 years and i only changed sparkplug coils and thats it!!!!! 1.8T good car with AUDI engine!!!!

my new rims, powerful, no speed limiter!!! goes up to 160 mph, has an Audi engine

bling, but your bnk acct it will clean!
By don't do it

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was fun to drive until the relationship degenerated to the point I cringed ever time I had to start it, fearing something else would break.If I weren't able to complete most repairs myself, I'd probably have spent 5-8k in repairs.All the usual problems—bad ignition coils, 3 radios, window regulators,broken keyfob, multiple wheel bearings (as in 7 or 8 of them), various failed switches, broken glovebox door, broken center console latch (x5) & antenna. In addition, I had 3 airbag system component failures (which I couldn’t fix myself and cost $$$) and a wheel vibration issue that nobody could resolve. I gave up at 79k because I knew the plastic waterpump impeller was on borrowed time

The fact vwvortex has step by step repair instructions.This saved me thousands--literally. I'm so grateful people take the time to document repair procedures. The blue illuminated dash is a piece of art. The sheet metal body panels are very solid. Good paint job Upmarket look inside and out

Where do I start? Um, reliability? Ever heard of it VW? No wonder VW doesn't have customer loyalty. To add insult to injury, VW dealership repair costs are in the stratosphere--even compared to most other dealers. You would think they would cut you a little slack knowing you will be back.