2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
It's been alright
By monkey801 on 05/29/13 23:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car 2 years ago because I've always loved Jettas. Fell in love with it right away, it's definitely quicker than most would assume. Bought it with 118,000 miles. Since then I've had to replace the fuel pump, ignition coils (recall), and the hoses. These cars are expensive to fix! Aside from that it's still running strong at 136,000 miles.

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!
By fsparks1985 on 03/31/11 08:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my 02 Jetta for almost a year now, and its given me nothing but trouble. I went from driving a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer to the Jetta to try and save on gas, BIG mistake. This Jetta has been back to the deal for repairs at least 8 times in last than a year. All before the car turned 100K the Clutch went out, fuel relays, oil seals, timing belt, to just to name a few issues. Not worth the time or money to buy one of these POS. Do some research and read many reviews about these cars. They are great on gas, but you will spend more money in the long run trying to keep the car on the road!!! Cheaply made and poor craftsmanship!!

fast, fun, and reliable
By mike on 10/10/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 1.8t and haven't had any problems since, before this car i had a 2.0, once again, no major problems, just the glove box and cupholders breaking like usual lol, but who can complain, the 2002 jetta is powerful stock but in order to feel its real power you need to get an intake and have it chipped to run on 93, brought my power up quite a bit.

Nice Car
By Denis on 10/06/09 14:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Everybody! if you guys buy 2.0L you gonna have problems, if you buy 1.8T you wont!!! i had this car over 2 years and i only changed sparkplug coils and thats it!!!!! 1.8T good car with AUDI engine!!!!

bling, but your bnk acct it will clean!
By don't do it on 09/16/09 19:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was fun to drive until the relationship degenerated to the point I cringed ever time I had to start it, fearing something else would break.If I weren't able to complete most repairs myself, I'd probably have spent 5-8k in repairs.All the usual problems—bad ignition coils, 3 radios, window regulators,broken keyfob, multiple wheel bearings (as in 7 or 8 of them), various failed switches, broken glovebox door, broken center console latch (x5) & antenna. In addition, I had 3 airbag system component failures (which I couldn’t fix myself and cost $$$) and a wheel vibration issue that nobody could resolve. I gave up at 79k because I knew the plastic waterpump impeller was on borrowed time

not so fun to push
By NOLONGERAFAN on 09/09/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was excited to purchase my third VW. I bought it with 31k on it.. By 70k I was stranded in Boston with a blown engine. VW refused to fix it because it was 5k or so over the powertrain warranty. Sludge problems on them are common yet they have no desire to correct any issue with it. Finally they agreed to give me 1k towards fixing it (which as you know if you own a VW dealeship garage prices are insane .. I was quoted a 6k figure to fix the engine ) in addition to the engine brake lights cont to come on and off, the check engine regardless of anything refuses to go away, and electrical system is poor. Its sad to see that a car that had a solid reputation has decreased in quality so much.

VW WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE
By fred on 09/06/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I beg anyone reading this to please DO NOT ever buy a VW. This car has caused me so much stress. I will go as far as to say it has ruined my life. Buy this car if you want to cough up about $300- $600 every 3 months for repairs. NOTHING is cheap to fix. I have had this car for 5 years & have spent well over $5000 in repairs. You name it, I've replaced it. Its in the shop AGAIN. I am done with this car. I don't care if I lose money I am going to buy a Toyota or Honda this week. I never thought a car could be such a nightmare. VW customer care was a joke so don't even bother trying to contact them about any problems you may have. They may be cute & fun but they are not reliable at all.

Haven't had any major issues
By Ryan on 09/03/09 20:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been great to me for 7 years. It's fun to drive, get's great gas mileage and I haven't had any major issues. The ignition coil recall several years back was a a bit of a pain (all Jettas and Audi A4s), but they fixed it free and quick. I did have to replace hoses a couple years ago and have had my share of flat tires due to city driving and performance tires, but no real complaints.

Worst car I ever owned
By upchuda on 09/01/09 21:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you value you wallet, don't purchase this car! I bought this "certified pre-owned car from Osborne Automotive on Colfax. Every piece of the car has had to be replaced including the coolant tank, transmission, gas tank etc. I am so upside in what I owe compared to the $7,437.23 that I have put in it in the last 3 years that I will be paying for the car long after it's dead.

sell @ 90000 miles
By john on 08/27/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our Jetta was great until it reached 90,000 miles. The first thing that happened was the check engine light came on. After unsuccessful 3 tries by VW to correct the problem (average $300 repair each time) the light remained on. At 92,000 the generator went out (cost $850). You would have thought it was made of gold or something. That depleted my savings of which I was going to replace the timing belt/water pump (recommended @ 100k) @ $900 and the front stablizer mounts @$250, but instead I sold it. It was a great vehicle until 90k when it began to eat us out of house and home.