2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
It's all good
By sandoz1938 on 03/28/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I bought it with 166000km and now have 300000km. In the 134000km/5 years of owning it I've only had to replace the breaks, alternator (I blew the alternator by not replacing the battery when I should have), and the rear wheel bearing. The car now needs a front wheel bearing and muffler but that's not all bad for 166000km of driving. I tow large loads all the time and generally don't take care of the care of the car like I should but it still takes care of me, kow. I do change the oil every 6000km with synthetic (5w40?) and replace the oil filter with every change. I also run premium fuel.

Very great vehicle
By ev_rickus on 03/06/14 21:46 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been very good to me through everything that I have put it through. Snow, heavy rain, whatever it has been, the FWD has been wonderful; I have never once gotten stuck in snow and have driven it in the mountains for 3 years now. Esthetically pleasing, and fun to drive. We have had to replace the water pump (5-6 years ago), and the front drivers door sensor, but otherwise no major repairs. The trans is having trouble, but what can you expect at 170k miles and after 13 years. The cloth on the headliner is falling off, and center console broke off, and the glove box door broke; ultimately, a great car that my family has had it, and I would consider getting another VW!

Best Car Ever
By God blessing jetta on 01/09/10 20:25 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I just got my Jetta I love it. Very Clean car for 95000 miles on it . Its not giving me any problems since i got it . I read most of the reviews I believe if you take care of your car and this goes for all car and trucks if you take care of it , it will last you a very long time like for example i had a 1997 eclipse and It drove me everywhere and gave me no problems bc i took care of it but i sold it bc im 6ft 4in and need a bigger vehicle and it had 240,000miles and i just got my jetta and ima do the same thing is take care of it. its fast it runs good and its a 2.0litter well thats all for now

ok car
By ok car on 07/24/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think everyone has the same problems with these cars. Drove two hours to pick the car up at a dealership. Drove home about a 1hour after I drove it the water pump went out, Took it back they replace it for free. But I should of listen to my girlfriend, she told me not to keep it after that. Wish I would listen .

NEVER AGAIN
By NEVER AGAIN on 12/19/08 09:04 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about 2 and a half years ago. Nothing but problems, after 3 months my water pump blew. I should have got rid of it then. My radio nobs have fallen off, my arm rest broke, the seat adjuster broke in half, the value drops about 75% after you drive it off the lot and its so uncomfortable . Last week I lost the only key the dealership gave me when I purchased the car. Most dealerships can cut you a new key off of the vin right then and there. Not Volkswagen in order to get a new key you have to drive to Layton (30 miles from my home) show them proof you own it then they will order you key and then you have to tow your car to the dealership. price of key 200.00! Ridiculous.

Don't waste your money or time
By Stella on 09/26/08 06:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new and within one month; there has been nothing but mechanical/electrical problems. At least every other month something else was and still is breaking and needs repair. The trade- in value is horrible; however after this mornings episode; I made up my mind to finally get rid of this piece of junk. The latest break was found when I went to get gas. The tank release button on the door broke and the gas door can't be opened. After looking throughout the car and trunk for an 'emergency release button'; none could be found. I drove the car to a local station; warranty expired; so this cost will be added to the long list of headaches that came along with this car.

Unreliable
By jdiggity666 on 09/10/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car gets great gas mileage and in my case the mechanical aspects are good. However, i have had numerous problems with my jetta. Both front door sensors broke, my arm rest broke, the glove box door fell off. Both front turning indicator light covers broke. Small but extremely frustrating problems.

Very Disappointed
By Disappointed on 05/30/07 13:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my VW Jetta new in 2001. It's beautiful and fun to drive, but NOT RELIABLE! I have been in the shop many, many times in the almost 6 years I have had it. Electrical problems, power window problems, console and seat breaking easily. The repairs weren't extremely costly, but MANY! It's too bad such a nice and attractive car has been such a pain when it comes to repairs. I am going to trade it in for something else. I am tired of seeing my VW repair guy.

Great Drive but Not Very Reliable
By papertiger on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Plus - nice drive, solid feel & performance; Minus - contaminated fuel line; dead battery; electronic related failure (3 times)

JETTAS-R-COOL
By MONICA on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta has taken me all over Europe and all over the the southern US. I love it! It has been worth every penny. I get 28 miles to the gallon with a 4 cyl. auto.! I got the base model, but I wish I had gotten the fully loaded model because mine does not have lumbar support. The service I get every time I take my Jetta in to get the oil changed and inspected is outstanding--which is why I will buy another Volkswagen when the time comes. I tell everyone to get a Volkswagen because I love mine so much.