Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Up's and DOWNS!! :(
By Lura

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do your research before buying! It's a good car in many ways!,, But everytime I think all is well, something else goes wrong with it!! Now, it won't shift into 'overdrive'!! This is my work car, can't keep having it in the shop! Going broke fixing it. Any ideas out there on the 'overdrive' issue??? Thx!

I love my little Jetta
By ev_rickus

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With all the negative reviews most people have about this year/model, I have been fortunate to not have the same problems. Dad bought this car in '05, and I have been driving it since '11. Bought car around 60k miles - dad had about $3000 of repairs put into it at time of purchase. Then replaced the water pump shortly after I started driving in 2008. Had to replace inner/outer CV axles after hitting a nasty pothole back in 2012 (cost $500, OUCH!)

Car just passed 176k miles. Trans is having problems (expected, its all OEM far as I know), no electric issues (surprise there), the center console latch and glove box door broke, cloth liner falling down. Good car, plan to have for a while more

This car does cost an arm and a leg to repair if you are unable to do it yourself. After all the miles my family put on it (~60k-148k with my dad, 148k-176k with me) I still have to replace the shocks/struts, tie rods and bushings are worn, master control for the windows broke (driver/passenger side front switches, no the motors), and I potentially have some hoses to replace to address a coolant leak. Good car if you get the manual trans (I feel like this is where most of the electrical issues spawn), but, again, if you can't do the repairs yourself, it will cost you an arm and a leg to fix and you will be unhappy. However, I love this car.

It's all good
By sandoz1938

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I bought it with 166000km and now have 300000km. In the 134000km/5 years of owning it I've only had to replace the breaks, alternator (I blew the alternator by not replacing the battery when I should have), and the rear wheel bearing. The car now needs a front wheel bearing and muffler but that's not all bad for 166000km of driving. I tow large loads all the time and generally don't take care of the care of the car like I should but it still takes care of me, kow. I do change the oil every 6000km with synthetic (5w40?) and replace the oil filter with every change. I also run premium fuel.

cruise control, heated seats, auto up/down on both passenger and drivers door windows.

could have had a little more power... wait... they also made vr6 and 1.8LT if you need more power so.... there are no real improvements. The car is perfect.

Very great vehicle
By ev_rickus

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been very good to me through everything that I have put it through. Snow, heavy rain, whatever it has been, the FWD has been wonderful; I have never once gotten stuck in snow and have driven it in the mountains for 3 years now.

Esthetically pleasing, and fun to drive. We have had to replace the water pump (5-6 years ago), and the front drivers door sensor, but otherwise no major repairs. The trans is having trouble, but what can you expect at 170k miles and after 13 years.

The cloth on the headliner is falling off, and center console broke off, and the glove box door broke; ultimately, a great car that my family has had it, and I would consider getting another VW!

Best Car Ever
By God blessing jetta

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I just got my Jetta I love it. Very Clean car for 95000 miles on it . Its not giving me any problems since i got it . I read most of the reviews I believe if you take care of your car and this goes for all car and trucks if you take care of it , it will last you a very long time like for example i had a 1997 eclipse and It drove me everywhere and gave me no problems bc i took care of it but i sold it bc im 6ft 4in and need a bigger vehicle and it had 240,000miles and i just got my jetta and ima do the same thing is take care of it. its fast it runs good and its a 2.0litter well thats all for now

Sunroof rides very smooth 5 speed paint like brand new very taking care of looks new ohh and i had so many stereo systems in my life but this jetta has like the best clean system every you could hear the words and its sounds like i got 2 10'in subs with a 1000watt amp

...