Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I love my little Jetta
By ev_rickus

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With all the negative reviews most people have about this year/model, I have been fortunate to not have the same problems. Dad bought this car in '05, and I have been driving it since '11. Bought car around 60k miles - dad had about $3000 of repairs put into it at time of purchase. Then replaced the water pump shortly after I started driving in 2008. Had to replace inner/outer CV axles after hitting a nasty pothole back in 2012 (cost $500, OUCH!) Car just passed 176k miles. Trans is having problems (expected, its all OEM far as I know), no electric issues (surprise there), the center console latch and glove box door broke, cloth liner falling down. Good car, plan to have for a while more

Suggested Improvements

This car does cost an arm and a leg to repair if you are unable to do it yourself. After all the miles my family put on it (~60k-148k with my dad, 148k-176k with me) I still have to replace the shocks/struts, tie rods and bushings are worn, master control for the windows broke (driver/passenger side front switches, no the motors), and I potentially have some hoses to replace to address a coolant leak. Good car if you get the manual trans (I feel like this is where most of the electrical issues spawn), but, again, if you can't do the repairs yourself, it will cost you an arm and a leg to fix and you will be unhappy. However, I love this car.

It's all good
By sandoz1938

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I bought it with 166000km and now have 300000km. In the 134000km/5 years of owning it I've only had to replace the breaks, alternator (I blew the alternator by not replacing the battery when I should have), and the rear wheel bearing. The car now needs a front wheel bearing and muffler but that's not all bad for 166000km of driving. I tow large loads all the time and generally don't take care of the care of the car like I should but it still takes care of me, kow. I do change the oil every 6000km with synthetic (5w40?) and replace the oil filter with every change. I also run premium fuel.

Favorite Features

cruise control, heated seats, auto up/down on both passenger and drivers door windows.

Suggested Improvements

could have had a little more power... wait... they also made vr6 and 1.8LT if you need more power so.... there are no real improvements. The car is perfect.

Very great vehicle
By ev_rickus

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been very good to me through everything that I have put it through. Snow, heavy rain, whatever it has been, the FWD has been wonderful; I have never once gotten stuck in snow and have driven it in the mountains for 3 years now. Esthetically pleasing, and fun to drive. We have had to replace the water pump (5-6 years ago), and the front drivers door sensor, but otherwise no major repairs. The trans is having trouble, but what can you expect at 170k miles and after 13 years. The cloth on the headliner is falling off, and center console broke off, and the glove box door broke; ultimately, a great car that my family has had it, and I would consider getting another VW!

WORST IDEA EVER
By angelacoleman

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have spent more in repairs than the car itself cost. Every repair has to be made at the dealer since an average repair shop hasn't a clue or doesn't have the special tools required to work on it. Oil pump at the VW dealer, $1000. When all hell broke loose as we drove on the highway, all new valves and fixed up heads, $4000. Not to mention that they failed to inform their clients in a timely manner of recalls so the coils had already caused further damage and the sun roof leak had already created a foul smell in the car that also cost $500 to be cleaned and removed properly. Just say NO! Also not very car seat friendly.

Favorite Features

Heated seats were very toasty, Comes with decent sound system although it is hard to access because of the cup holder,

Suggested Improvements

Avoid this year is the best suggestion available. Apparently the couple years surrounding this one were not highlights for VW either.

It's been alright
By monkey801

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car 2 years ago because I've always loved Jettas. Fell in love with it right away, it's definitely quicker than most would assume. Bought it with 118,000 miles. Since then I've had to replace the fuel pump, ignition coils (recall), and the hoses. These cars are expensive to fix! Aside from that it's still running strong at 136,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The turbo makes it very fun to drive, it handles better than other cars in its price range, I think it looks great, the 1.8t is cheap and easy to upgrade, lots of trunk space, traction control.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality materials in the interior, BETTER CUP HOLDERS (I've lost an entire milkshake and two sodas on the floor), fix the lame latch on the glovebox.