2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
It's all good
By sandoz1938 on 03/28/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I bought it with 166000km and now have 300000km. In the 134000km/5 years of owning it I've only had to replace the breaks, alternator (I blew the alternator by not replacing the battery when I should have), and the rear wheel bearing. The car now needs a front wheel bearing and muffler but that's not all bad for 166000km of driving. I tow large loads all the time and generally don't take care of the care of the car like I should but it still takes care of me, kow. I do change the oil every 6000km with synthetic (5w40?) and replace the oil filter with every change. I also run premium fuel.

Very great vehicle
By ev_rickus on 03/06/14 21:46 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been very good to me through everything that I have put it through. Snow, heavy rain, whatever it has been, the FWD has been wonderful; I have never once gotten stuck in snow and have driven it in the mountains for 3 years now. Esthetically pleasing, and fun to drive. We have had to replace the water pump (5-6 years ago), and the front drivers door sensor, but otherwise no major repairs. The trans is having trouble, but what can you expect at 170k miles and after 13 years. The cloth on the headliner is falling off, and center console broke off, and the glove box door broke; ultimately, a great car that my family has had it, and I would consider getting another VW!

WORST IDEA EVER
By angelacoleman on 06/24/13 21:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have spent more in repairs than the car itself cost. Every repair has to be made at the dealer since an average repair shop hasn't a clue or doesn't have the special tools required to work on it. Oil pump at the VW dealer, $1000. When all hell broke loose as we drove on the highway, all new valves and fixed up heads, $4000. Not to mention that they failed to inform their clients in a timely manner of recalls so the coils had already caused further damage and the sun roof leak had already created a foul smell in the car that also cost $500 to be cleaned and removed properly. Just say NO! Also not very car seat friendly.

It's been alright
By monkey801 on 05/29/13 23:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car 2 years ago because I've always loved Jettas. Fell in love with it right away, it's definitely quicker than most would assume. Bought it with 118,000 miles. Since then I've had to replace the fuel pump, ignition coils (recall), and the hoses. These cars are expensive to fix! Aside from that it's still running strong at 136,000 miles.

Dont Do It!
By mikejones5 on 05/12/13 08:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Worst purchase I have bought! 135K and here is the work I have done: O2 sensor Catalytic Converter Water Pump Timing Belt All bulbs Bumper Clips (3 Times) Hub caps (on going)

If you're reading this I already feel sorry for you.
By katwoj on 04/08/13 18:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a piece of crap. I have had two VW Jettas that were both maintained well by previous owner. I bought my current one with 87,000 miles on it and it currently has 103,000. In that period of time I have literally purchased the car over again in repairs and went into debt. The only thing I haven't repaired thus far is the transmission, and I have reason to believe that is on its way out. The water pump was replaced before I bought it and yet it went out again at 100,000. Destroyed my engine ($3,000). Also had to get all new axles, tie rods, wheel bearings. Drives jerky, erratic acceleration. Not to mention it smells like a box of nauseating melted crayons. NIGHTMARE. DO NOT BUY.

PLEASE READ THESE REVIEWS! THEY ARE TRUE!!
By trust_issues02 on 01/26/13 17:37 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 2002 VW Jetta in 2004 used 40,000 miles. From day one nothing but problems. Engines coils, water pump ( like 3 times), oil pan, hoses, transmission. The list can go on and on.. I put myself in debt trying to fix this car. So EXPENSIVE to fix. I felt the trans was slipping shortly after my purchase. I kept taking it to the dealer before my warranty went out they couldn't feel what I felt while driving.. A year later after the warranty went out so did the transmission. I paid $2,600 to fix it and it still wasn't fixed the correct way!!!! Every time the car went to the shop my bill averaged $500-800. DON'T BUY A VW PLEASE. You'll regret it!!! Also no mechanic knows how to fix them!

dont buy!
By germancarlife on 01/16/13 18:59 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2011 with 56,000 miles on it and its been nothing but trouble. first the engine temp sensor went out ($400), next was the entire transmission at 65k miles ($4000) and then never ending issues with the electronics and engine internals. I change my oil every 3500 miles and drive 13 miles a day on the highway very gently so idk why this car is so bad. My wife has an 02 325i with 213k miles on it and its never given 1/15 of the problems the jetta vr6 has and she and I both drive that car very abusively to be honest, just regular oil changes, brakes and tires.

WOULD NOT WISH THIS CAR ON MY WORST ENEMY!
By theandyn on 03/14/12 11:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car 5 years ago after I graduated high school to have a more reliable car for driving back and forth to college. I have literally had this car in the shop for something new needing to be fixed every single month. I had a 96 mustang before this and it had about 50,000 more miles on it and I never ONCE had it in the shop for anything but oil changes. Not to mention, everything is TWICE as expensive to fix because its a foreign car This car has been my worst nightmare and I just got done paying on it. Now the transmission is about to go and now I am forced to buy another car instead of having the luxury of no car payment. If you want something to last, please do NOT buy this car!

Never Buy a VW again
By crewdawg63 on 10/25/11 07:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this 5 years ago hoping to get 30 mpg for a long commute to a new job. Had a 1986 Jetta once upon a time that was GREAT, so figured I’d get another one – BIG mistake. Good: Heated seats are warm and cozy in the New England wintertime while waiting for the heater to warm up. It’s small and fits in tiny parking garages well. The 2 rear seat reading lights are awesome for the kiddos – they control their own light and it does not create a distracting glare for me. Lots of airbags. Good city car – don’t care if someone scratches nor dings it anymore. It’s paid for. BAD: Build quality is horrible. Replaced 3 water pumps in the past 3 years-they seem to last just beyond the 12 month warranty, of course. Driving back from a long road trip up the east coast, all 4 brake rotors warped and I just got thru having all 4 brakes replaced (ouch!). The car wash ripped the radio antennae off the top. Dealer wants $1000 to remove/replace the headliner in order to fix. The heater on the driver’s side blows air on my shins, so my toes continue to stay frozen no matter how hot the rest of the inside is. The exhaust just cracked behind the manifold, another $700 bill which had to be fixed in order to pass inspection. Now the automatic transmission and clutch is starting to act up, shifting hard and not dropping in to gear without banging on the shift lever. The auto door locks sometimes don’t lock or unlock the back doors. The key fob doesn’t lock/unlock unless I’m within 3 ft of the car, even after repeated battery replacements. Rust is starting to show on the body, despite my attention to keeping the car clean. I’m going to give this car to my 16 year old son as his project car. If he can keep it running, he has wheels. No matter how I drive and keep the car tuned up, the best I can get out of it is 25 mpg. I’m going to go buy Toyota or Dodge truck. Might as well have a quality built hauler that people will get out of the way of – I’m tired of people pulling out in front of me when they see this POS coming.