Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 354 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Jetta sport wagon 1.8T 17" rims
By Rob O'Neil

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Up's and DOWNS!! :(
By Lura

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Do your research before buying! It's a good car in many ways!,, But everytime I think all is well, something else goes wrong with it!! Now, it won't shift into 'overdrive'!! This is my work car, can't keep having it in the shop! Going broke fixing it. Any ideas out there on the 'overdrive' issue??? Thx!

2002 VW Jetta GLX VR6
By jnp16

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

The reviews on maintenance costs are spot on. In six years, I've reached double digits in calling a tow truck to come pick me up. x5 alternators, x4 window regulators (3 driver/1 passenger), cat converter, multiple hoses/wires seemed to have disintegrated or melted without known reasons, interior wood paneling is falling off (even double bubble wont keep them on and I used that fixing air planes). Also my black paint job began to fade shortly after the factory 10 year warranty. Now my black car mirrors a dalmatian, which I have begun to explain as it is a "custom fade" paint job. 700 words isn't enough to explain how many problems I've had since 2009.

It is somewhat quick. Additionally, the MPG is pretty good too. 65-70 freeway usually averaged around 34-36. A solid 50 could hold around 39. Other than the MPG, I can't really think of too much more that I enjoyed about this car. Blue dash lights?

Save your money and avoid this car at all costs. If you really want something that will get you from A to B, then this is not for you. The extended warranty is about as reliable as the car. If you do end up purchasing this vehicle, you will be on a first name basis with at least two tow truck drivers. You may as well hold on to their business cards or put them on speed dial. Stay way from the 2002 models.

I love my little Jetta
By ev_rickus

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With all the negative reviews most people have about this year/model, I have been fortunate to not have the same problems. Dad bought this car in '05, and I have been driving it since '11. Bought car around 60k miles - dad had about $3000 of repairs put into it at time of purchase. Then replaced the water pump shortly after I started driving in 2008. Had to replace inner/outer CV axles after hitting a nasty pothole back in 2012 (cost $500, OUCH!)

Car just passed 176k miles. Trans is having problems (expected, its all OEM far as I know), no electric issues (surprise there), the center console latch and glove box door broke, cloth liner falling down. Good car, plan to have for a while more

This car does cost an arm and a leg to repair if you are unable to do it yourself. After all the miles my family put on it (~60k-148k with my dad, 148k-176k with me) I still have to replace the shocks/struts, tie rods and bushings are worn, master control for the windows broke (driver/passenger side front switches, no the motors), and I potentially have some hoses to replace to address a coolant leak. Good car if you get the manual trans (I feel like this is where most of the electrical issues spawn), but, again, if you can't do the repairs yourself, it will cost you an arm and a leg to fix and you will be unhappy. However, I love this car.

It's all good
By sandoz1938

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I bought it with 166000km and now have 300000km. In the 134000km/5 years of owning it I've only had to replace the breaks, alternator (I blew the alternator by not replacing the battery when I should have), and the rear wheel bearing. The car now needs a front wheel bearing and muffler but that's not all bad for 166000km of driving. I tow large loads all the time and generally don't take care of the care of the car like I should but it still takes care of me, kow. I do change the oil every 6000km with synthetic (5w40?) and replace the oil filter with every change. I also run premium fuel.

cruise control, heated seats, auto up/down on both passenger and drivers door windows.

could have had a little more power... wait... they also made vr6 and 1.8LT if you need more power so.... there are no real improvements. The car is perfect.