Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

under rated TDI
By Huggybear

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I consistently get 48-50 mph highway milage at a steady 70mph. It should be written about more as a superb vehicle, worth every penny!

Volkswagen Stinks!!! Fooled me once.....
By Lacy

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had brake problems for 3 years which Brakeway finally diagnosed and fixed. Then my tranny went out and it took over a month and $5k to fix. Now I got spots on my hood, roof, and trunk which was determined to be manuf. defect, but they won't deal with it because my warranty is out. The console is flimsy trash and my d. side door handle assembly came apart when I tried to close the door in the winter, but the latch assembly froze, on a German car! This is the first car I cannot work on myself. My fuel economy is around 30mph, though others are getting 40. I can truly say the dealer sold me a lemon that I still have to pay for. But, I'm not paying to paint

Fully loaded leather interior with sun/ moon roof. Is quicker than reviews gave it.

Better customer care. Less expensive parts. Better diagnostics. My maintenance light never ceases to illuminate. Fix the road noise.I will not refer anyone else to buy a VW.

Only car I'll buy
By dean

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In 3 years I've put 90,000 miles on it. I do not get below 500 miles per tank average 40 mpg city and as high as 58 hwy. There is a relief button inside filler neck of fuel tank to allow more fuel. I've gone 758 miles on one tank of fuel. Memphis TN to Madison Wi straight! Only problem with it has been glow plugs. Luckly I live in Ca so I'm not going to replace them. Other than that, expect to pay $900 every 80K for a timing belt. I'm getting ready to have 2nd one installed soon. I will buy a tdi again without a doubt.

I love diesels. I will not buy hybrid crap. I will gladly pay extra for fuel and then pass you up any hill.

the improvement has already been made, the cup holder! I have test driven the 09 and love it. I will have one some day.

Volkswagen of Alabama
By ALABAMAJETTA

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've been a Honda/Toyota man all my life, Came across a good deal on VW TDI GLS and I have not looked back, would love to own Tiguan TDI (maybe one day) Hope VW comes to ALABAMA! Thank you Germany. With many Honda accords and Toyota RAV4 behind me, give me a VW any day with a diesel and I'll enjoy the drive.

TDI, Clean. can hardly tell its diesel.

Seats to hard, Cup hold is a joke and is set above the Radio/AC. not good. Radio is not the greatest.

Who Needs a Hybrid?
By WFO163

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

While I was stationed in Spain I fell in love with turbo diesel cars. This was my first purchase upon coming back home! I average 35-49 mpg depending on the temperature and my driving style. The best economy is on the highway of course. The car handles excellently at all speeds and seems to really grab the road at approximately 80 mph. Mine came with really good Michelens wrapped around aluminum wheels and every interior feature you could imagine. Of course, it had the typical Euro accessory problems. One of the heated seats burned a hole in the fabric and a bracket in the power window failed. All of these issues were fixed under warranty. It must be dealer serviced to keep the warranty and you must use the right engine oil!

The TDI engine is amazing! It has no cold starting problems, no overheat even in the Mojave! It has lots of torque that allows me to cruise to Las Vegas at 80+ with the A/C on and still gets 45 mpg.

This motor has 90 hp, it could use at least 10-20 more for the best performance. Tinted windows would also be nice if you live in a hot climate. The scheduled maintenance is crazy expensive and must be done by the dealer to keep your warranty. Using the wrong oil can destroy the motor, be careful!