2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

GLS TDI Sedan (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
under rated TDI
By Huggybear on 09/05/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I consistently get 48-50 mph highway milage at a steady 70mph. It should be written about more as a superb vehicle, worth every penny!

Volkswagen Stinks!!! Fooled me once.....
By Lacy on 06/10/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had brake problems for 3 years which Brakeway finally diagnosed and fixed. Then my tranny went out and it took over a month and $5k to fix. Now I got spots on my hood, roof, and trunk which was determined to be manuf. defect, but they won't deal with it because my warranty is out. The console is flimsy trash and my d. side door handle assembly came apart when I tried to close the door in the winter, but the latch assembly froze, on a German car! This is the first car I cannot work on myself. My fuel economy is around 30mph, though others are getting 40. I can truly say the dealer sold me a lemon that I still have to pay for. But, I'm not paying to paint

Only car I'll buy
By dean on 09/10/08 22:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In 3 years I've put 90,000 miles on it. I do not get below 500 miles per tank average 40 mpg city and as high as 58 hwy. There is a relief button inside filler neck of fuel tank to allow more fuel. I've gone 758 miles on one tank of fuel. Memphis TN to Madison Wi straight! Only problem with it has been glow plugs. Luckly I live in Ca so I'm not going to replace them. Other than that, expect to pay $900 every 80K for a timing belt. I'm getting ready to have 2nd one installed soon. I will buy a tdi again without a doubt.

Volkswagen of Alabama
By ALABAMAJETTA on 07/04/08 05:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've been a Honda/Toyota man all my life, Came across a good deal on VW TDI GLS and I have not looked back, would love to own Tiguan TDI (maybe one day) Hope VW comes to ALABAMA! Thank you Germany. With many Honda accords and Toyota RAV4 behind me, give me a VW any day with a diesel and I'll enjoy the drive.

Who Needs a Hybrid?
By WFO163 on 02/05/07 22:58 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

While I was stationed in Spain I fell in love with turbo diesel cars. This was my first purchase upon coming back home! I average 35-49 mpg depending on the temperature and my driving style. The best economy is on the highway of course. The car handles excellently at all speeds and seems to really grab the road at approximately 80 mph. Mine came with really good Michelens wrapped around aluminum wheels and every interior feature you could imagine. Of course, it had the typical Euro accessory problems. One of the heated seats burned a hole in the fabric and a bracket in the power window failed. All of these issues were fixed under warranty. It must be dealer serviced to keep the warranty and you must use the right engine oil!

Love the TDI
By TDI MAN on 01/25/07 05:58 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have owned my TDI since 2002. I have had almost no problems. The 2002 TDI was the last year for this motor. In 2003 they added horsepower, but got worse gas mileage, which is the wrong move with today's gas prices. The 5-speed has tons of power and mid 50 mpg. This beats the these cheesy hybrid trash that has two systems to go potentially wrong, for a lame 30 - 40 mpg. Get a TDI, they're proven and reliable.

Great Gas Mileage, Poor Construction
By Pete on 07/13/06 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I picked up a used 2002 Jetta last fall. Since I drive a lot of miles a year, I wanted the good gas mileage of a diesel and none of the complexity of a hybrid. VW is the only game in town for a reasonably priced diesel car, and the Jetta was in my price range. The car delivers the good mileage that I expected. I average 42 mpg, and usually cruise around 80-85 mph. I have had no mechanical issues in the 20,000 miles I have driven it. My gripe with this car is the build quality, or lack thereof. The Monsoon stereo is junk. I have two blown speakers and the antenna died, therefore there is no AM reception. Also, there are more squeaks and shuffling sounds in this car than my '98 Pontiac Grand Prix had. Plus, the center console has pretty much fallen apart.

Worth Every Penny
By Paul Godfree on 06/19/06 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive a lot and wanted dependability. My previous '90 Jetta had 600,000 miles on it before it died. First I replaced the wiper blades, the originals sqeeked like crazy. Then I replaced the tires. They wore down so fast and didn't handle very well. With Michelin's it drives and corners like a racing car. The first failure on my new car was the electronic fuel mixer ($500) at 80,000, then a taillight at 120,000, then the brakes at 180,000. The shocks went at 240,000. Now the rear brakes will be replaced at 300,000. IE; this car is tremendously dependable. It still starts on the 1st or 2nd crank. Thee radio has always stunk (it broke in the first year) but I've go a rear CD player that replaced it

Can't go wrong with a TDI
By Chism on 05/20/06 06:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have been very impressed with this car. It gets incredible gas mileage and is a very solid build. It handles well, and all of the controls are easy to get to.

Love the farfegnuugen
By wildcat on 06/21/05 12:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Wasn't sure how I would like a small car like this coming from owning pickup trucks but I've been driving it for almost 3 years now and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Incredible with fuel economy(about 42MPG) with my 4 speed automatic and it is solidly built. Haven't had any problems except for a clip in the automatic windows that failed but they replaced them under warranty. Love my Jetta!