Used 2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

German Engineering My Butt
By bigwombat

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

The automatic transmission 01M of this car made between year 1999-2003 are known to be the most unreliable transmission ever made. Look for it online, there are so many reports of these transmission breaking down from 100k to 150k miles. Mine is even considered a good case, where it broke down right after 200k miles, but throughout my ownership of the car I dropped so much many to fix and maintain the transmission, that in the end, I don't think it is worth it. Pros: Gets decent MPG. Can reach high speed. The manual version seems reliable from reviews. Cons: Horrible auto transmission. Loud. Weak acceleration. Expensive to maintain.

Good and Bad
By g2driver44

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my 02 Jetta new from the dealer and put 263,000 miles on it. The Good: I fell in love with gas mileage..700 miles to a tank. This was my first import car and the handling was awesome. I traveled from Washington to N. California and never broke down. The most comfortable seat I have ever sat in... maybe because I spent all my time in this car, it was custom fit to me. The resale value of this car only took me 24 hours to sell. The Bad: The cost of maintenance on the TDI was enough to drive you mad. $500 every time they had to look at the car. I had some check engine lights come on after 30k, 60k and 90k. Burned through countless o2 sensors.

Car seats, gas mileage and resale value. Fun to drive around the Redwood forest and the mountains of the Pacific Northwest. I drove this little car very hard and he(Hans) never left me stranded. After 263k miles together...I will miss my little German car!

02 Sensors, Vacuum leak

Mr. Reliable
By gumbo2

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm going on 316K miles with this car and averaged over 53 mpg on my last tank of fuel. Yes, there are flaws in the interior design (cup holders in particular) and yes, it's difficult to perform maintenance on it sometimes but how can you find fault with a car that is so reliable? Oil changes every 10K, timing belt every 80K and everything else like brakes, tires, filters, etc., are done simply as req'd. I've had the clutch, water pump and other components each replaced once but this engine is a beast. Maintenance is certainly more expensive when required but fortunately, I have a local (non-dealer) repair shop that specializes on German cars and that helps keep the bill down.

Engine reliability Easy handling

Cup holders Turbo shield needs to be more easily removed

under rated TDI
By Huggybear

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I consistently get 48-50 mph highway milage at a steady 70mph. It should be written about more as a superb vehicle, worth every penny!

Horrible Reliability
By upchuda

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I bought this car used from Osborne Automotive in Lakewood, CO. This is the worst car I have ever owned. The parts are all plastic, and I have pretty much replaced every part of the engine, including the water pumps. Once the car reached 120,000 miles, the transmission went out and I was quoted between $4,600 - $6,100 to replace it with a refurbished transmission. The car has just been sitting in my garage and I bought a Toyota Camry. Selling it for parts.

Nice body. Fun to drive when works.

Use metal parts and improve the transmission! I have met 4 other Jetta owners whose transmission went out around 100,000 miles!