2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
German Engineering My Butt
By bigwombat on 07/16/14 00:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

The automatic transmission 01M of this car made between year 1999-2003 are known to be the most unreliable transmission ever made. Look for it online, there are so many reports of these transmission breaking down from 100k to 150k miles. Mine is even considered a good case, where it broke down right after 200k miles, but throughout my ownership of the car I dropped so much many to fix and maintain the transmission, that in the end, I don't think it is worth it. Pros: Gets decent MPG. Can reach high speed. The manual version seems reliable from reviews. Cons: Horrible auto transmission. Loud. Weak acceleration. Expensive to maintain.

Good and Bad
By g2driver44 on 10/18/11 06:21 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my 02 Jetta new from the dealer and put 263,000 miles on it. The Good: I fell in love with gas mileage..700 miles to a tank. This was my first import car and the handling was awesome. I traveled from Washington to N. California and never broke down. The most comfortable seat I have ever sat in... maybe because I spent all my time in this car, it was custom fit to me. The resale value of this car only took me 24 hours to sell. The Bad: The cost of maintenance on the TDI was enough to drive you mad. $500 every time they had to look at the car. I had some check engine lights come on after 30k, 60k and 90k. Burned through countless o2 sensors.

Mr. Reliable
By gumbo2 on 07/14/11 09:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm going on 316K miles with this car and averaged over 53 mpg on my last tank of fuel. Yes, there are flaws in the interior design (cup holders in particular) and yes, it's difficult to perform maintenance on it sometimes but how can you find fault with a car that is so reliable? Oil changes every 10K, timing belt every 80K and everything else like brakes, tires, filters, etc., are done simply as req'd. I've had the clutch, water pump and other components each replaced once but this engine is a beast. Maintenance is certainly more expensive when required but fortunately, I have a local (non-dealer) repair shop that specializes on German cars and that helps keep the bill down.

under rated TDI
By Huggybear on 09/05/10 11:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I consistently get 48-50 mph highway milage at a steady 70mph. It should be written about more as a superb vehicle, worth every penny!

Horrible Reliability
By upchuda on 07/28/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I bought this car used from Osborne Automotive in Lakewood, CO. This is the worst car I have ever owned. The parts are all plastic, and I have pretty much replaced every part of the engine, including the water pumps. Once the car reached 120,000 miles, the transmission went out and I was quoted between $4,600 - $6,100 to replace it with a refurbished transmission. The car has just been sitting in my garage and I bought a Toyota Camry. Selling it for parts.

love my TDI wagon
By fogwall on 04/13/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive this thing hard commuting in and out of SF. I get a consistent 37 mpg during my two week fill up period and that's hard driving up and over SF hills with some freeway mixed in. It's comfortable for me as the driver but the back seat is a bit limited in leg space behind me because I am 6'2" and the seat is all the way back leaving about 5 inches of leg space back there. No Mechanical problems ever, always run low sulfur. Even with the 90 HP it still pulls fully loaded w 4 people and gear over highway 80 Donner pass at 75-80 mph. I smile at the SUV's because I know I'm getting at least 2 or 3 X their mpg as I pass them over the mountain :)

Are you Kidding
By Gman on 08/21/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this from a Lady in Kansas over the internet and she drove it to me in Colorado, delivered in pretty much perfect shape. I have over a million miles on it now and I am pretty much shocked by the other owners reviews. It was built in Mexico and has had the usual faults like electric window problems and seat heaters but that was all covered in the warranty and replace with no hassle at the dealers. On the last days of my warranty I had them replace the Turbo as easy as if it was a light bulb. Since then I have done most the work on it myself. A lot cheaper than mechanics will do. Replaced the thermostat for 15$ in thirty minutes. $200 plus at most shops.

Volkswagen Stinks!!! Fooled me once.....
By Lacy on 06/10/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've had brake problems for 3 years which Brakeway finally diagnosed and fixed. Then my tranny went out and it took over a month and $5k to fix. Now I got spots on my hood, roof, and trunk which was determined to be manuf. defect, but they won't deal with it because my warranty is out. The console is flimsy trash and my d. side door handle assembly came apart when I tried to close the door in the winter, but the latch assembly froze, on a German car! This is the first car I cannot work on myself. My fuel economy is around 30mph, though others are getting 40. I can truly say the dealer sold me a lemon that I still have to pay for. But, I'm not paying to paint

Happy and Sad
By BuffaloScout on 05/24/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased this used vehicle for my 90 mile a day/6 day a week job. Right away noticed that at least twice a year something would go wrong requiring $500-1200 dollars to fix at the local dealership. Now with 156000 miles my little yellow light told me it required a new transmission. Bummer as I wanted to fully test the longevity of the diesel engine. It reminds me of an expensive girlfriend that you really love, but have to lose to keep your sanity/money. Hence the bipolar ratings I gave this car.

Don't even consider this year!
By Jessica on 01/20/09 13:05 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought a Jetta as my first car. Parents thought it was great because of the safety features and gas mileage, blah blah blah, and what teenage girl doesn't want a cute little Jetta? Since the very week after buying it, it's had nothing but problems. Computer glitches, leaks,AC wont work, malfunctions, and mysteries that the dealership seems incapable to fix. I love my car, but at the same time, I expected it to be a long term, reliable car. And it's proving to cost more than I ever anticipated. The engine has been great, it's just that every other possible thing that could go wrong, has and will. Don't even consider an '02 Jetta.