2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
3 years 35,000 mi
By Jessica on 06/02/08 22:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very fun car to drive - we bought prior to birth of 1st child and expected to have it for 10 yrs. Now expecting 2nd child we realize two car seats will not fit the very shallow back seat. I have not experienced many of the mechanical/interior issues as other posters.

Can't Wait Until my Lease is up!
By Katy on 01/17/06 16:17 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a lot of problems with my 2002 Volkswagen Jetta, including the fact that it burns 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles and the manufacturer says that's within specs. I had an issue where the cruise control was broken and the alarm would go off in the middle of the night. I would unlock the car so the alarm wouldn't go off again, but the car would lock itself and then proceed to alarm again. There was an instance where the passenger's side door wouldn't open from the inside. The radio broke and had to be replaced and evidently it wasn't installed correctly to begin with. Shall I go on? I HATE this car! The only cool thing about it is the purple dashboard lights.

Horrible Design, Poor craftmanship
By luga on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car two years ago, and sold it last Saturday. I wish I had saved myself the $9000 (!!!) it depreciated. This is a bad car, very cheaply made. Within the first two weeks, four plastic items simply fell from it. Add to this cheap quality the tiny back seat area, the lack of grip on pronounced curves, where you always have to end up correcting in too sudden a manner, and the completely dumb electronics (the boot closes itself automatically all the time, even with the car open; the e-key is horrible and unintuitive...),and a horrible operating manual, and you have a recipe to go mad.

2002 VW Jetta Wagon
By MrZero on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Tight shutlines and a build quality normally associated with costlier vehicles. Rich interior materials. The base model includes 4 wheel disc brakes,ABS, side curtain airbags, dual front airbags, and front side bolster airbags standard. Honda charges a premium for ABS. Attention-to-detail is immaculate both inside and out. ABS plastic pans cover the underside of the car, properly diffusing air, causing less buffeting and lower wind noise. As with other 4 cylinder cars, the 2.0 engine bay is neat and all fluids are clearly marked and within easy reach. I am thoroughly impressed with VW

Good bang for the buck...
By Chris Vader on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm really very impressed with the quality and amenities on this car. We bought the basic "GL" model, and are very satisfied with it; the only feature I miss is the electric windows. The handling is pretty nimble for a wagon of its size. As for the engine and tranny, we're still in the break-in period, so we've avoided flogging it too much. The car also swallows a huge amount of stuff with the rear seats folded, in part due to the high roofline. We're all smiles.

appreciate
By jayant on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

that this car is best and safest

Quirky at first, but great!
By Redhead on 03/11/02 16:31 PM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a first time Jetta owner. I bought the 4dr wagon, and my husband owns a GTI. We love our VW's. We had some minor electrical problems at first, but the dealer fixed them in a timely fashion. Great ride, safe, and lots of room!