2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Fun But Troublesome
By SethEaston on 04/07/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love with this car at first sight. It was fast, comfortable, fun, and the wagon offers generous space. The VR6 combined with the 5-speed provided lots of good times. Then came the problems. Little by little, this car started having electrical issues. O2 sensor, plug wires, ECU, random blinking lights, check engine light for no reason, and more. The "Comfort Module" also went out, causing the moonroof, door locks/alarm, horn, and interior lights to stop working. The final straw, yesterday I found out the timing chain had basically destroyed the engine. The service guy at the dealer told that my only option was to "get rid of it". Even he acknowledged that these cars are junk.

I've Been Pleased...So Far
By CCDangie on 08/04/06 09:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 3-year old '02 Jetta Wagon with only 5,100 miles on it and in ten months I have put 20,000 miles on it and have had no problems. The car is very quick and agile (VR6) and fairly comfortable for my 6'3" frame. I've had no issues with the car other than the wipers sit lower on the windshield than the defrost vents. This causes them to freeze up in the winter. Also, the transmission is extremely choppy and never seems to know what gear it wants. Plus, the gearing is too short so my gas mileage is only around 23, which is not so good. All in all, it's a blast to drive and I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

The Black Flash
By Mate on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Very nippy, handles well - though should corner better with its wide rims & low-profile tires - a great fun wagon

So far, so good!
By California girl on 09/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have only had this car for a few months now, but so far I love it! Maybe VW has improved on this car since 2000? Either way, it drives smoothly, is very comfortable (even on long trips), has great power, is a good size for the amount of interior space you get (it's only 4 inches longer than the sedan), and is a nice looking car - inside and out. Relatively good gas mileage on the freeway (~32 mpg), only so/so on streets (~24 mpg - typical for a V6 engine though). The manual trans. V6 wagon is the only Jetta manufactured in Germany also, so that's a plus! I definitely recommend it.