2002 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
BMW here I come
By BMW here I come!!! on 09/30/09 11:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and fell in love with it, until I realized that I was going to be at the dealer every 4 or 5 months because something failed or broke.

Money Pit
By vwdesign22 on 06/11/07 13:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car, or at least I did the day I bought it. I wish I had done a little more research on this make and model before I purchased. I am a young designer just out of school and this car has caused me to go into debt. It was uniformed decision and I have spent well over $7,000 in rapairs on this car. I thought it was a practical and smart choice, yet I have been proven wrong. VW did reimburse me for a mass air flow sensor that was replaced 3 times in a 3 month period. I have had less luck in trying to get a proper diagnosis and repair for my car at a dealership. It seems that they just cant figure out what the problem is, and I just cant seem to aford paying for parts I don't need

More Safe, More Fun, More Reliable! :)
By Megan on 10/10/05 13:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

There is a reason why the Jetta is the #1-selling European car in the US. I first owned a 2000 Jetta (same as my 2002); this car saved my life and was fun and reliable every step of the way. I have owned my 2002 GLS VR6 sedan since new, and I love my baby to pieces. The standard safety features - ABS, 8 airbags, safety cell construction - cannot be beat. The time- tested VR6 engine is an absolute blast to drive. I can tell you in 100% honesty that I have had ZERO mechanical, electrical, or other reliability issues with this car - NONE. I am fully confident in Jettas and I never plan on buying anything but VWs. If you pressed me for one complaint, Jettas don't come with power seats, which is not a big deal to me.

Save your $
By Harry36 on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car has cost me more money then anyother car that I have owned or what my family has owned. The 19 miles per gallon is a crock. I fill my tank up at least every five days, and I am on the average driving it only 20 miles a day. Save your mony if you think you like it. Looks don't alwasy mean eveything!

Hope you live close to the dealer
By NancyM on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had to take my Jetta to the dealership 3 times in the last 8 months to get the windows fixed. The lift mechanisms keep breaking. So unless you live within 10 miles of the dealership, and even then it is a pain, the problems override the fun in driving.

Lots of noise
By Jetta owner on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The 2002 Jetta GLX makes lots of rattling noises. It is far from a quit ride. If you are looking at the Jettas make sure to check out the service department. You will spend a ton of time there and it often difficult to get a loaner car.

Goodness... Where to begin!?
By gary12345 on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

12k miles I have already taken it in 5 times, most recently 2 of my gears in my windows melting which will have my car in service for 20 days. 4k miles check engine light goes on and car dies on freeway. dealership laughs at me almost dieing than steals my keychain when I go get my house key from them. 5k miles front window breaks when Im washing my car in 75 degree weather, and in the shade, also knocking on right weel when I reverse. This car is a pile of crap built in Mexico. Do not buy a VW unless you have a crush on the mechanics because you will be there a lot.

Great deal for around $20,000
By Dannyjose on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

To anyone who's thinking of buying an Audi A4 or BMW 325, you gotta try the Jetta. My VR6 has more torque and displacement thant the 325, is fully loaded with features, and costs about $10,000 less. Other than for status, I don't see why anyone would pass up the Jetta. This car is fun to drive and the VR6 has a lot of kick

dysteria
By Dysteria on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car with the 6 cylinder and the 5 speed is a blast to drive. It really goes from a stop and all the way through the rpm curve. I was also very impressed with the handling, it handled like an expensive german car (ie BMW). The quality was also outstanding.

Fun Car to expensive
By Ant on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 01 but the 02 were out so I got a deal on it. Its fun to drive handlkes great but the interior catches evcery piece of lint, cup holders suck, the radio's rear speakers seem to have a problem; brought them back twice dealership can't figure it out, and two days off the lot i had to bring it back they replaced all the brake pads. VW makes a decent car but they charge for a great car. Either they need to lower the cost or increase quality.