Satisfied and Secure Jetta Owner
By nywvblue on
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
I bought my car from its original owner, a retired couple, with 75,000 miles on it and at 6 years old. It had some strange wear in the interior (the arm rests on the doors in the front were half peeled away), but otherwise it was in perfect condition. It lived with me in NYC for the next 2+ years and, aside from a nagging CEL situation due to the MAF sensor failing every 8 months or so as well the mechanism in one side window suddenly failing, it has been a super, reliable car.
Favorite Features
The fold-down rear seats are a brilliant design feature and have come in handy too many times to count! The heated car seats are superb (especially appreciated since moving to the country's snowiest city). The sun roof makes it feel like a convertible on nice days. Excellent speaker system, good radio. I like that the car's chassis feels very well-built and solid -- in rough weather, I have never worried for the soundness of the car itself.
Suggested Improvements
The car's pickup feels challenged at times (a chronic rough shift between 2nd and 3rd) but handles highway driving beautifully. The faulty MAF sensor issue is, I'm told, somewhat typical of Jettas -- I'm proud to say that I've learned to change mine myself and have done so a half dozen times by now, saving myself a ton of money! The seats are a little uncomfortable on long trips. The rear bumper is inefficient and cannot handle much (so I attached rubber strips which saved it from further scrapes).