Still like to drive it after 11 years
By fixit58 on
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi. Averaging 31 mpg. Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack. Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph. Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel. Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only). Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it. Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.
Favorite Features
Reliable drive train, no breakdowns, most expensive maintenance/repair was timing belt & water pump replacement, great versatility with interior space, good ergonomics and long-distance comfort, nice sounding stereo. I still like my ride and haven't been able to make up my mind for spending $30k for a new car when this one is meeting my needs, is still fun to drive, and costs me little to keep on the road compared to depreciation on a new car.
Suggested Improvements
Had needed 6th gear, unacceptable oil consumption, 115 bhp is the king of underpowered (although the manual tranny makes it a bit more peppy than you expect).