2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Check Engine Light: bane of my

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Check Engine Light: bane of my existence
By frozen01 on

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had so many issues! It's like they've gone out of their way to make repairs and maintenance as difficult and expensive as possible. The engine leaks oil, a known VW issue. The worst part is the check engine light. In the 3.5 years I've owned this car, the CE light has been OFF for a total of 2 months. I have taken it to 5 different mechanics, each one plugs it in to the diagnostics computer and either gets NO codes or codes that make no sense. All they can do is turn it off, but it just comes back on. No one can fix it, no one can even find a cause, but the car can't pass an emissions test, and so now I can't legally drive it. $12K wasted!

Turns on a dime, is very fun to drive. Has a sunroof and heated seats, which are lovely. Simple, elegant design, very comfortable interior. Perfect size! Gets decent gas mileage.

Use a different fabric on the interior. It collects animal hair like you wouldn't believe! Needs more cupholders, in some place that doesn't block the stereo. FIX ELECTRICAL ISSUES! Make light bulbs more accessible. Fix known engine oil leak issue.