Problematic - but I still love it!
By mangonoggin on
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)
I've loved my Jetta GLS TDI ever since I bought it. It's such a sharp looker and you really can't beat the fuel efficiency (45+mpg). However, I have had a few of the minor problems mentioned here already (the windows, peeling interior surfaces, finicky CD player). That said, I still love the interior - it's so clean and well designed - and the blue hue of the lights at night are so cool. The Jetta is certainly feature rich - but, I have certainly had problems with some of them. This car certainly could use some improvements in the electrical and interior department. Also, for those with the auto tranny, the shift lock mech. can be a pain - watch out for a faulty brake light switch.
Favorite Features
Drivability, turning radius, commodius trunk, very appealing exterior (the ladies love it!), lots of low end torque, lighting at night, and the best part, fuel economy.
Suggested Improvements
Auto Shift Lock, Brake light switch, cramped rear seating, peeling interior surfaces, not cold weather friendly, one-touch window function, and auto transmission shift mapping is not optomized for the diesel engine.