2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: never again

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLX VR6 Sedan (2.8L V6 5-speed Manual)

never again
By nealmeg on

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Car posed problems from the second day I had it. Numerous expensive repairs that were never covered under the warranty. Broken o2 sensor, mass airflow censor, brake light switch (x3), catalytic converter (was actually covered! Hooray!), coolant leaks, both front widows fell off tracks, sunroof leaked, broken engine coils, etc. There's probably more but it makes me too depressed to think about it. I bought this car brand new one year after my mother bought a new Mazda and the same time my brother bought a Toyota, and guess what! Their cars are running wonderfully 9 years later! And mine? finally traded in for a beautiful Honda!

Style of the car (I still think it's a very attractive car despite it's performance). I also liked the computer dash that told you average mpg, trip lengths, etc. I enjoyed the handling when the car was working. Vr6 engine was very powerful and zipped around.

Build a more reliable vehicle! Don't use cheap parts! I will never buy another VW after this experience. Also, build a larger back seat for passengers.