Great German Wagon
By robpsdhs on
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)
This car replaced a 2000 Beetle (I loved the Beetle but needed more useful cargo space). It has very few negatives: its mileage isn't great. I've used regular gas for three years. The mpg actually improved from when I used super. It has no knocks or pings. I had a problem with the coolant system when I moved to the desert. The coolant evaporates in this intense heat. Now, the positives: the car is great. Its handling after six years is still crisp and responsive. Its fit / finish are excellent. Even using regular gas the acceleration is excellent. I also have a '04 Mustang Convertible. My Jetta wagon is so much more fun to drive. I love this car.
Favorite Features
The heated seats, up/down power windows for both driver/passenger (std. on all 4 windows now?), the red/blue dash lighting is great, and door panel buttons are lit. I like the auto dimming mirror and the stereo controls on steering wheel. The power seats and the Monsoon sound system are excellent. It has running lamps for safety.
Suggested Improvements
The cup holder is a dumb design, when in use, it's impossible to access the stereo controls. The cargo compartment placement for the CD holder is cumbersome. It needs to be dash mounted (maybe it is now). It should get better gas mileage, I get only 20-22 mpg, but it's probably all the power stuff.