I know you might love it, but please DON'T buy it!!!
By tsheanance on
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)
Dear potential buyer of a VW Jetta, I have a 2001 VR6 GLX. I absolutely loved the looks of it, but almost as soon as it 100k miles, the car has started to fall to pieces! Everyday it's like a part is needed to be repaired. In my car I have replaced the serpentine belt, air pump, back break light...my radiator is still leaking coolant and I need a transmission control module chip ($950) since it shifts hard into third gear. The bumper is WAY too low to the ground and I actually broke it off twice (once at Petsmart parking lot...talk about embarrassing). Also, the car is cheap on the inside. The radio button is currently unraveling. You touch it, it breaks. LESSON LEARNED.
Favorite Features
Beautiful leather seats, no blind spots, exterior design, large trunk and monsoon sound system are a plus!
Suggested Improvements
A better transmission, plastic volume button needed, get rid of the crayon smell, and make the bumper more durable/higher up in the air.
By thaihoney2000
on 07/25/11 22:55 PM (PDT)

Wow, I have the exact same experience! I too have a 2001 Jetta but with only 45K miles on it. I've had nothing but problems for the last 8 months from the fuel line to the computer system and now the anti theft function won't let me start my car and I can't seem to find the literature on how to reset it. Plus, My bumper pulled loose in a parking lot. Now my tires hit the bumper when I try to turn. I've put nearly $1,800 in it since the beginning of the year. It's been sitting in my parking lot for more than 4 weeks because I just can't afford any more "fixes" right now.

By mickeyt52
on 04/02/11 17:14 PM (PDT)

I work at a VW dealer, and it's rare to be replacing the serpentine belt, and when we do, it's a relatively easy job - all cars will need their drive belt(s) replaced sooner or later. They last much longer than the V-belts that came came before them. (Secondary) air pumps: yeah, they eventually fail, but it's usually due to combi-valve failure, which allows condensation from the exhaust on cold start-ups to get into the pump and either short it out or cause the bearings to seize. Transmission: When I saw in the description the '5M', I thought you meant that it was equipped with a 5-speed manual trans., but you have an automatic right? We've experienced far more issues with valve bodies when it comes to that hard up-shift, but sometimes the module can be re-programmed to get rid of the harshness. Bumper too low: yeah, common problem. Best thing you can do is avoid parking too close to those concrete stops. There are actually quite a few fasteners holding that cover on, but once that lower edge gets caught up on an obstacle, the ease of which that vr6 can move that car from a standstill will make it seem the the cover is just falling off. Radio button: I've seen them do that within 2 years of ownership for some people. Others' last a lifetime. Easily replaced, though. Crayon smell: yeah, what's up with that? Mine has that too. Love my GLX anyway.