2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sort Reviews by

Money pit
By money pit

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

When everything works the car is great to drive. Unfortunately that's not very often. My car has 129,000 miles on it. I am on my 4th catalytic converter. I've always done my scheduled services at a VW dealer. The car has never made it the entire 5,000 miles without an extra visit for service. This car is such a disappointment. I'll NEVER get another one!

Favorite Features

The traction control is wonderful when driving on snow covered roads. All cars should come with this.

Suggested Improvements

A catalytic converter should last more than 25,000 highway miles.

Love/ Hate Relationship
By Laura

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My Jetta and I have a love/hate relationship. It is super fast with great pick up and acceleration. I also have a BMW 330ci and the Jetta performs just as well. I have had a lot of transmission and electrical problems associated with my Jetta. There is always something that has to be fixed and at 50,000 miles the catalytic converter was replaced (it was under warrenty). It is not very reliable but has excellent handling. It does great in the rain and snow. I have to use premium gas which it eats up. Bad gas mileage for a small car.

Favorite Features

Super fast and fun to drive. Great handling, sexy exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders block radio. Air/ heating can't find perfect temperature. Back seats could use more leg room and better comfort seats.

Think twice
By Jrose

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought htis car for the safety rating and the great reviews. The first six months were great except the gas mileage was way lower than we expected. Then thingsstarted to fall apart. The interior was pealing anywhere there was painted plastic. The center console broke because it was cheap plastic. After about a year, the rest of the car started to fall apart. Except for the first year, we have spent about $800 a year in repairs and of course nothing that went wrong was cover by the warranty. Various engine sensors and parts needed to be replaced and, a shock to me, after only 2 years and 25,000 miles the whole rear brake system had to be replaced.Think twice about buying a used VW Jetta.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable and the stereo has been great, but I can say any thing else was worth the price we paid.

Suggested Improvements

The overall engineering for this year was sub par. VW needs to go back to building solid engines and high quality interiors.

Nice and fun to drive!
By Juan

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Got my Jetta in Jan/04 with 57000 miles on the clock. It has been a new driving experience. It's incredible how the vr6 feels. Get the 5-speed to really enjoy this machine. GLX package is the best with all the options you have in a top of the line European car. I have put 45000 miles with no problems at all, just regular maintenance, replaced the tires at 68k and the shocks/struts @ 95k. Replaced water pump @ 80k (extra warranty covered it). No problems whatsoever.

Favorite Features

Power/torque. Faster than a 325i bimmer. Sport suspension, 17 wheels, leather interior, cd changer, automatic wipers, auto a/c,trip computer, brakes! They really stop the car, full size spare, unique dash illumination, heated seats, mirror and wiper washer nozzles, Monsoon 200w premium audio.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think on a improvement, maybe a lower stance with the sport package.

Fun car, hate the check engine light
By Vdubber

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Jetta two months ago and have put about 2000 miles on it, it had 93000 when I bought it. I love the looks of the car and the features are second to none in the small car realm, the heated leather, sunroof, radio controls on the steering column, it's very fun to drive and fairly economical, it gets around 31 mpg, my only complaint is the check engine light, no matter how many repairs, it will not go off and stay off. $530 later I've decided to let it be on. Sometimes I get so mad about it but then I drive the car and remember why I love it, it's fun to drive, more classy than civic or corolla... did I mention it's fun to drive?

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, features, classy european good looks, solid, holds the road feeling.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders block the radio when open (stupid design), just don't put a check engine light in them.

What else could go wrong?
By S

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I don't even know where to begin. The first year I got the car I had transmission problems. That same year my check engine light came on and I have taken it to the dealer so many times for that problem only for them to tell me one lie after another. Everytime I took it in I payed for them to fix something else. Since then my check engine light is has stayed on for most of the time and I just ignore it. My windows go up when I press down and vice versa. Most recently my car is having trouble starting. Not worth the trouble.

Favorite Features

I love driving it

Suggested Improvements

Major electrical problems.

Great Little Car!
By Steg

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased new in 2001. Car is fun to drive and scoots big time! Quick performance and excellent handling for me. Great fuel economy; 33 on the highway. Never let me down!

Favorite Features

Handling; monsoon sound system; moonroof; heated seats!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders; interior lighting; can see the lower fan switches; improve their quality of the interior.

I love my Jetta.
By Michael

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've had really good luck and a good experience with my Jetta. I've had three issues which weren't recall issues and of those I was without my car overnight only once for 3 days. Since my dealer gave me a loaner, I wasn't without transportation. It has run like a champ. I'm almost at the 80k mileage limit and the last issue I've had has been an upgrade to the catalytic converter software; my extended warranty covered the cost and I walked out without paying a penny. The s/w upgrade actually helped the performance a bit which was a nice benefit. It's been good value for the money and has stood by me well.

Favorite Features

Leather interior, V6, heated seats, 4-door, sunroof, fold down seats, etc. I have the GLX version and it has everything the BMW 3 series of the same year has at $13k less the cost at the time.

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest needs to be a little more sturdy as the latch broke almost immediately, through my carelessness. Front bumper distance monitors would be great for those SUV parking curbs they now install everywhere. They're just high enough to drive on but catch on the reverse.

Got a Good One...
By lovajetta

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

People all seem to have weird problems with their Jettas, but mine runs great and has never let me down. I love this car!

Favorite Features

The turbo power, heated seats, good mileage, and how it is so fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The peeling interior stuff is a pain

Nice Ride
By Sheela

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Jetta is great, minus a few things here and there but I love it. It's faster than I had expected, showing me that I could surpass many higher end cars, it has a nice kick to it. I haven't had any engine trouble but I did by it used and haven't had it for too long so we shall see. I love a lot of details in the interior like the lights in the dash, the stereo system, sunroof, and heated seats. Unfortunately, it was poorly built I'm finding out. The interior rubber-like paint peels off and I have now just peeled it all off and it looks better. I learned quickly not too pull up on a curb because it basically pulls your bumper off which was surprising to me. Other than that though, I love it!

Favorite Features

The sunroof, stereo, cup holders (unlike many I don't mind where they are), driving it is way fun, and heated seats are a nice addition you usually find in more expensive cars.

Suggested Improvements

It doesn't get THAT great of gas mileage, like I expected. It gets about 18-22 in the city, and 26-30 on long trips if I'm lucky. Fix the cheap handles. And I hate how the interior gets dirty fast, lint sticks to the seats and doesn't want to come off unless you try for a long time.