2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love/ Hate Relationship
By Laura on 01/15/08 11:15 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My Jetta and I have a love/hate relationship. It is super fast with great pick up and acceleration. I also have a BMW 330ci and the Jetta performs just as well. I have had a lot of transmission and electrical problems associated with my Jetta. There is always something that has to be fixed and at 50,000 miles the catalytic converter was replaced (it was under warrenty). It is not very reliable but has excellent handling. It does great in the rain and snow. I have to use premium gas which it eats up. Bad gas mileage for a small car.

Think twice
By Jrose on 10/02/07 09:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought htis car for the safety rating and the great reviews. The first six months were great except the gas mileage was way lower than we expected. Then thingsstarted to fall apart. The interior was pealing anywhere there was painted plastic. The center console broke because it was cheap plastic. After about a year, the rest of the car started to fall apart. Except for the first year, we have spent about $800 a year in repairs and of course nothing that went wrong was cover by the warranty. Various engine sensors and parts needed to be replaced and, a shock to me, after only 2 years and 25,000 miles the whole rear brake system had to be replaced.Think twice about buying a used VW Jetta.

Nice and fun to drive!
By Juan on 08/24/07 07:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Got my Jetta in Jan/04 with 57000 miles on the clock. It has been a new driving experience. It's incredible how the vr6 feels. Get the 5-speed to really enjoy this machine. GLX package is the best with all the options you have in a top of the line European car. I have put 45000 miles with no problems at all, just regular maintenance, replaced the tires at 68k and the shocks/struts @ 95k. Replaced water pump @ 80k (extra warranty covered it). No problems whatsoever.

Fun car, hate the check engine light
By Vdubber on 05/16/07 13:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Jetta two months ago and have put about 2000 miles on it, it had 93000 when I bought it. I love the looks of the car and the features are second to none in the small car realm, the heated leather, sunroof, radio controls on the steering column, it's very fun to drive and fairly economical, it gets around 31 mpg, my only complaint is the check engine light, no matter how many repairs, it will not go off and stay off. $530 later I've decided to let it be on. Sometimes I get so mad about it but then I drive the car and remember why I love it, it's fun to drive, more classy than civic or corolla... did I mention it's fun to drive?

What else could go wrong?
By S on 04/26/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I don't even know where to begin. The first year I got the car I had transmission problems. That same year my check engine light came on and I have taken it to the dealer so many times for that problem only for them to tell me one lie after another. Everytime I took it in I payed for them to fix something else. Since then my check engine light is has stayed on for most of the time and I just ignore it. My windows go up when I press down and vice versa. Most recently my car is having trouble starting. Not worth the trouble.

Great Little Car!
By Steg on 04/02/07 19:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased new in 2001. Car is fun to drive and scoots big time! Quick performance and excellent handling for me. Great fuel economy; 33 on the highway. Never let me down!

I love my Jetta.
By Michael on 04/01/07 22:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've had really good luck and a good experience with my Jetta. I've had three issues which weren't recall issues and of those I was without my car overnight only once for 3 days. Since my dealer gave me a loaner, I wasn't without transportation. It has run like a champ. I'm almost at the 80k mileage limit and the last issue I've had has been an upgrade to the catalytic converter software; my extended warranty covered the cost and I walked out without paying a penny. The s/w upgrade actually helped the performance a bit which was a nice benefit. It's been good value for the money and has stood by me well.

Got a Good One...
By lovajetta on 03/04/07 10:36 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

People all seem to have weird problems with their Jettas, but mine runs great and has never let me down. I love this car!

Nice Ride
By Sheela on 02/27/07 19:31 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Jetta is great, minus a few things here and there but I love it. It's faster than I had expected, showing me that I could surpass many higher end cars, it has a nice kick to it. I haven't had any engine trouble but I did by it used and haven't had it for too long so we shall see. I love a lot of details in the interior like the lights in the dash, the stereo system, sunroof, and heated seats. Unfortunately, it was poorly built I'm finding out. The interior rubber-like paint peels off and I have now just peeled it all off and it looks better. I learned quickly not too pull up on a curb because it basically pulls your bumper off which was surprising to me. Other than that though, I love it!

VW Jetta, Great Car
By johns jetta vr6 on 01/17/07 23:12 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up a 2001 VW Jetta GLI VR6 at a great price about two years ago. I have delivered pizzas in it. I don't take good care of it with all the stop and go driving I do with this car. The only thing that I have replaced is the tires. I drive about 150 hard miles a day and my Jetta still looks and runs new. It never misses a beat and I mostly do downtown city driving. My Jetta is a little silver tank.