Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Fun to drive, slowly falling apart
By Tiznow80

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

It's strange with this car. I really enjoy driving it but I've had issues with it for a long time. I had to replace all 6 engine coils about 3 years ago that cost me $800. Various other things have broken as well (glove box, arm rest - 2 places, rear ash tray, turn signal - twice and front bumper coming off. Saying all of that, it's a fun car to drive with a lot of great options.

Heated seats, sound system, great pickup.

Cup holders are in an awful spot above the CD player. You have to push the cup holders back in to get to the CD player.

fun reliable turbo
By artcwike

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought a manual 2001 Wolfsburg edition in the fall with a ton of miles (130,000). Downsized from a newer jeep liberty for better milage/no payments. The small 1.8 liter engine is amazing on gas, while the turbocharger adds plenty of zip. While driving more conservatively, I went about a month on one tank. But it's hard to resist redlining that turbo from time to time. Reliable so far with the biggest problem being a burnt out turn signal. Miserable driving on snow or ice. Interior smells like crayons (read that its the fire retardent foam under the carpet). Large trunk and plenty of room for carseats. Would recommend

turbocharger, stick shift, gas milage

cup holders, rear heat

A pleasant suprise
By Timberwolf919

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I bought this car, I wasn't really enthusiastic about it. I had been trying for a MINI, and kinda got stuck with this (the dealers were shady). However, to my enjoyment, I have gotten quite comfortable with it since then. Adding rims and a few aftermarket things made this car very classy, and I enjoyed the ride. I did get a finicky blinker, though, and the starter made a funny noise, although it was mechanically sound. But at 132k miles, I am pleased to find that I haven't had to do much to the car at all. I replaced the vacuum tubing and secondary air pump for about $700, but mechanics were fair: $45 for extensive diagnostics. Looking to do a few more things for a truly killer ride.

Leather (although it smells like crayons), Heated seats, Turbo/BOV, decorative trim

Parts can be expensive, and the starter could be improved. I think there are many things that have happened in recent models to compensate for these, though.

Love the car!!
By geovanni11

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing..from low fuel consumption to great exterior design..i love everything about it..even when the check engine light turned on and i didn't have the money to fix it, it kept going strong and never let me down. Great car!!

love the sound system and the sunroof!!they 17' alloy wheels give it a better look.

too low to the ground on speed bumps i tend to nearly always hear the bottom being scratched by the pavement..

Love this little car!
By kerfoot

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this lovely little VW eight years ago after driving an old model Ford Explorer and I loved the change! The Jetta has been so reliable and comfortable. Not to mention much better in gas mileage. The console is very convenient with all knobs and buttons within an easy hands reach. Very comfortable seats with plenty of leg room. Not to mention a HUGE trunk for such a small car. Very well crafted and sturdy. I always felt safe driving her. In almost eight years, she only was in the shop once for a sensor failure. With punctual oil changes and maintanence, the Jetta will run like new for a loooong time!

Good gas mileage. The version I drive has heated seats.

A little higher bumper, I sometimes caught it on parking lot curbs...