2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love my Car, Not my dealership
By Kristina on 07/07/08 04:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

To be honest I love my car. I don't love my local VW dealership. Every time I take her in for a $100 oil change something needs to be fixed. However, being female I always go for a second opinion before I get anything done and half the time they are just trying to rip me off. The catalytic converter did go. But it was under and extended warranty because there was an error in all 1.8ts in 2001. The O2 sensors. Fine, it was time for them to go. As for the rest I will never go back to my dealership unless I have a problem no one else can figure out.

repair despair
By Doesnt matter on 06/27/08 05:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Fuel pump failure, check timing belt repair, check electrical problems, check I could go on and on about the problems I've had with this darn car.

Paid off early & driving it till it dies
By saarij on 06/22/08 01:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first "new car." Beyond paying too much for it, the car eats oil on the order of 1qt every 3- 4k. "It's designed that way." is the best description multiple VW dealerships around the country say, and is echoed by the national reps even after putting synthetic in it from day one at the recommended intervals (10k). I add & monitor it every 3-4 times I fill up. After 150k it has a unique "drone" at the 3800 RPM. My repairs have been the standard wear items (brakes, timing belt, CV boot). The car requires unique VW tools to do some of the most basic jobs (like rear brakes). Several recall items - mostly electrical. Insurance and repairs are typically higher for VWs.

'01 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8L Wolfsburg Ed.
By Andrew on 06/18/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

I just recently bought my 2001 Jetta. I have heard of all of the problems and concerns they have. I did my research and in my opinion it is worth it. If you buy a Volkswagen you must realize that one; it is an ALL GERMAN MADE VEHICLE. Most cars on the road, whether it be Toyota, Honda, Subuaru or Audi, most of the parts are made in America. Excluding 2008 models, VW's are exclusively made in Germany, especially engine parts, hoses, etc. I have had to put some work and money into it but for the gas mileage, performance, handling and safety, I love it. Plus I enjoy learning about my car and how to fix it. It has flaws, all cars do, and VWs take a bit extra work, but to me it is worth it!!!

fun to drive!
By Vantha on 06/15/08 22:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I use to own a 2003 Honda Civic but this 2001 Volkswagen owns it! to my surprise when I had my foot on the accelerator it was fast! and I could surpass any cars even the high end cars. I'm also glad for the fact that the brakes are fast and sensitive. I didn't expect much from it and now I enjoy riding it so much! Since I just bought this car, I'm still figuring out some stuff to it, because EVERYTHING is automatic even to the fact that almost everything has buttons to it! Another thing that's great about this car, is the comfort of it, when you're in it, it's like you're sitting in an SUV because the seats are so elevated.

Don't Buy a VW, Too Many Problems
By Fabby on 04/22/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a headache. There is always some kind of electrical problem going on. It burns oil at about 1 quart per 3000 miles. Terrible car, highly do not recommend it.

Fun but unreliable
By Poolfish on 04/10/08 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I'm at 117,000 miles and and getting ready to trade in for a Honda. The MIL is on right now because of a bad coolant sensor, a bad 02 sensor and a bad catalytic converter. The heater core also has a hole in it, so the car smells like anti-freeze if I turn the heat on. I hope the dealer doesn't take it for a drive before proposing a trade in value. I figure I've put about $10k into the car on repairs over the years, with only about $2k being normal scheduled maintenance. That includes a few new rims and tires because it does not handle pot holes too well! It is fun to drive though, so I will miss that after the trade in.

Do Not BuyThis Car
By fromaustin on 03/20/08 04:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Snappy handling, looks good, decent mileage, assembled in Mexico: good looking junk. Repairs, repairs, more repairs, car disintegrating. This car is extremely hard to work on, stuff is difficult to get to, increasing repair costs, and very, very cheaply made.

airbags deploying, why?
By trynsumthinew on 03/18/08 14:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

"What else could go wrong?" Yeah, that should be my headline as well. After the second week I purchased the vehicle my check engine light went on, not a bog deal, my warranty took care of it...but then everything else started going out on me: driver side and curtain airbags deployed for going over a "small" pothole, passenger heated seat went out, o2 sensor went bad 3 times, rear windows stopped working, am radio wouldn't work, edc braking system failed, vehicle stalled multiple multiple times! My car has been in the shop and have cost me a hell of a lot of money. As I am writing this review, my car is being worked on and God knows how much this is going to cost me!

Money pit
By money pit on 03/12/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

When everything works the car is great to drive. Unfortunately that's not very often. My car has 129,000 miles on it. I am on my 4th catalytic converter. I've always done my scheduled services at a VW dealer. The car has never made it the entire 5,000 miles without an extra visit for service. This car is such a disappointment. I'll NEVER get another one!