2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good year for the Jetta
By Andrea on 01/17/09 19:46 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I never would have thought about buying a foreign vehicle until my bf got me psyched about the idea of owning one. We just went to some random dealership and I was so happy when we test drove this. I've had it almost a yr now with no problems. It's got over 96,000 miles on it and is still a young one. I plan on keeping this vehicle for as long as I can.

jetta that is junk.
By mikey on 12/05/08 09:50 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car drives like a dream when it decides to run. I have had so much trouble trying to keep this thing running that I would never buy another. I had a 1968 beetle that never let me down like this car. They are Nice to look at but you never know where you will be stranded. I bought this car for my daughter but will not let her drive it for safety sake. Not even the Volkswagen dealers can fix these pieces of trash. I still owe 2 years on this thing so if I get rid of it I wiil be a lucky man.

WOW I love this car!!
By Kay S on 12/02/08 09:15 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just bought this car a week ago and I already know I will be keeping it till it kicks. I love driving it, it is so much fun! The handling is amazing, the shifting is smoother than anything I have ever driven. Take off is the best part. And I can fit all three of my kid seats in back! Thank you Volkswagen for making such a beautiful car

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By jenae on 11/21/08 20:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Interior: Paint on door handle, stereo and cup holder peeled off. Faulty cup holder spill drinks while driving. Center console mechanism broke and will not support its own weight. Temperature controls do not light up. Exterior: bumper thing on front has too little clearance and will rip off if you get too close to a curb. Front air vents on bumper fell out while driving on highway. Engine: Transmission failing it has problems going from a stop to moving without jerking heavily and randomly decelerates while driving at a steady speed. Car dies while driving with no check engine light to trigger a code. On a better note, itís comfortable and I get 26 mpg

This car will turn you on
By gettadub734 on 11/13/08 02:37 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car 6 months ago I love my VW, very fast, good gas mileage unless you use the turbo then the gas goes fast, been very reliable to me only thing is the turn signal on 1 side is out guess that's common, but beautiful car to look at and can throw you back in your seat. Mine has 165,000 and runs like new its unreal, but I run synthetic oil and 93 octane.

Wanna Waste Your Money? Buy A VW.
By Angie on 10/26/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This was my second car and taught me the biggest lesson of my life. Buying this car means putting a lot of money into it. I was looking forward to blacking the car out and when i saved up money to do so on my project, something always went wrong. In the shop at least 2 or 3 times a month. Burns oil constantly. Electrical system difficulties. Headlight covers get really hazy. The way they have the rear view mirror is ridiculous and doesn't stay on well with heat.

Be wary of VR6 w/ auto trans
By . on 09/20/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a used 2001 Jetta VR6 automatic to replace a 2001 Beetle 1.8T 5-Speed. This was the 8th VW I've owned (several GTIs, Sciroccos, a Karmann Ghia) but the first VR6, the first 4-speed automatic and the first with unexpected issues. Electrical gremlins made themselves known within the first 1000 miles we put on the car. First, it would occasionally refuse to start unless you reseated the battery-box fuses. Then the sunroof began opening spontaneously. The dealership wasn't able to sort the electrical problems, so I took it to my usual private VW expert. He rolled his eyes and said that VR6 automatics are notoriously problematic (though he had praise for the 2.0 and 1.8T manuals).

Good car
By hellogoodbye on 09/16/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 jetta and it is very great I love my car and would recommend it to everyone if you're careful and actually take care of your car the inside would deteriorate. If you're also careful the engine shouldn't break nothing should really go wrong unless it's something you did or the previous owner did. Also it should come with a cd player or at least mine did. it's great reliable and the best car to have

awesome
By zach032 on 09/16/08 07:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for almost a year and the only thing that I've replaced is the brakes. I've put on a lot of extras with the motor and the visual details. i've loved this car since i've had it. i also has 95,000 miles on and the dealer gave me all the service records witch he told very good car of it. basically if you can take care of the car, you will love it

Caveat Emptor/Buyer Beware
By No More VW on 09/14/08 11:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is cute and the body feels "durable." However, the engine was purposefully designed to ONLY be repaired by VW dealership, as most smaller repair shops never have the specific parts in stock, and always find it difficult to get the parts from VW. The "check engine" light continuously lighted up (usually for no reason, causing me unnecessary trips to VW). The "mass air flow sensor" failed at least 8 times. The radiator had to be replaced ($680). The water pump and related fans had to be replaced ($800+). Spark plugs "misfired" and had to be replaced ($950). Engine hoses and pipes burst because they melted ($450). I could go on and on.