2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Don't get a VW
By Ilya on 08/18/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive even with the low HP, particularly mine with a stick, but such a hassle as far as reliability. Bought it new and had problems from almost day 1, you name I've fixed it.

Not a bad car
By SK18 on 08/13/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this older car to get around town and to go back and forth from the train station mainly. It's cute and fun to drive, but just a couple of months after purchasing needed work, which the mechanics I took it to had trouble spotting. Getting it fixed has been a hassle, but that's often the case with any car.

2001 Jetta - Coil Ignition resolved
By Trootie on 08/04/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I Always wanted a Jetta, for it's known reliability and safety. However, I discovered how it is not so reliable, I've had multiple sensors go bad, the cat went bad along with the alternator and now the coil Ignition went bad. If your VW has issues when starting in the rain, engine light goes crazy the car bucks and feels like it wants to stall it is the ignition coil. Just got a quote from the dealer 525. to fix. I have currently 112K miles on it, young for a VW I think to have so many issues, I drove a Geo Storm Prior and sold it with 164K and never had so many issues. Luckily a lot of the stuff was cover under warranty at first.. but seems like a money pit, what's next?

Poor quality
By James on 07/22/09 07:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I got this 2001 Jetta in 2004. Very loud, poor power. Hard to start until I cleaned out a part of an emission(eat your own exhaust) part. Just to get to the alternator is over $200 in labor, and labor to replace the alternator belt is $107, very hard to get to. IF this car would not break down so much, it would be good, 45-55MPG. I thought I would save a lot of money with this good gas mileage, but how much gas can you buy with a $1200 repair bill? I have not saved any money, and it is not dependable, I do not trust this car enough to drive it cross country.

Love My Jetta!
By Betsy on 07/12/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2004 with 65,000 miles and it has been a gem. It's fun to drive (manual) and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It has 128,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I will buy another Jetta next time I need a car but I'd like to get a diesel for better gas mileage. My GLS gets 26-29 which is pretty good for such a fantastic engine that just purrs at 80 mph. Can't say enough good about it.

Great Car
By gestenta on 06/23/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Jetta GL with 6 miles on it. It is the base model and does not have any of the power options which people consistently complain about in reviews. The car now has 230,000 miles on it and runs better than ever. I am a do it yourself type, but all in all it's been a great car. Changed the oil every 5000 miles with Catrol Synthetic Blend.

Don't Buy One!
By BWare on 06/14/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I admired the looks of the Jetta for a long time and knew this was the car for me. I bought it with 15,00 miles in 2001. When I drove the 5 speed, I was thrilled with its zip and handling. Never had a more fun car to drive. However, this car has cost me more money to maintain than ANY I have ever owned. Replacement of coils, light and electrical probs, the list is a long one. I will never own another Volkswagon. I am going back to buy another reliable, if a bit boring, Honda-which I had before and which cost me almost nothing to maintain and never broke down.

Youre Kidding Right?
By Donner on 05/30/09 17:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in January 2009. The first 5 weeks, the signal lights clicked randomly. Then the car would stall out of nowhere. I got it fixed and everything seemed fine for about 4 months. Now, I'm being told I need a new transmission, a new fuel regulator (whatever that is), and 4 new fuses. You've got to be kidding. I only have 64,000 miles, I cant possibly imagine the car being on the road another 40,000 miles.

Best of the Best
By Nicholas on 05/18/09 01:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I had this VR6 for 4 years now. I reviewed other reviews from other clients who owned it. I'm lucky... Most have problems and being put in shop often. My VR6 has been running excellent for me with average of 35 MPG. Low profile tires (51 PSI), performace K&N air filter, full synethic oil, prenium gas, increases gas mileage. I've pushed my RPM over 7,000 so many times and never had a problem with it. I've topped almost 175 MPH with a radar used from a friend. All STOCK! It is a very fast car. I've raced BMW M5 and beat him, he was an idiot, he had auto and I had stick shift and I won 500 bucks. hee hee. Best car I've owned except for my old Dodge V10 truck.

TDI Power
By TDI13 on 05/05/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased this car last year from the orginal owner with just over 100,000 miles on it. I have put 35,000 trouble free miles on it in the past year and I love it... Great power, reliability and can't forget fuel economy. At an aveage of 50 mpg it pays for itself. I have had no problems to speak of, and have only needed regular maintenance and had to replace the brake light switch, (common problem), and was a cheap fix.