2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love the car!!
By geovanni11 on 12/30/09 21:31 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing..from low fuel consumption to great exterior design..i love everything about it..even when the check engine light turned on and i didn't have the money to fix it, it kept going strong and never let me down. Great car!!

Love this little car!
By kerfoot on 12/13/09 17:51 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this lovely little VW eight years ago after driving an old model Ford Explorer and I loved the change! The Jetta has been so reliable and comfortable. Not to mention much better in gas mileage. The console is very convenient with all knobs and buttons within an easy hands reach. Very comfortable seats with plenty of leg room. Not to mention a HUGE trunk for such a small car. Very well crafted and sturdy. I always felt safe driving her. In almost eight years, she only was in the shop once for a sensor failure. With punctual oil changes and maintanence, the Jetta will run like new for a loooong time!

Make good commercials-but horrible cars
By Anakin on 12/11/09 17:37 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February of 2009. It had 87,000 miles on it. I got it for a good price because the glove box was broken and the seller wanted to get rid of it. Bad idea. Soon after driving it around the grill fell off, the driver's mirror fell off, the seats don't recline, the lid that covers the outlet didn't close, the MAF sensor has been replaced 3 times, if you spill water on the seats it stains, and today my trunk decided to stop opening. Either do your research before you buy a Jetta (I would not recommend it however) or buy a Mazda, which I am about to do if I can sell it.

Not exactly "das auto"
By Jonathan Streit on 11/28/09 08:28 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When i first purchased this VW i only had the opportunity to drive it for 3 days until i was showing off the car to a friend when all of the sudden it wouldn't start due to a electrical ground connection. since then i have dumped over 8,500$ into this HOLE. repairs extremely expensive and often. i don't think i have driven for two weeks without the check engine light coming on for some god forsaken reason. If your buying VW think twice and really look at what your purchasing. have the car checked by a CERTIFIED VW mechanic or you WILL REGRET your decision. oh and by the way ever notice that strange... crayola crayon smell emitting from the air vents??. i moved on. you should too.

Check Engine Light: bane of my existence
By frozen01 on 11/21/09 13:50 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had so many issues! It's like they've gone out of their way to make repairs and maintenance as difficult and expensive as possible. The engine leaks oil, a known VW issue. The worst part is the check engine light. In the 3.5 years I've owned this car, the CE light has been OFF for a total of 2 months. I have taken it to 5 different mechanics, each one plugs it in to the diagnostics computer and either gets NO codes or codes that make no sense. All they can do is turn it off, but it just comes back on. No one can fix it, no one can even find a cause, but the car can't pass an emissions test, and so now I can't legally drive it. $12K wasted!

Gotta be something betta
By nghappycabin on 10/30/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When it's in operating condition, the ride is awesome and fun. Comfortable, stylish & unique features on the interior. I like the way it drives and the comfort, but there's been just too many problems with it to recommend it to others. Window fell into the door, oil plan needed replaced, some computer sensor for $180, serpentine belt and I've had to replace the same headlight bulb twice w/in last 30K miles. Interior parts look nice but they break easily and are expensive to replace. Trunk latch snapped in cold weather, console latch busted & cup holder broke ($160 for a new cup holder, for example). Just found out the cooling fan is broken ($500). Everything is expensive to fix.

Don't get a VW
By Ilya on 08/18/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive even with the low HP, particularly mine with a stick, but such a hassle as far as reliability. Bought it new and had problems from almost day 1, you name I've fixed it.

Not a bad car
By SK18 on 08/13/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this older car to get around town and to go back and forth from the train station mainly. It's cute and fun to drive, but just a couple of months after purchasing needed work, which the mechanics I took it to had trouble spotting. Getting it fixed has been a hassle, but that's often the case with any car.

2001 Jetta - Coil Ignition resolved
By Trootie on 08/04/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I Always wanted a Jetta, for it's known reliability and safety. However, I discovered how it is not so reliable, I've had multiple sensors go bad, the cat went bad along with the alternator and now the coil Ignition went bad. If your VW has issues when starting in the rain, engine light goes crazy the car bucks and feels like it wants to stall it is the ignition coil. Just got a quote from the dealer 525. to fix. I have currently 112K miles on it, young for a VW I think to have so many issues, I drove a Geo Storm Prior and sold it with 164K and never had so many issues. Luckily a lot of the stuff was cover under warranty at first.. but seems like a money pit, what's next?

Love My Jetta!
By Betsy on 07/12/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2004 with 65,000 miles and it has been a gem. It's fun to drive (manual) and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It has 128,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I will buy another Jetta next time I need a car but I'd like to get a diesel for better gas mileage. My GLS gets 26-29 which is pretty good for such a fantastic engine that just purrs at 80 mph. Can't say enough good about it.