2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
farfegnugen
By brittany on 04/26/10 18:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is so much fun to drive, and easy to learn on. Parts are a bit expensive,but it hasn't really broken down. One tail light keeps going out, but that's about it. This is an excellent car and I love the turbo. The only problem I have is that it requires premium gas, which is more expensive than diesel. I only get around 22-26 MPG, so I would recommend getting a TDI considering gas prices right now. Also, it gets dents and scratches very easily (like from dogs jumping up). Overall, this is a great car.

Fun to drive, slowly falling apart
By Tiznow80 on 03/12/10 20:34 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

It's strange with this car. I really enjoy driving it but I've had issues with it for a long time. I had to replace all 6 engine coils about 3 years ago that cost me $800. Various other things have broken as well (glove box, arm rest - 2 places, rear ash tray, turn signal - twice and front bumper coming off. Saying all of that, it's a fun car to drive with a lot of great options.

fun reliable turbo
By artcwike on 01/29/10 16:39 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought a manual 2001 Wolfsburg edition in the fall with a ton of miles (130,000). Downsized from a newer jeep liberty for better milage/no payments. The small 1.8 liter engine is amazing on gas, while the turbocharger adds plenty of zip. While driving more conservatively, I went about a month on one tank. But it's hard to resist redlining that turbo from time to time. Reliable so far with the biggest problem being a burnt out turn signal. Miserable driving on snow or ice. Interior smells like crayons (read that its the fire retardent foam under the carpet). Large trunk and plenty of room for carseats. Would recommend

A pleasant suprise
By Timberwolf919 on 01/15/10 21:47 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I bought this car, I wasn't really enthusiastic about it. I had been trying for a MINI, and kinda got stuck with this (the dealers were shady). However, to my enjoyment, I have gotten quite comfortable with it since then. Adding rims and a few aftermarket things made this car very classy, and I enjoyed the ride. I did get a finicky blinker, though, and the starter made a funny noise, although it was mechanically sound. But at 132k miles, I am pleased to find that I haven't had to do much to the car at all. I replaced the vacuum tubing and secondary air pump for about $700, but mechanics were fair: $45 for extensive diagnostics. Looking to do a few more things for a truly killer ride.

Love the car!!
By geovanni11 on 12/30/09 21:31 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing..from low fuel consumption to great exterior design..i love everything about it..even when the check engine light turned on and i didn't have the money to fix it, it kept going strong and never let me down. Great car!!

Love this little car!
By kerfoot on 12/13/09 17:51 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this lovely little VW eight years ago after driving an old model Ford Explorer and I loved the change! The Jetta has been so reliable and comfortable. Not to mention much better in gas mileage. The console is very convenient with all knobs and buttons within an easy hands reach. Very comfortable seats with plenty of leg room. Not to mention a HUGE trunk for such a small car. Very well crafted and sturdy. I always felt safe driving her. In almost eight years, she only was in the shop once for a sensor failure. With punctual oil changes and maintanence, the Jetta will run like new for a loooong time!

Make good commercials-but horrible cars
By Anakin on 12/11/09 17:37 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February of 2009. It had 87,000 miles on it. I got it for a good price because the glove box was broken and the seller wanted to get rid of it. Bad idea. Soon after driving it around the grill fell off, the driver's mirror fell off, the seats don't recline, the lid that covers the outlet didn't close, the MAF sensor has been replaced 3 times, if you spill water on the seats it stains, and today my trunk decided to stop opening. Either do your research before you buy a Jetta (I would not recommend it however) or buy a Mazda, which I am about to do if I can sell it.

Not exactly "das auto"
By Jonathan Streit on 11/28/09 08:28 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When i first purchased this VW i only had the opportunity to drive it for 3 days until i was showing off the car to a friend when all of the sudden it wouldn't start due to a electrical ground connection. since then i have dumped over 8,500$ into this HOLE. repairs extremely expensive and often. i don't think i have driven for two weeks without the check engine light coming on for some god forsaken reason. If your buying VW think twice and really look at what your purchasing. have the car checked by a CERTIFIED VW mechanic or you WILL REGRET your decision. oh and by the way ever notice that strange... crayola crayon smell emitting from the air vents??. i moved on. you should too.

Check Engine Light: bane of my existence
By frozen01 on 11/21/09 13:50 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had so many issues! It's like they've gone out of their way to make repairs and maintenance as difficult and expensive as possible. The engine leaks oil, a known VW issue. The worst part is the check engine light. In the 3.5 years I've owned this car, the CE light has been OFF for a total of 2 months. I have taken it to 5 different mechanics, each one plugs it in to the diagnostics computer and either gets NO codes or codes that make no sense. All they can do is turn it off, but it just comes back on. No one can fix it, no one can even find a cause, but the car can't pass an emissions test, and so now I can't legally drive it. $12K wasted!

Gotta be something betta
By nghappycabin on 10/30/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When it's in operating condition, the ride is awesome and fun. Comfortable, stylish & unique features on the interior. I like the way it drives and the comfort, but there's been just too many problems with it to recommend it to others. Window fell into the door, oil plan needed replaced, some computer sensor for $180, serpentine belt and I've had to replace the same headlight bulb twice w/in last 30K miles. Interior parts look nice but they break easily and are expensive to replace. Trunk latch snapped in cold weather, console latch busted & cup holder broke ($160 for a new cup holder, for example). Just found out the cooling fan is broken ($500). Everything is expensive to fix.