2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews 38

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Jetta TDI
By marku on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I bought the Jetta TDI about a year ago, and have not been sorry. In terms of reliability and ergonomics, it was and is the hands down winner in its class. I get about 39MPG in mostly highway driving, which is slighly less milage then the advertised 41 highway. Bottom line: spend the extra $$$ and get the Jetta!

Inferior Interior
By Kahn on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It's like driving a huge "lint brush"!!! Anything article of clothing worn sticks to the seats & the doors! I have complained repeatedly to VW Customer Care, to no avail! VW offered to send me a "Kit" to help deal with the problem (Kit=(1) lint brush and a rag)...go figure! I asked if they had received complaints?...the operator stated, "No." I asked, "Why does VW conveniently have a kit available to deal with a problem they say does not exist!??" The answer received was so ridiculous, I can't even remember what the response was!!! Not only is it annoying to have to continuously clean this car, but it's embarrassing to have to explain why the interior looks like CRAP!!!!

Ger. Engnr-good; Mex. assembly-bad
By Tula's Mom on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got in to my first car accident 16 days after I bought my first Jetta in Sept 2000. It was totaled and I am convinced saved my life. On the other hand, my new VW jetta (Oct.2000) drives like a dream but I have been hassled w/ the driver's seat cable breaking, the arm rest lock breaking, the engine light randomly coming on and dealing w/ a service team that thinks you have all day & every day to spend with them by turning what should be one visit into two. Due to these dumb things happening I am about to drop $1350 for the extended warranty (2001 models get the 24000mi or 2yr jippy warranty).

Mixed Emotions
By Jetta J on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I am approaching 30K on my 2001 GLX 5- speed and am sad to say that I won't own it long enough to reach 31K. I love the look and all the neat gadgets the Jetta has to offer-it truly is a fun car and I haven't seen any other has everything I could want and more. Pretty crummy that a cd player isn't standard on the top-of-the-line model. Unfortunately, the warranty is out and the problems are just increasing. The passenger driver side window went down and got stuck, the gas cover motor needed fixed and then replacing ($160), engine problem ($800+), driver side door not aligned properly, and the heat is no longer hot. For $25K, I expect my car to be reliable far past the 25K mile warranty.

VW Jetta 1.8t
By Oakley on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Car was fine at first. Windows regulators break and window drops into door - $$$$$ Engine Mass Air Flow sensor a common problem. $300.00 to fix. 1.8t engine surges - Very common problem. No real fix

Rattle and HUMMMM
By Brad M. on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this is a very well designed and built car. For the money it feels and drives like a more expensive car. However, my car suffered from door rattles over bumps which the dealer was able to fix after two attempts. WIND NOISE is a problem the dealer has not been able to fix. The driver's door does not seal properly agains the frame of the car causing excessive wind noise above 50 mph. Also, the dashboard is not properly aligned between the doors resulting in a considerable gap between the driver's door and the dash. CHECK FOR THESE TYPES OF PROBLEMS BEFORE BUYING.

A small performance sedan value
By Sheep on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellent performance when chipped. Also increases gas mileage if you use the greatly enhanced torque to your advantage. The styling is very Euro: conservative yet fresh. Everything works in the car well. Controls well placed. Driving position is excellent. Transmission is very smooth and very precise if upgrade the shifter, which I did. I bought the car with the intention of making it into a hardcore sporty sedan with a minimum investment and it has delivered in spades! Fit and finish is superb for a car in this class; the interior will shame any Asian or American car in this category.

Excellent German-Designed Car
By J B Books on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Jetta Turbo gas model performs well, has comfortable seating, excellent Monsoon sound system, great sports suspension, and rates the safest of any auto on the Consumer Reports/NHTSA crash tests: 5 star head on and 4 star side crash. The car has been reliable and is a poor man's BMW.

2001 Wolfsburg Edition
By Q_200Hp on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2001 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta a year ago and I absolutely love it. The 1.8 Liter turbo provides plenty of power, the sports suspension is great, and the breaks are incredible. With a 1/4 inch stainless steel exhaust down pipe including the CAT and a wideband O2 sensor ($300 part alone!!!!! Most cars only have a $50 part). I donít know any other car with those stock components. I have tunned my car putting in a strut bar and increasing the boost. It was a lot of trouble to do so, but well worth it. Now I have 200hp and can take on a VR6.

Wolfsburgs not so great.
By KLF on 03/08/02 16:58 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned my Wolfsburg for a little over a year now and I wish I'd never bought it in the first place. I've had to take it into the dealership at least 9 times. Four times for the same thing!! My speakers rattle constantly REALLY loud and nobody can seem to fix the problem. I also have a thumping in my trunk coming from who knows what! I could go on and on, but I don't have room. Bottom line: "El producto de Mexico"! I'll never buy a VW again. My advise...buy American.