Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Volkswagen Service is HORRIBLE!
By Siv

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my 1st brand new car and VW has ruined it for me. Although the Jetta appears to be a great car, the service is horrible. I've had a lot of problems with this car. Most recent is my car stalls out of nowhere. I'm driving & all of a sudden it comes to a complete stop & my engine light & EPC light come on. I've taken it to VW 4 times & they cannot figure it out. The worst part is that they are very rude & nasty about it. I have been to 3 different dealershipS in the NY area & have had NO LUCK. Do not go to New Country VW in Greenwich CT, Mayer VW in Larchmont NY or CityLine VW in Bronx NY.

SERVICE

love my jetta
By ghari

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

ilove almost everything about my jetta this is my 2nd jetta and i had my first on for 11 yrs without any major problems it could use some redesigning on the height of the car it easily hits humps and concrete parking slabs if you are not careful also they need to redesign the way the seats adjust the screw knob is hard to turn

ilove the look and the colour of my car it is atlantic blue it drives great and is sporty enough without being to small and handles great in the mountains love the moon roof and has great pickup for getting on freeway

seat adjustments and car is too low to ground

RUN AWAY!!!
By deandeandean

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This was one of the best cars I'd ever bought, until the ENGINE SEIZED UP flying down the interstate @ 80+. It seems the dealership FORGOT to put the drain plug back in after an oil change. After THREE WEEKS in a rental GEO Metro, the dealership returns the jetta to me with a "new" engine that BLEW UP less than a month later. Mind you, the car had just under 19,000 miles! I took the car to another VW dealer (you have to so the warranty pays) and they replaced the engine AGAIN! At 23,368 miles, this "new" one DIED. Dead. No note, no clues, just graveyard dead. When the dealership picked up the car, I gave them the keys, too.

Interior lights are unusual. Nice.

Set it on fire and let the insurance pay it off. I will NEVER have any dealings with VW again.

Like it or leave it!
By ry1987

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I find that most people have a like it or leave it attitude with jettas, they either like the styling or dont. Like the build quality or dont. Build quality is something that these cars have problems with and volkswagen knows about it so 95% of the things that are going to go wrong do so under warranty and its not a problem. The car is a blast to drive although the 180hp engines in the newer cars would have been nice to have there are times when I feel underpowered. The clutch on all volkswagens lets out(grabs/catches) extremely high which is another thing that I am not too fond of. The suspension and chassis are awsome the car handles extremely well.

2001 VW Garbage
By Kalacokid

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had nothing but problems ever since I purchased this vehicle new. The anti-lock brake motor went out within three monthe, the mass air flow sensor has had to be replaced three times, the timing belt broke taking the head and valves along with it. The dealer fixed at a cost of $2700.00 and within 20,000 miles something else has broken and the way it acts it seems to be in the valve train again. Interior latches on glove box and center console have broken and the CD player play only when it wants to. I'm not hard on cars at all as my last two GM vehicles had 259000 and 242000 miles sold. These problems are unacceptable.

• SUV