2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
hsssssssssss
By lovin the vdub on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love the car. Upset that the 2001 has only 155 hp and the 2002 has 185, but these things can be fixed. Easy to work with and one of the best manual cars I have driven. I put about 20,000 miles on my car a year for work and I have never been uncomfortable for a second. Nothing like the feeling of driving in 6 inches of snow and not having to worry about the ABS or traction control not working. I was passing most of the all wheel drive vehicles.

Very Unreliable for a VW
By psykosonik on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just to let buyers know there are several issues to be aware of before purchasing a new or used 2000-2001 VW Jetta. They are very prone to issues. First off, I bought my car new in Aug 2000, it is a 2001 VW Jetta. In less than 2 years have had an Oxygen Sensor recall, both Driver and Passanger Window regulators have broke, resulting in the windows falling inside the doors, the electrical wiring has had to be rewired, the Brake Switch broke and needed replacing, and the interior plastic is already peeling. I have owned VW's in the past and am just beside myself at the poor quality of this car!!

Tough to Beat!
By rsbible on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased “our” Jetta for my wife a little over a year ago. At first I was a little concerned about the sticker price (in comparison to other models in the same class) but the fuel economy was the kicker. After a little over a year I find myself running errands just so I have an excuse to drive it. The performance is outstanding and the mileage just can’t be beat. All I can say is… sharp, fun to drive, and well built! I am sold on VW!!

Unreliable but fun and sexy
By mrein on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun to drive, sophisticated in exterior styling, very responsive and quick acceleration. BUT I've been stranded on a dark road at night one time by an indeterminate electrical problem; limped home on a very hot day with my elderly parents along (needed a NEW transmission that time); had the ignition coils replaced within 500 miles of going out of warrenty (the dealer didn't charge); and now the trouble light is on again.

Rattles!!!
By mth on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't stop all the rattles! The instrument panel is the worst followed closely by the drivers door and then the rear door tweeter mounts. Now the A/C control backlight has burnt out. 8 months and instrumentlights are burning out? AND the dealer said that the vibration I feel on the highway during acceleration is an inner CV joint starting to fail! I traded a 7yr old BMW with less issues than this car. If you want an aftermarket stereo, don't get the Monsoon! And if you decide you want to pull out your radio, be prepared to go to the dealer to reset your alarm. Too many issues, for such a new car, especially for the price. Too bad I am so upside down or it would be GONE!

One of the best cars for under $25k
By 55bc on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Let me start by saying, everyone should stop comparing this to the BMW 3 series. It's more appropriate to compare the sister car, the A4 to the BMW. Compare the Jetta to the Acura Integra, but not cars priced about $10k more! Although, the fact that people compare the two says a great deal about the car. The car handles great, it's got plenty of power, it was reasonably priced especially considering all the features the car has. I've put a lot of mileage on the car in the first year and had no problems.

Economy, Performance, and Style
By Lanark on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I absolutely love my TDI. It took a while to find one with a 5 speed, but it was worth the hunting. I can't believe this kind of pick-up from a standstill on a diesel. And naturally, unless you're in the market for a hybrid, you can't beat the mileage. Plus, even though the car is (comparatively) low-priced as far as German sedans go, it seems to be an eye- catcher, not to mention that there almost seems to be a TDI clique/club/cult? Comfortable and stylish interior for two adults (don't plan any road trips for four 6-footers) Only real complaint is: why doesn't VW give up on the dial knob for seatback adjustment that they've been using ever since the (original) Beetle?

Great car but still needs work
By jettanut on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall quite happy with the car comfort and handling super especially tight corners and turns the turbo makes it all worth driving and gas mileage is pretty good 600+ kms highway driving / tank bad things so far all four doors sqeak and required constant lubrication also striker pin adjusted weekly on front drivers door (creaks when car moving under 20 km/h)

If I knew
By siren78 on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car in general, but I would strongly advised you of some major problems. Take the leather interior, the black material seats will leave you spending hours a week tring to remove the dust that will accumulate on it, and it is extremely hard to remove. Also pay the extra for the 1.8 liter or TDI or even better VR6 cause the regular model is slow, slow slow!!! You will be disapointed it has no power. If I would have to do it all over I would much rather spend that money or less on other models, like acura or nissan ... But the comfort, the cheap fuel and the style still makes it worht buying!

Lively but an extra $5k gets a 325ci
By Swiz on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Great, sporty, practical car. I have a black/black leather 5spd and I must say it looks sharp. The woodgrain interior moldings and blue tachs make you feel your in a much more expensive auto. This car is quick but I find that the front wheel drive offers too much torque steer. There are times when I have to fight to keep the car in straight line. I've driven it 27k in less than a year w/o a single problem. I bought this because I didn't have the money for a BMW at the time. Even thought it is a great riding car I wish I would have waited because the BMW offers so much more performance-wise over the VW.