Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

RUN AWAY!!!
By deandeandean

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This was one of the best cars I'd ever bought, until the ENGINE SEIZED UP flying down the interstate @ 80+. It seems the dealership FORGOT to put the drain plug back in after an oil change. After THREE WEEKS in a rental GEO Metro, the dealership returns the jetta to me with a "new" engine that BLEW UP less than a month later. Mind you, the car had just under 19,000 miles! I took the car to another VW dealer (you have to so the warranty pays) and they replaced the engine AGAIN! At 23,368 miles, this "new" one DIED. Dead. No note, no clues, just graveyard dead. When the dealership picked up the car, I gave them the keys, too.

Interior lights are unusual. Nice.

Set it on fire and let the insurance pay it off. I will NEVER have any dealings with VW again.

Like it or leave it!
By ry1987

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I find that most people have a like it or leave it attitude with jettas, they either like the styling or dont. Like the build quality or dont. Build quality is something that these cars have problems with and volkswagen knows about it so 95% of the things that are going to go wrong do so under warranty and its not a problem. The car is a blast to drive although the 180hp engines in the newer cars would have been nice to have there are times when I feel underpowered. The clutch on all volkswagens lets out(grabs/catches) extremely high which is another thing that I am not too fond of. The suspension and chassis are awsome the car handles extremely well.

2001 VW Garbage
By Kalacokid

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had nothing but problems ever since I purchased this vehicle new. The anti-lock brake motor went out within three monthe, the mass air flow sensor has had to be replaced three times, the timing belt broke taking the head and valves along with it. The dealer fixed at a cost of $2700.00 and within 20,000 miles something else has broken and the way it acts it seems to be in the valve train again. Interior latches on glove box and center console have broken and the CD player play only when it wants to. I'm not hard on cars at all as my last two GM vehicles had 259000 and 242000 miles sold. These problems are unacceptable.

Jetta GL
By hilarie29

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is fun car to drive. My only issues have been with the O2 sensor (replaced twice) and the front bumper pulling off from parking over a sidewalk or curb (an expensive lesson that has taken me 3 times to learn). Its a reliable car but the automatic isn't as quick and peppy.

The cupholders and the key

change the recline dial on the seats to a lever. A make it easier to get under the seats, if you drop something, good luck trying to reach it.

Avoid it...or pay...
By evilveedub

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second VW Jetta. Traded my 98 Jetta GT. In fact, I've never owned any other car but a VW! I love this car, but...nothing but problems. Here's the "brief" list: 335 miles - dash rattles, door rattles. 2,400 - glove box light 24,301 - dash lights 26,250 - both front window regulators 32,000 - two wheel bearings 36,506 - brake light switch and coil pack. 42,000 - BBS wheels pitted. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE IN MEXICO. This is a car I have babied since day one! I called vw to complain, and they could care less. NEVER AGAIN VW...NEVER! Hello Honda Accord.

European styling. Seats and wheels. Stereo.

End Mexican production. Quality control would be a nice thought. Customer service. BOTTOM LINE: You couldn't do any worse than VW...