2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
My best buy ever
By Springbok on 08/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have owned VW's for the past 20 years. This latest Jetta TDi has been my best buy ever. VW have excelled with this model. Fuel consumption has exceeded VW claim. I get 45-49 mpg around town and 51-52 mpg on the highway.

Awesome Car
By smitpat on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome car! Although I've driven a lot of cars, this is the first that I've owned, and I'm thrilled. Great pickup at lower speeds, tight handling, and really good-looking.

It is so much fun
By heclinder on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had more powerful and bigger cars but none that are more fun. Last summer, I traded in my 1998 Maxima SE for a Jetta, Wolfsburg edition. It was a great decision. The drive of the Jetta is so responsive, tight and perky. My favorite car previous to this one was my 1998 Jetta. This has many more creature comforts but what a car and what a drive!

Best for the price
By jetta on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What other car gets you turbo power, 16 inch alloys, sport suspension, 6 airbags, 3 spoke wheel, a 5 speed, ABS, traction control, sport seats for under 20K new? Unreal!

Fun, Not Perfect
By NotABimmer on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My '01 Wolfie has also experienced problems with squeeks and rattles pretty much from day one. Dealer tried, couldn't fix'em. Oddly enough, they have slowly gone away now. With 15000 hard miles the car seems to be getting better. Engine runs strong,tranny nice and tight, suspension still tight, but not harsh. The remote trunk release failed at 10000, but the dealer fixed it under warranty. No other problems to report. Basically, a really fun car, but still has the "econo-box" feel. It is not an expensive car, and it should not be expected to make you feel like it is. It doesn't. Only thing in common with my BMW is white paint.

My service manager knows me by name
By CRABBY VW MAN on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

5 hrs.after pick up from dealer, sunroof motor quit. 1 month later strange creaking/groaning noise from front end Dealer found that "something" was missing in right strut Check engine light comes on at 11 months followed by speedo going nuts List is too long on "items" replaced by dealer. 1 month later, same issue again, This time, different items replaced, told that this will correct the issue. 7 days after picking up the car, my favorite light comes on again " check engine" Just dropped off the car today the service manager....tells me it is one of the oxygen sensors. This is my 6th Volkswagen, and my last.

white wolf
By whitewolf on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this is my first vee dub. love the german feel. i find myself driving with the windows down so i can listen to the turbo whistle. love the 1 touch windows and sunroof. the monsoon rocks. sounds better and louder then bose stereos ive heard and it was only a couple hundred upgrade. lots fo features for money. the whole wolfsburg package is great with the bbs wheels, sport seats, leather wheel and shifter. i dressed mine up with a spoiler, mud guards, tinted side marker and vw. chrome exhaust tips. in side i have the new vw aluminum dash kit. it personalizes it. i havent seen another white one in a year. after my lease is up ill buy another one

The Bumper!
By left on the curb on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The bumper keeps getting stuck on curbs. I back out, the bumper doesn't. It's plastic, and the screws just tear right out. Dealership doesn't cover it. Annoying! But love it otherwise...

Fun Card
By Sebastian on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think that the new Jetta is a great car. It is a bit smaller than what i thought, and it is right now being one of the down sides, at least for me. But besides that, i believe it is a great car!

Love it love it loveit
By Lori H on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It look great, it runs great and it gets great gas mileage!! I love it so much more than the malibu I was driving!