2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Car for the Price
By Trykeman

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after my last lease (99 Z24 Cavalier) expired. I have driven tonns of cars in the past and really researched the market before I bought this car. Drives and performs like a dream and so far (knock on the wood) "Kein Problem!". Highly recommended for anyone looking for serious value for the money.

Favorite Features

1.8 L Turbo (180 hp), handling, brakes, fit and finish, design, quality of craftsmanship on all parts. Great VW customer service.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder!!! When it comes out you lose control on your stereo! That's the only flaw.

My best buy ever
By Springbok

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have owned VW's for the past 20 years. This latest Jetta TDi has been my best buy ever. VW have excelled with this model. Fuel consumption has exceeded VW claim. I get 45-49 mpg around town and 51-52 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

Simplicity of the design.

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of.

Awesome Car
By smitpat

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome car! Although I've driven a lot of cars, this is the first that I've owned, and I'm thrilled. Great pickup at lower speeds, tight handling, and really good-looking.

Favorite Features

Engine power (turbo), looks, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out how to get more room in the back seat. Don't put anyone taller than 5'6". Their knees will be cut off.

It is so much fun
By heclinder

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had more powerful and bigger cars but none that are more fun. Last summer, I traded in my 1998 Maxima SE for a Jetta, Wolfsburg edition. It was a great decision. The drive of the Jetta is so responsive, tight and perky. My favorite car previous to this one was my 1998 Jetta. This has many more creature comforts but what a car and what a drive!

Favorite Features

The suspension and steering are great. These combined with the four cylinder Turbo 1.8 makes this a pocket rocket. The seats are comfortable for short or long drives. This Jetta is just the right combination of features and I love the total package.

Suggested Improvements

The interior material and carpet and the upscale sound system.

Best for the price
By jetta

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What other car gets you turbo power, 16 inch alloys, sport suspension, 6 airbags, 3 spoke wheel, a 5 speed, ABS, traction control, sport seats for under 20K new? Unreal!

Fun, Not Perfect
By NotABimmer

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My '01 Wolfie has also experienced problems with squeeks and rattles pretty much from day one. Dealer tried, couldn't fix'em. Oddly enough, they have slowly gone away now. With 15000 hard miles the car seems to be getting better. Engine runs strong,tranny nice and tight, suspension still tight, but not harsh. The remote trunk release failed at 10000, but the dealer fixed it under warranty. No other problems to report. Basically, a really fun car, but still has the "econo-box" feel. It is not an expensive car, and it should not be expected to make you feel like it is. It doesn't. Only thing in common with my BMW is white paint.

Favorite Features

That sweet turbo hiss! Sport steering wheel feels great. Nice 16" BBS wheels. Likes to be thrown around. Cool blue/red instrument lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights. Nicer looking tailpipes! Lower riding sport seats. Better cupholder design. More substantial feeling.

My service manager knows me by name
By CRABBY VW MAN

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

5 hrs.after pick up from dealer, sunroof motor quit. 1 month later strange creaking/groaning noise from front end Dealer found that "something" was missing in right strut Check engine light comes on at 11 months followed by speedo going nuts List is too long on "items" replaced by dealer. 1 month later, same issue again, This time, different items replaced, told that this will correct the issue. 7 days after picking up the car, my favorite light comes on again " check engine" Just dropped off the car today the service manager....tells me it is one of the oxygen sensors. This is my 6th Volkswagen, and my last.

Favorite Features

Great suspension/engine

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY NEED TO IMPROVE 100%

white wolf
By whitewolf

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this is my first vee dub. love the german feel. i find myself driving with the windows down so i can listen to the turbo whistle. love the 1 touch windows and sunroof. the monsoon rocks. sounds better and louder then bose stereos ive heard and it was only a couple hundred upgrade. lots fo features for money. the whole wolfsburg package is great with the bbs wheels, sport seats, leather wheel and shifter. i dressed mine up with a spoiler, mud guards, tinted side marker and vw. chrome exhaust tips. in side i have the new vw aluminum dash kit. it personalizes it. i havent seen another white one in a year. after my lease is up ill buy another one

Favorite Features

power, stereo, german feel, blue dash board.

Suggested Improvements

tighten up the handling.

Fun Card
By Sebastian

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think that the new Jetta is a great car. It is a bit smaller than what i thought, and it is right now being one of the down sides, at least for me. But besides that, i believe it is a great car!

Favorite Features

The light color of the pannel

Suggested Improvements

get a new cloth, because everything sticks to that one and it looks pretty bad!

The Bumper!
By left on the curb

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The bumper keeps getting stuck on curbs. I back out, the bumper doesn't. It's plastic, and the screws just tear right out. Dealership doesn't cover it. Annoying! But love it otherwise...