Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2001 VW Jetta GLX
By Hairleftmorningwet

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I Bought this car from an induvidual for 13K , with 47,000 miles on it . The car was in outstanding condition . Having heard the horror stories of reliability , I purchased a 4 year Extended Warrenty with unlimited miles. After six months I've not had any troubles what so ever . The cup holders do block the CD player ,the break pedal sits just a hair to high , and on uneven roads the dash around the cupholder rattle the slightest bit . The car is a blast to drive , and the interior is beautiful . The inerior is on par with the Audi's and BMW's I've seen . The Leather Seats are beautiful . Braking is great. I get 24\25 MPG on the hwy , and 19\21 in down , thats with correct tire pressure .

Heated seats , the blue and red dash lights , Sunroof , the cool VW Key , Sound system , Handeling ,Rainsense wipers , Full size spare tire , ASR , trunk size , Safety , he leather ,the Cup holders block the Cd player , but they are cool to show ppl :-P

Find a Better spot for the cup holders . Move the brake pedal down a hair. My advice to anyone who is buying a car , get an extended warrenty from a Private company . For a little over 1,000 $ I got a 4 year warr. that cover EVERYTHING but ths sunroof motor and covers $65P\h labor .

2001 Jetta TDI (TurboDiesel)
By Jetta Owner8

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Car is incredibly comfortable, & feels solid.My first'nice' car,I bought it used & put 20k miles annually on it commuting to work.The biggest drawback(only drawback) is NO ONE with any experience works on TurboDiesels in the WV area...& turbodiesels(be they VW or otherwise) are very special little beasts,&require attention. My routine timing belt change was a fiasco (along with virtually every TDI owner who has is done),& the Ntake is constantly clogging with diesel soot(there's a way to stop it, but it's not too envirofriendly).It's an incredibly nice car,&gets great mileage (45mpg pre- timing belt change),&it is much snappier than the 90HP rating shows.

Great mileage, nice interior, ability to use alternative enviro-friendly fuels like soy-diesel.

Train techs better on TDI's at VW, and fix the car so loss of power due to 'clogging with diesel carbon buildup' isn't an accepted problem.

Please just get me home
By collegefool

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Car ran great off the lot, then noticed a lot of engine vibration 2 months later. Turned out to need new cams and lifters (all covered by warranty) Replaced mass airflow sensor 3 mo. mark and window clips as well, all covered by warranty. Acceleration is great, shifting is sluggish and spongie. Great interior layout but seats are uncomfortable. I enjoy the car it's just been a pain to take it in so much when i've only had it a half of a year. It seems odd to replace the lifters and cams at 35,000 miles....

interior styling, programable seats w/ remote memory too, 17" rims, responsive steering

fix the mass airflow sensor issue, better clutch and transmission, squeaks a whole lot, too much road noise

Nice Car
By Lapdog

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

In Returning from Europe I was searching for a new dependable fuel saving small car. First choice was the 80 MPG VW Lupo, not available in the US! Not many choices to choose from in the U.S. when it comes to fuel saving cars. I looked at cheaper makes, bragging in their adverts of getting 30 MPG. I donít consider this very good for a 4 cyl. I settled for the Jetta TDI. This is a nice car I still avg 48 MPG. Hwy 65 MPH its around 55 MPG. I have had 3 problems; 1st the pass. window came un attached. 2nd & 3rd the Turbo and Mass air flow had to be replaced. All fixed by warrenty. Current 70000 mi.

Besides the MPG, Blue lights on the main instrument panel, they are very easy on the eyes. Plenty of "Go" power. On the Hwy no up & down shifting as in gas-powered cars, 5th gear is fine. Trunk room, wow! both back seats down its a flat surface up to the back of the front seats

Lower Maintenance costs. $600.00 for the timing belt every 60K mi! Better A/C, cant keep up in the sun. Get rid of the rubberish coating on the interior panels it peels off and looks bad it is not at all durable

Volkswagen Service is HORRIBLE!
By Siv

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my 1st brand new car and VW has ruined it for me. Although the Jetta appears to be a great car, the service is horrible. I've had a lot of problems with this car. Most recent is my car stalls out of nowhere. I'm driving & all of a sudden it comes to a complete stop & my engine light & EPC light come on. I've taken it to VW 4 times & they cannot figure it out. The worst part is that they are very rude & nasty about it. I have been to 3 different dealershipS in the NY area & have had NO LUCK. Do not go to New Country VW in Greenwich CT, Mayer VW in Larchmont NY or CityLine VW in Bronx NY.

SERVICE