2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car
By Jonathan Edge on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Only probloem ive had is with the dealership and some reliability issues. Other then that this is the best car ive ever driven! I havent test drove that BMW yet but it beats out anything in its price range. The quality of materials and build quality stand up against anything out thier. Plus the innovative feature and the creature comforts that no one knows about or notices untill you own the car are fantastick.

Little annoyances of the Wolfsburg...
By lr on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

1.8T and sport suspension is great. Fun to drive, but not much more. The car gets serviced every other month for annoying problems. The passenger and driver windows have been fixed twice, sun roof broke, in hot weather sticky gue leaks out of doors, interior lights don't work right, passenger door doesn't close right, I could go on...

Save Your Money
By JettaNoWay on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 with every option. After 8,000 miles had to get new transmission. Next problem the lights, I have replaced every bulb in the car all before a year was up. The newest problem turn signal relay went out. I have heard of problems with the electrical and windows falling down and with the latest problems I expect for those things to occur next. Overall this car is a joke. Interior is made for short people only, very uncomfortable seats after any lengthy ride. Leather interior is already changing color and deteriorating and the "clear coat" is already coming off.

Great idea not realized
By Bitter Sweet on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The excitment of owning my Jetta was short lived. In the 1.5 years that I've owned my Jetta it has blown 2 fuses, the secondary air pump has gone out on it, the window brackets have broken 4 times and the windows have fallen inside the doors, the soft finish on the door handles and console inside the car have peeled off, the antenna had to be replaced, I had a braking malfunction, the sunroof wasn't working properly, the rear brakes went out within 24000 miles, electrical problems causing the brake lights not to work, sputtering upon starting the car, rough power surges while accelerating, and the interior shows every stain and picks up everything.

German - engineering, Mexican assembly
By GregN on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After having three Hondas in a route, it was time for a change. And Jetta seemed to be a best bang for a buck, how stiupid I was!! This car is a disaster, windows constantly falling in, gas tank leaking, engingne light coming on and off. I have never had these kind of problems with any vehicle!! I wont even compare this vehicle to Honda because this would be insulting for any Honda out there. I had CRX with 210,000 miles that was far more reliable than Jetta with 55,000. Save yourself a pain dont even look at this vehicle - I know it looks great and handles good, but if you're looking for a good looking RELIABLE commuter this isnt it.

Review of 2001 Jetta Wagon
By gbuccolo on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta wagon looks great, is fun to drive, and can haul a lot of stuff...but it is not reliable. It has spent 30 days in the shop in one year. The problems have been sensor malfunctions, failed switches (casuing the car to be unable to switch out of park), and transmission problems (causing 4th gear to fail and the other gears to malfunction). VW dealer and customer service has been terrible. I have serviced the vehicle at TransOcean VW in Pasadena. I would not reccomend them. In additional to the mechanical problems, they dented the car.

Don't let this happen to you.
By JNB on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

To get straight to the point the Jetta Wolfsburg is a car to be avoided. I have had it since new and most of the time it exhibits a mind of it's own. I wait until there is nothing in sight before pulling out because I never know if I'm going to get the peppy little car or the die as you accelerate car. The ASR control feels like it's going to rip the drivetrain apart when it engages on damp pavement. But VW says to speak to the dealer, the dealer says it fine. If it's doing what it should be then VW needs to go back to the drawing board. What do you get when you cross a wonderful interior with bargain bin mechanicals? The VW Jetta Wolfsburg.

Excellent compact car
By jbk70 on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after driving Hondas for 10 years. It's been a great experience so far -- can schlepp a lot considering its compact size! Couldn't be happier would recommend to anyone.

none
By Sparky1 on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We purchased our Jetta in July of last year. It's nice to finally have a quality built vehicle compared to GM products.

Best Car for the Price
By Trykeman on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after my last lease (99 Z24 Cavalier) expired. I have driven tonns of cars in the past and really researched the market before I bought this car. Drives and performs like a dream and so far (knock on the wood) "Kein Problem!". Highly recommended for anyone looking for serious value for the money.