Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Keep a case of oil in the trunk
By Jetta Oil Burner

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Jetta, despite all the problems. It rides and drives like a much more expensive German car. My friend has an Audi and I fell I got the same car for thousands less.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride. Great mileage. Sleek appearance. I will probably look at another VW

Suggested Improvements

Uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles. VW says this is "normal." The electrical system "fried" itself; the passenger side window fell out on I- 285 during rush hour; the catalytic converter has failed at 66,000 miles; the interior likes to "pill" and attacts EVERYTHING.

my jetta
By karmann21

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I love my jetta!! this is one solid and reliable car! I will never go back to any domestic brands. they have great service. never had any problems. the engine is powerfull and fun. I deffintly recomend this car!

Favorite Features

the detail in the way this car was built.

Suggested Improvements

none that I can think of.

Fun car so far
By bee1000e

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Driving my Jetta has been great-the engine is wonderfully responsive, especially in 2nd & 3rd gears. Powerful enough to have fun, not so powerful that I get into trouble. The interior is of great quality, but the ergonomics aren't great - stereo and HVAC controls are a stretch. Seat could be more supportive. Dealer has never been able to completely fix a passenger side window glitch.

Favorite Features

BBS wheels, lovely stereo, lively acceleration and handling, tan/black interior.

Suggested Improvements

Smooth 1-2 shifts are impossible for me. Too many recalls (4 in 2.5 yrs). Goopy glue leaks out of doors after rain. Styling could be more distinctive. Memory setting for power mirrors.

Take the service contract
By willdineen

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It must depend on where and on what day your jetta gets built. I see that some of the reviewers think this is a good car. Well ours isn't. It get very poor gas mileage for a 4 cyl car. We have already had the tires replaced at 40,000 mi. and the brakes had to be replaced at 27,000 mi. The plastic section below the grill has come off twice. The car is noisy and has no power. It does look nice.

Favorite Features

Appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Put some money into the handling and noise reduction and use better quality parts. This car is all marketing (show) and no substance.Avoid it.

Lemon
By Cindy Dustin

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Too many hours spent in the shop to repair/replace electrical problems, check engine light problems, oxygen sensor and brake sensor problems.