2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
German - engineering, Mexican assembly
By GregN on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After having three Hondas in a route, it was time for a change. And Jetta seemed to be a best bang for a buck, how stiupid I was!! This car is a disaster, windows constantly falling in, gas tank leaking, engingne light coming on and off. I have never had these kind of problems with any vehicle!! I wont even compare this vehicle to Honda because this would be insulting for any Honda out there. I had CRX with 210,000 miles that was far more reliable than Jetta with 55,000. Save yourself a pain dont even look at this vehicle - I know it looks great and handles good, but if you're looking for a good looking RELIABLE commuter this isnt it.

Don't let this happen to you.
By JNB on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

To get straight to the point the Jetta Wolfsburg is a car to be avoided. I have had it since new and most of the time it exhibits a mind of it's own. I wait until there is nothing in sight before pulling out because I never know if I'm going to get the peppy little car or the die as you accelerate car. The ASR control feels like it's going to rip the drivetrain apart when it engages on damp pavement. But VW says to speak to the dealer, the dealer says it fine. If it's doing what it should be then VW needs to go back to the drawing board. What do you get when you cross a wonderful interior with bargain bin mechanicals? The VW Jetta Wolfsburg.

Excellent compact car
By jbk70 on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought this car after driving Hondas for 10 years. It's been a great experience so far -- can schlepp a lot considering its compact size! Couldn't be happier would recommend to anyone.

none
By Sparky1 on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

We purchased our Jetta in July of last year. It's nice to finally have a quality built vehicle compared to GM products.

Best Car for the Price
By Trykeman on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after my last lease (99 Z24 Cavalier) expired. I have driven tonns of cars in the past and really researched the market before I bought this car. Drives and performs like a dream and so far (knock on the wood) "Kein Problem!". Highly recommended for anyone looking for serious value for the money.

Awesome Car
By smitpat on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Awesome car! Although I've driven a lot of cars, this is the first that I've owned, and I'm thrilled. Great pickup at lower speeds, tight handling, and really good-looking.

It is so much fun
By heclinder on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have had more powerful and bigger cars but none that are more fun. Last summer, I traded in my 1998 Maxima SE for a Jetta, Wolfsburg edition. It was a great decision. The drive of the Jetta is so responsive, tight and perky. My favorite car previous to this one was my 1998 Jetta. This has many more creature comforts but what a car and what a drive!

Best for the price
By jetta on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

What other car gets you turbo power, 16 inch alloys, sport suspension, 6 airbags, 3 spoke wheel, a 5 speed, ABS, traction control, sport seats for under 20K new? Unreal!

Fun, Not Perfect
By NotABimmer on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

My '01 Wolfie has also experienced problems with squeeks and rattles pretty much from day one. Dealer tried, couldn't fix'em. Oddly enough, they have slowly gone away now. With 15000 hard miles the car seems to be getting better. Engine runs strong,tranny nice and tight, suspension still tight, but not harsh. The remote trunk release failed at 10000, but the dealer fixed it under warranty. No other problems to report. Basically, a really fun car, but still has the "econo-box" feel. It is not an expensive car, and it should not be expected to make you feel like it is. It doesn't. Only thing in common with my BMW is white paint.

My service manager knows me by name
By CRABBY VW MAN on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

5 hrs.after pick up from dealer, sunroof motor quit. 1 month later strange creaking/groaning noise from front end Dealer found that "something" was missing in right strut Check engine light comes on at 11 months followed by speedo going nuts List is too long on "items" replaced by dealer. 1 month later, same issue again, This time, different items replaced, told that this will correct the issue. 7 days after picking up the car, my favorite light comes on again " check engine" Just dropped off the car today the service manager....tells me it is one of the oxygen sensors. This is my 6th Volkswagen, and my last.