Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Like it or leave it!
By ry1987

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I find that most people have a like it or leave it attitude with jettas, they either like the styling or dont. Like the build quality or dont. Build quality is something that these cars have problems with and volkswagen knows about it so 95% of the things that are going to go wrong do so under warranty and its not a problem. The car is a blast to drive although the 180hp engines in the newer cars would have been nice to have there are times when I feel underpowered. The clutch on all volkswagens lets out(grabs/catches) extremely high which is another thing that I am not too fond of. The suspension and chassis are awsome the car handles extremely well.

Jetta GL
By hilarie29

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is fun car to drive. My only issues have been with the O2 sensor (replaced twice) and the front bumper pulling off from parking over a sidewalk or curb (an expensive lesson that has taken me 3 times to learn). Its a reliable car but the automatic isn't as quick and peppy.

Favorite Features

The cupholders and the key

Suggested Improvements

change the recline dial on the seats to a lever. A make it easier to get under the seats, if you drop something, good luck trying to reach it.

Avoid it...or pay...
By evilveedub

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second VW Jetta. Traded my 98 Jetta GT. In fact, I've never owned any other car but a VW! I love this car, but...nothing but problems. Here's the "brief" list: 335 miles - dash rattles, door rattles. 2,400 - glove box light 24,301 - dash lights 26,250 - both front window regulators 32,000 - two wheel bearings 36,506 - brake light switch and coil pack. 42,000 - BBS wheels pitted. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE IN MEXICO. This is a car I have babied since day one! I called vw to complain, and they could care less. NEVER AGAIN VW...NEVER! Hello Honda Accord.

Favorite Features

European styling. Seats and wheels. Stereo.

Suggested Improvements

End Mexican production. Quality control would be a nice thought. Customer service. BOTTOM LINE: You couldn't do any worse than VW...

What's happened to VW?
By cmenomorevw

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 1.8Turbo is a blast to drive, but it has been a horror to own. I've had major mechanical issues (ie engine mounts falling off) that many feel should have been warranty items. Unfortunately, VW customer service was not among this group. Even though I've been a VW owner for 12 years, and my family has been loyal to the brand for over 25 years, I'm going to be selling asap to escape this dismal reliability and customer service.

Favorite Features

1.8 turbo engine, heated seats, cockpit layout

Suggested Improvements

VW must address their build quality + warranty issues, and their customer service response to these problems. They seem to be really going down hill. With customer service, it is nearly impossible to talk with someone who can take action.

Too Many Problems!!!
By ransomdoll

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't recommend anyone to buy this car.The first week I had the car, my window fell!!! I've been back for that same problem 4 more times since. I've also had a brake sensor malfunction, so I couldn't get my car off of park and had to get it towed to the dealership. I've had to replace the airconditioning module and fan and now have to replace the control module for the car. The inside is also peeling, the armrest broke and the seats collect fuzz like crazy. It's not worth it!! Save yourself the trouble. A 2001 model is still rather new to be having all these freaken problems.

Favorite Features

The way it drives, the interior lighting and my sunroof!

Suggested Improvements

Everything!!!