Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Great German Wagon
By robpsdhs

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car replaced a 2000 Beetle (I loved the Beetle but needed more useful cargo space). It has very few negatives: its mileage isn't great. I've used regular gas for three years. The mpg actually improved from when I used super. It has no knocks or pings. I had a problem with the coolant system when I moved to the desert. The coolant evaporates in this intense heat. Now, the positives: the car is great. Its handling after six years is still crisp and responsive. Its fit / finish are excellent. Even using regular gas the acceleration is excellent. I also have a '04 Mustang Convertible. My Jetta wagon is so much more fun to drive. I love this car.

Favorite Features

The heated seats, up/down power windows for both driver/passenger (std. on all 4 windows now?), the red/blue dash lighting is great, and door panel buttons are lit. I like the auto dimming mirror and the stereo controls on steering wheel. The power seats and the Monsoon sound system are excellent. It has running lamps for safety.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is a dumb design, when in use, it's impossible to access the stereo controls. The cargo compartment placement for the CD holder is cumbersome. It needs to be dash mounted (maybe it is now). It should get better gas mileage, I get only 20-22 mpg, but it's probably all the power stuff.

Still like to drive it after 11 years
By fixit58

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi. Averaging 31 mpg. Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack. Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph. Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel. Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only). Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it. Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.

Favorite Features

Reliable drive train, no breakdowns, most expensive maintenance/repair was timing belt & water pump replacement, great versatility with interior space, good ergonomics and long-distance comfort, nice sounding stereo. I still like my ride and haven't been able to make up my mind for spending $30k for a new car when this one is meeting my needs, is still fun to drive, and costs me little to keep on the road compared to depreciation on a new car.

Suggested Improvements

Had needed 6th gear, unacceptable oil consumption, 115 bhp is the king of underpowered (although the manual tranny makes it a bit more peppy than you expect).

The Best
By jvfan

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This wagon is simple the best when it come to german engineering and is the perfect sub for those who are not wanting to buy a mini van.

Favorite Features

Sporty throughout, both interior and exterior

Suggested Improvements

The folks at volks have nailed this one and the ownly improvments would be more trim package choices

Love and hateful relationship
By schrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got my Jetta in 2011, and it did good for a while but in a year it started having over heating problems. I loved driving it but then in 2013 the coil pack went out, so I just parked it in our yard and drove my 95 Nissan XE. Finally in 2015, I put a new coil pack in it and drove it to the mountains, on my way back the tire blew out and destroyed the front left side Love it and hated it at the same time

Favorite Features

5 speed Dash lights

Suggested Improvements

Engine Transmission Get rid of the crayon smell Get rid of the cheap plastic

Wow!
By Brian

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a tight handling little car. No rattles going over bumps and very quiet at 70 mph. I love the room the car has especially with the rear seats folded. Totally reliabe with gas mpg that rivaled my old Neon. I'm getting around 27 mpg in town! What a cheap car to own. I've only had it for a month, but I can already say it is the best car I have ever owned. I am now a VW snob for the rest of my life!

Favorite Features

Heated seats in a cloth interior and the Monsoon system isn't bad either. Also, I have to say my local dealer in Vallejo is the best one I have ever been to. They are so kind and attenetive to my needs. They treat me like a human.

Suggested Improvements

My doors seem to stick after I unlock them. That's rather annoying. I would also like to have somewhere to put the rear headrests when I fold down the seats. I'm putting them on the floor behind the front seats now and it isn't convienient. I don't mind the cupholders. I think they work fine.