Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

awesome car
By dbanda51

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this is my 2nd vw. i had a 99.5 jetta 2.0 as my 1st car and loved it except for it was to slow.great on gas though. i later got a bmw 323i and kind of liked it but not as much as the jetta so i got rid of it. and finally found the 01 jetta Wolfsburg. it had everything i needed, 5 speed, sport seats, turbo, 4cyl (for great mpg).i have owned it for about a year and a half.has never let me down.previous owner kept everything tight and said he never got check engine light, as of today i haven't either. i have also added coilovers, APR tune (making 215hp!), forge dv valve (makes the psshh sound), 17' rims, and a Nav system, i have put about 20k miles on it without a prob. this car is awesome!!!

Favorite Features

Sport seats, turbo, sport suspension (it was fine but i wanted low so i got coilovers), speakers are better then most cars, 5 speed is awesome wish it had 6 speeds though,

Suggested Improvements

get coilovers!, the jetta is way to high!. once lowerd it looks twice as good!, get an APR chip tune it will take you up to 215hp!! get a diff diverter valve to make the turbo sound cool!, and if your rims start to peel get new ones otherwise your good.

Satisfied and Secure Jetta Owner
By nywvblue

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car from its original owner, a retired couple, with 75,000 miles on it and at 6 years old. It had some strange wear in the interior (the arm rests on the doors in the front were half peeled away), but otherwise it was in perfect condition. It lived with me in NYC for the next 2+ years and, aside from a nagging CEL situation due to the MAF sensor failing every 8 months or so as well the mechanism in one side window suddenly failing, it has been a super, reliable car.

Favorite Features

The fold-down rear seats are a brilliant design feature and have come in handy too many times to count! The heated car seats are superb (especially appreciated since moving to the country's snowiest city). The sun roof makes it feel like a convertible on nice days. Excellent speaker system, good radio. I like that the car's chassis feels very well-built and solid -- in rough weather, I have never worried for the soundness of the car itself.

Suggested Improvements

The car's pickup feels challenged at times (a chronic rough shift between 2nd and 3rd) but handles highway driving beautifully. The faulty MAF sensor issue is, I'm told, somewhat typical of Jettas -- I'm proud to say that I've learned to change mine myself and have done so a half dozen times by now, saving myself a ton of money! The seats are a little uncomfortable on long trips. The rear bumper is inefficient and cannot handle much (so I attached rubber strips which saved it from further scrapes).

165,000 miles strong
By pendii

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I got this car certified used in 2005. It had 60,000 miles on it at the time and was still in great shape. It's been 7 years and we've put an additional 100,000 miles on it. It's still going strong! It's a very comfortable car and very fun to drive. Sunroof and heated seats are great. The only thing you have to know before you buy a VW is they are more expensive to repair and maintain because they require special tools. Some mechanics have even refused to work on my car, saying they don't do VWs. The car is showing it's age a bit now. It does eat oil in its latter years. As long as we keep oil full, the engine's still great.

Favorite Features

Love the way the car looks inside and out. Fun to drive. Was very powerful in its younger days. A little slower now, but still holds its own. Pretty good gas efficiency. About 30 mpg is what we get.

Suggested Improvements

More affordable to repair and upkeep would be a good change. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything really.

Not really worth it.
By bj789

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned my Jetta for almost 3 years. It was initially fun, but as I put miles on the car the check engine light became a familiar occurrence. Took it to independent mechanics to save a little on repairs but it seemed like I'd leave just to have another issue crop up. Started taking it to the local dealer so of course I paid through the nose for repairs (like all German cars). While not quite as expensive as my Mercedes to maintain, it still felt weird paying a premium for maintenance on a non-luxury badge. There were the enjoyable times with the car, it was loaded with great features and it was quiet and quick. But in the end, the bad outweighed the good.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, enormous moon roof, low end torque thanks to the turbo. Handled well enough for a FWD car. Manual transmission was decent. The ride on the highway was smooth, quiet and I'd find myself cruising at 85 feeling like it was closer to 60. Cabin lighting at night was very cool looking. Sound system was nice for stock - 8 speakers back in '01 was nice.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. On average the check engine light would come on 4 times a year and every time meant a trip to the mechanic / dealer. Sometimes the problem would be so significant the engine would hardly get me to the shop - sputtering and dying if the RPM's dropped below 1750. Interior build quality - the plastics were coated with a soft-touch coating from the factory that peeled off even under gentle use (I baby my cars) and made the interior age prematurely. The leather developed discoloration in frequent use areas as well.

Still like to drive it after 11 years
By fixit58

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi. Averaging 31 mpg. Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack. Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph. Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel. Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only). Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it. Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.

Favorite Features

Reliable drive train, no breakdowns, most expensive maintenance/repair was timing belt & water pump replacement, great versatility with interior space, good ergonomics and long-distance comfort, nice sounding stereo. I still like my ride and haven't been able to make up my mind for spending $30k for a new car when this one is meeting my needs, is still fun to drive, and costs me little to keep on the road compared to depreciation on a new car.

Suggested Improvements

Had needed 6th gear, unacceptable oil consumption, 115 bhp is the king of underpowered (although the manual tranny makes it a bit more peppy than you expect).