2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
5 yrs later...$8000 in maint. & rising
By ididlikevwjettas on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

If you are going to buy a used vw jetta make sure to get extended warranty! Bought the car used at around 60,000 miles with warranty till 100,000 miles. Problems: internal engine problems-dealer replace whole engine, got used engine in-did not work, got another used engine-worked, secondary air system leak-replace cracked round plastic resevour next to oil pan-not covered by warranty, replaced all belts; due to noise, replace faulty ac compressor, coolant leak at thermostat housing. rear alignment is off: not adjustable, WTF! Just got new tires. must be bent suspension? thats gonna cost alot! Otherwise great performance, vr6 is quiet and seems at times "as if the engine is not even running.

Worst Car Ever Owned
By John Doe on 08/27/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Jetta ia a popular car and I know why. It is fun to drive. Good power. HOWEVER, he car has been in the garage being fixed more than it has been on the road. In two months over $2,000 of repairs and now they say the turbo is going bad - $2,500+ This car is immaculate and a piece of junk. Buyer beware - the turbo generates a lot of heat - causing lots of little problems. The engine will not last.

Keep on searching
By KariD on 08/13/10 23:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was a gift from my parents for graduating college. I feel really bad that I insisted on buying a VW. I wouldn't be happy until I got the darn thing, huge mistake. Ignition coils, trunk, windows, glove box, interior (poorly made), front bumper, center console, clutch, brakes, speakers, I could go on forever. It really breaks the bank, and you have to go to someone who knows VW's, and be prepared to spend some cash. I had a bonus misfortune buying this car new. the dealer was repainting the car because birds had ruined the paint, but they crashed it, and placed a refurbished sticker on it. the dealer doesn't have to report it if the repair job is under $1000. Sweet.

Pretty Neutral.
By onepointeight on 08/02/10 20:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was in love with VW's, so I bought it. I've had to replace a lot of things, and the check engine light is still on, but it runs and gets me where I need to go. Talk about the soul of a VW! It dies almost every day when I get home from work, but never at a stop sign or light or anything like that, just when its home. Its really fun, but too expensive and has too many little things go wrong with it. Advice to first time buyers : get the timing belt done right away. Don't wait til' it breaks. If there's a check engine light on, don't expect it to be nothing. Get it checked out! These cars are the best around if you have the money and time to maintain them all the time. I'd suggest a Honda!

THIS is a Volkswagen?
By FarFromSatisfied on 07/19/10 10:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was a gift from my parents, as a first car. At first I was thrilled; the car was fun to drive, it had great features and it looked great. So far, Ive had the car about a year and a half, and the car has been in the repair shop about 5 or 6 times for major repairs, including: the transmission, alternator, head gasket, a/c compressor, power steering, water pump, and a few others. I don't have a lead foot, so its not my driving thats causing these problems. Not to mention I average 16 mpg, if that. Nevertheless, the car has great features. I just expected more from Volkswagen, especially with the car being one of their "Certified 'Pre Loved' Cars".

VW FAIL.
By Josh on 06/30/10 02:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I financed this Jetta used for around $11k and ended up spending over $13k in repair receipts over the short lifetime of this car. Every possible part on this car had to be replaced at least once, and it was constantly towed to the shop. We just got rid of this for a reliable Honda.

Fun at the start but not when needed!
By dubvhill on 06/18/10 10:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and heard nothing but good things about VWs. I thought i was getting a dependable car that would last a long time. I was wrong, but must say it hasn't died completely. About a year into my purchase the check engine light came on. Being a poor college student, making it on his own, didn't have money to fix right away. Long story short 4years $7k in and the check engine light is still on. Making money now to fix, but tired of the circling fuel system of death. I am waiting for this car to die to buy a new car. My luck will be this car goes forever with the check engine light on. At the end of the year I will donate to train fire fighters, so the misery will die.

There is no point in owning a gas VW
By WriConsult on 06/16/10 13:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Jetta Wagon because we had just bought a Golf TDI and were impressed with the great interior and driving experience. Whoops! In two years we've had $6000 in maintenance. 22c/mile, more than twice any other car I have owned. And that's with just 100k on the clock. I've taken numerous Hondas and Subarus past 150k, and NONE of them has ever cost me more than 8-10cents/mi to maintain. Multiple cooling leaks, water pump (plastic impeller) failure (twice). Failed MAF sensor. Electrical, window and door latch problems. Last week a new ECU ($1000). It's not just the number of things, it's the parts cost (which Consumer Reports doesn't report). Example: cup holder broke. The PART was $180!

A Nice Ride
By Goodriver52 on 05/30/10 17:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta GL has 128,000 miles on it now and still has the original front brakes, exhaust system and clutch. The 2.0 liter 4 gets excellent gas mileage and the 5 speed manual trans is fun to use. I take it to the dealer for servicing every 5000 miles. Maintenance is expensive but well worth it. This car has been trouble free and I hope to get at least 300,000 miles before letting her go. Even tho the 2.0 is not a muscular engine it is very smooth. This car's handling is tight and very maneuverable.

Plastic Water Pump Impeller Failure
By gorvcamping on 05/17/10 21:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Just in case your 2.0 Liter-powered VW (not sure of other engine designs) develops unexplained overheating with no external coolant leaks, it is most likely a internally shattered PLASTIC (yes you read that correctly) impeller that has failed. Unfortunately, it is about a 4-hour shop job to replace the impeller, since it is driven by the timing belt. So most of the front part of the engine must be dismantled in order to get to the impeller! COST: about $600-$750 parts & labor. If you are mechanically knowledgeable, parts (impeller, timing belt, tension pulley, and thermostat) will cost you about $210. When buying a replacement impeller, be sure to specify an ALL METAL replacement!