Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
good riddance!
By disgruntled_vw_owner

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Finally got rid of my jetta last month. This car has caused me so much grief (and money) during the 4 yrs I owned it. VW replaced the mass airflow sensor after the car died on the highway while I was 8 months pregnant. A few months later the same thing happened so the sensor was replaced again. The car stalls after pulling from parking (cold start) everyday, and VW couldn't figure out how to fix it. The check engine light goes on all the time, after multiple trips back to VW they still couldn't fix it. The replacement parts cost so much too for something that was assembled in Mexico. The rubber material by the door peels and looks disgusting. Will never buy a VW vehicle again ever.

Favorite Features

dashboard light looks cool, exterior overall design is clean

Suggested Improvements

nothing really -- this car is hopeless and way overpriced

repair despair
By Doesnt matter

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Fuel pump failure, check timing belt repair, check electrical problems, check I could go on and on about the problems I've had with this darn car.

Favorite Features

takeoff is sweet

Suggested Improvements

Where do i start

A pleasant suprise
By Timberwolf919

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I bought this car, I wasn't really enthusiastic about it. I had been trying for a MINI, and kinda got stuck with this (the dealers were shady). However, to my enjoyment, I have gotten quite comfortable with it since then. Adding rims and a few aftermarket things made this car very classy, and I enjoyed the ride. I did get a finicky blinker, though, and the starter made a funny noise, although it was mechanically sound. But at 132k miles, I am pleased to find that I haven't had to do much to the car at all. I replaced the vacuum tubing and secondary air pump for about $700, but mechanics were fair: $45 for extensive diagnostics. Looking to do a few more things for a truly killer ride.

Favorite Features

Leather (although it smells like crayons), Heated seats, Turbo/BOV, decorative trim

Suggested Improvements

Parts can be expensive, and the starter could be improved. I think there are many things that have happened in recent models to compensate for these, though.

The real review on a jetta
By jarren1

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Germans use nothing but quality when it comes to their cars. VW are a well designed machine you have to do regular maintenance. I had my jetta for well over a year and a half No problems. I even went to basic and ait, the car sat for 8 mnths. got back jumped the battery and she was still in good condition. Oh and when it come to quality. They took the time have the mirrors self adjust when u put the car in reverse, a safe fail feature on ur windows if anything obstucts the window from going up. Not to mention i got stuck in the snow and no choce but to floor it at over 8,000 rpms for over 5 mins to get free. It makes me mad when someone talks down on a perfectly good car. The jetta is a Go.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint i have on this jetta is that the MK3 vr6 came with a turbo and the MK4 GLX doesnt.

awesome car
By dbanda51

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this is my 2nd vw. i had a 99.5 jetta 2.0 as my 1st car and loved it except for it was to slow.great on gas though. i later got a bmw 323i and kind of liked it but not as much as the jetta so i got rid of it. and finally found the 01 jetta Wolfsburg. it had everything i needed, 5 speed, sport seats, turbo, 4cyl (for great mpg).i have owned it for about a year and a half.has never let me down.previous owner kept everything tight and said he never got check engine light, as of today i haven't either. i have also added coilovers, APR tune (making 215hp!), forge dv valve (makes the psshh sound), 17' rims, and a Nav system, i have put about 20k miles on it without a prob. this car is awesome!!!

Favorite Features

Sport seats, turbo, sport suspension (it was fine but i wanted low so i got coilovers), speakers are better then most cars, 5 speed is awesome wish it had 6 speeds though,

Suggested Improvements

get coilovers!, the jetta is way to high!. once lowerd it looks twice as good!, get an APR chip tune it will take you up to 215hp!! get a diff diverter valve to make the turbo sound cool!, and if your rims start to peel get new ones otherwise your good.