Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Class Action Lawsuit
By Jeffrey Puterbaugh

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Initially, I loved this car, it was a blast to drive and is very stylish. That was until the problems started. This will read just like so many other reviews. Rear brakes went at 20K, Mass air flow sensor went at 30K, water pump went at 40K, coil pack and assoc. electircal went at 60K. I paid $25K for this piece of junk and expect better from VW. With so many of the same problems occuring with so many of these cars, there definitely should be some accountability on VW's part. These repairs should be covered. I have no choice but to seek out other owners to join me in a class action lawsuit. At this point, I simply cannot afford not to sue. Contact me if interested.

acceleration (when it runs)

Take some responsibility for the product that you manufacture - own up to the problems and pay for the repairs.

Throttle body problems
By Dawn

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Problems with throttle body within months of purchase. Car on third throttle body. Extreme loss of power on freeways and uphills. Two near accidents. In last 4 months, it has been in an authorized repair shop 5/6 times with thousands of dollars worth of repairs. Contacted VW corporate 5 times. Never asked for new car or rental for inconveniences, just requesting a safe reliable car (like mine). V. disappointed with VW customer service more so than vehicle.

Fun Car, bad electrical system
By jss714

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think there are a lot of pros and cons to the car, yes it is a really fun car to drive and looks very sleek and stylish. It has an excellent powertrain warranty, but I have had lots of problems with the electrical system! Which of course started to break after the meager 2-year bumper-to- bumper warranty had expired. The VW's are VERY expensive to repair.

Turbo, stereo, moonroof

I would like to see the electical systems more reliable, and a longer bumper-to-bumper warranty (which they have corrected for the 2002 model years). Don't charge so much for labor if they need to be fixed so much!

Torn to love...
By JETTA01

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I "WANT" to love this car. It's been tough though. I test-drive other cars and nothing is better then my Jetta. Yet, I don't trust it. I am disappointed in the electrical problems, yet love when it runs 'right.'

Interior accomodations (steering wheel controls, power feature controls, etc.). I love the sport suspension, handling, and performance. The power off the engine is unbeatable too!

Water/rain condition control. Air 'intake' be higher then it is. Minimal flooding and heavy rains cause for major issues!

Best decision I ever made
By audkab

I bought my 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsberg edition used in 2003. I've had it for a year now and I love it. I've had a couple 'recall' parts that I've had to bring the car in for, but they were minor and I was not having any problems. My car is roomy, cute, and fun to drive! I love all of the little extras the manufactures put into making this vehicle. It has been a reliable, fantastic purchase. I would definitely buy this car again.

heated seats, monsoon audio system, blue/red dash lights (gets oohs and ahs from all my friends), cool rims, turbo!!