2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
A super car for the money. Great value
By billiebob on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've already submitted a longer review on the Jetta in general. No other car maker offers such a combination of features for the price. How else could you get: sport suspension with top of the line touring tires gorgeous german BBS wheels 4 wheel disc ABS 6 airbags sport seats interior leather accoutrements 6 disc CD changer sunroof A fast turbo engine The list goes on and on! the audi A4 has the same features (plus leather) for almost 8000 more! Forget it and buy the Jetta. I've had NO problems in 35000 miles!

Decent for my standards
By wpederson on 12/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is remarkable quick for being a 4 banger. I was equally impressed by the list of standard features with this model. Being a single man, I did not care about backseat room, until I had to sit back there! There was less room than my 2dr Accord Coupe! But the car really proved itself to me when I rear ended a brand new Mercedes, the airbags weren't pleasant (but what ones are?) however I was highly impressed by the way it held up. The damage was $10,000+ and would have surely totaled my Honda had I been driving it. After the car was fixed it wasn't the same (are they ever?) so I traded up to a 2002 VW Passat (will review that one too)

Excellent!!
By martin parr on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

First time owner of VW product. Will continue to purchase more. I am very impressed with quality and performance. Wish they had glx vr6 for 03, but discontinued.

The Car Sucks
By NeedaNewCar on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a jetta so of course my I had to get a jetta. The first year was great. By the time the second year came the problems just would not stop. There's this gross stuff coming from the door that hardens. There's obviously something wrong with my transmission and it chuckles backwards at times. Dealership insists there's nothing wrong with it everytime. Each snowstorm the guy has issues with traction even after changing to brand new tires. The velour seats are horrible with everything sticking to it. I can't wait till I get rid of this car.

Not So Much
By Ben McDaniel on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well, I love how this car drives, feels and performs... that is when it is not at the dealership. This car has been at the shop (Gene Messer VW) at least 15 times since it was purchased a little over two years ago. One time they had the car for six weeks because of the check engine light. For some reason, it always seems like there are several things wrong. Yikes, it is by far the worst car I have ever owned. Some problems include: Check engine light, airbag light, turbo, paint, rattles and other things.... Also, the service department has the worst setup I have ever seen. I really do think that these people have no idea how to work on their cars

Beware of the service department
By Jeff Gingras on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

The best all-around compact sedan for $20,000: Faster than most small cars, good fuel economy for such a powerful car, handles good but doesn't ride harsh, very good interior quality and ergonomics (besides the cupholders), and a long list of standard features. Of course nothing's perfect: Quiet cabin helps rattles from the dashboard and doors sound more prevalent(door rattles can be dispatched by wrapping electrical tape around the "U" shaped door latch). Service departments are lousy. This has been verified by numerous owners around the country.

I love my car!!!
By jaime on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my car! It's amazingly fun to drive, and people are always amazed at how much storage the car has. I recommend this car to anyone who is even considering buying a compact sedan!

I love my car!!!
By Jaime on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

won't buy one again
By used to love vw on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with my '01 GLX VR6 sedan. The biggest and most frustrating problem I have had is everytime I would use my rear defroster, the radio would go complete static. VW worked on this for over a year taking my car in over 10 times and finally this month just fixed the problem after a brand new radio ( that wasn't the problem) and finally a new rear window. The first week I had my new car the snaps that on the mats all broke off, my car wouldn't run one night because it was raining and they had to put new coiling in the engine, the drivers heated seat has not been working, the engine is not smooth and many times "skips".

Mexico+Tequilla=1.8T
By crabbykaiser on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

The engine, suspension and transmission have been excellent. The brakes as well as the fit and finish have been a constant source of aggrevation. Although properly cared for the supposed quality BBS rims have been CRAP! Rattles in the speaker area, faulty rotors and rims that pit/clear coat failure make me a rather proturbed owner. After ditching a 99' Beetle for similar reasons, this one will follow shortly. My days with Volkswagen have come to an end.