2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great German Wagon
By robpsdhs on 02/06/07 15:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car replaced a 2000 Beetle (I loved the Beetle but needed more useful cargo space). It has very few negatives: its mileage isn't great. I've used regular gas for three years. The mpg actually improved from when I used super. It has no knocks or pings. I had a problem with the coolant system when I moved to the desert. The coolant evaporates in this intense heat. Now, the positives: the car is great. Its handling after six years is still crisp and responsive. Its fit / finish are excellent. Even using regular gas the acceleration is excellent. I also have a '04 Mustang Convertible. My Jetta wagon is so much more fun to drive. I love this car.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Ron Franks on 07/26/05 18:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife and intitially we were thrilled - it was very cool and a lot fun to drive. After about two years and 20,000 miles the fun began - rear brakes, oxygen sensor faults, airbag switch faults, windows falling in the doors, cracked ignition coil harness (?), bad fuses, frozen doors in the winter, etc., etc., etc. I have owned many cars in my life and have never, ever experienced this sort of ongoing maintenance nightmare. I take care of my cars and never have a problem with investing $$$ to keep them running properly, but give me a break! Half of the things that went wrong with this car I had never heard of (and one of my other cars is a Saab)! Toyota's from now on!

My experience
By Norma Rubin on 06/03/05 18:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have 87,000 miles on my 2001 Jetta VR6 wagon. So far I have had the mass air flow sensor replaced, which VW refunded part of the money. And the coil also was replaced, but what really flip me out was that the rear brakes had to be completely replaced at 25,000 miles that cost $1000. I love the way the car performs, but not so crazy with the fuel economy; highway 22 to 25 mpg city 15 to 18. What I don't see other owners talk about is the stereo, I think it is the best car stereo a car manufacturer has installed in a car in its class. I also notice that with this five year old car that the imitation wood trim is cracking and it will need to be replaced

The Best
By jvfan on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This wagon is simple the best when it come to german engineering and is the perfect sub for those who are not wanting to buy a mini van.

Jetta GLX VR6 - good but could be better
By dco on 03/01/02 14:54 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Quality of material is excellent, craftmanship is less than perfect for the Mexico built models. Suspension too american and soft. Manual Shiffter too long and rubberry. Equipement of US car is unacceptable compared to european model which comes with AWD, 6 speed manual,201 HP and GPS for the same price.