Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Ron Franks

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife and intitially we were thrilled - it was very cool and a lot fun to drive. After about two years and 20,000 miles the fun began - rear brakes, oxygen sensor faults, airbag switch faults, windows falling in the doors, cracked ignition coil harness (?), bad fuses, frozen doors in the winter, etc., etc., etc. I have owned many cars in my life and have never, ever experienced this sort of ongoing maintenance nightmare. I take care of my cars and never have a problem with investing $$$ to keep them running properly, but give me a break! Half of the things that went wrong with this car I had never heard of (and one of my other cars is a Saab)! Toyota's from now on!

Favorite Features

The rear tail lights will look really cool as they sink into the lake that I'm going to drive it into.

Suggested Improvements

Stop producing such pieces of junk and apologize to everyone who has experienced this sort of agony. From reading the posts on this BB and others there seems to be many of us!

Great German Wagon
By robpsdhs

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car replaced a 2000 Beetle (I loved the Beetle but needed more useful cargo space). It has very few negatives: its mileage isn't great. I've used regular gas for three years. The mpg actually improved from when I used super. It has no knocks or pings. I had a problem with the coolant system when I moved to the desert. The coolant evaporates in this intense heat. Now, the positives: the car is great. Its handling after six years is still crisp and responsive. Its fit / finish are excellent. Even using regular gas the acceleration is excellent. I also have a '04 Mustang Convertible. My Jetta wagon is so much more fun to drive. I love this car.

Favorite Features

The heated seats, up/down power windows for both driver/passenger (std. on all 4 windows now?), the red/blue dash lighting is great, and door panel buttons are lit. I like the auto dimming mirror and the stereo controls on steering wheel. The power seats and the Monsoon sound system are excellent. It has running lamps for safety.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is a dumb design, when in use, it's impossible to access the stereo controls. The cargo compartment placement for the CD holder is cumbersome. It needs to be dash mounted (maybe it is now). It should get better gas mileage, I get only 20-22 mpg, but it's probably all the power stuff.

Love and hateful relationship
By schrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got my Jetta in 2011, and it did good for a while but in a year it started having over heating problems. I loved driving it but then in 2013 the coil pack went out, so I just parked it in our yard and drove my 95 Nissan XE. Finally in 2015, I put a new coil pack in it and drove it to the mountains, on my way back the tire blew out and destroyed the front left side Love it and hated it at the same time

Favorite Features

5 speed Dash lights

Suggested Improvements

Engine Transmission Get rid of the crayon smell Get rid of the cheap plastic

The Best
By jvfan

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This wagon is simple the best when it come to german engineering and is the perfect sub for those who are not wanting to buy a mini van.

Favorite Features

Sporty throughout, both interior and exterior

Suggested Improvements

The folks at volks have nailed this one and the ownly improvments would be more trim package choices

My experience
By Norma Rubin

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have 87,000 miles on my 2001 Jetta VR6 wagon. So far I have had the mass air flow sensor replaced, which VW refunded part of the money. And the coil also was replaced, but what really flip me out was that the rear brakes had to be completely replaced at 25,000 miles that cost $1000. I love the way the car performs, but not so crazy with the fuel economy; highway 22 to 25 mpg city 15 to 18. What I don't see other owners talk about is the stereo, I think it is the best car stereo a car manufacturer has installed in a car in its class. I also notice that with this five year old car that the imitation wood trim is cracking and it will need to be replaced

Favorite Features

Handling, performance, and stereo

Suggested Improvements

Some reliability issues and fuel economy