2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Still like to drive it after 11 years
By fixit58 on 07/10/12 22:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi. Averaging 31 mpg. Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack. Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph. Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel. Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only). Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it. Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.

There is no point in owning a gas VW
By WriConsult on 06/16/10 13:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Jetta Wagon because we had just bought a Golf TDI and were impressed with the great interior and driving experience. Whoops! In two years we've had $6000 in maintenance. 22c/mile, more than twice any other car I have owned. And that's with just 100k on the clock. I've taken numerous Hondas and Subarus past 150k, and NONE of them has ever cost me more than 8-10cents/mi to maintain. Multiple cooling leaks, water pump (plastic impeller) failure (twice). Failed MAF sensor. Electrical, window and door latch problems. Last week a new ECU ($1000). It's not just the number of things, it's the parts cost (which Consumer Reports doesn't report). Example: cup holder broke. The PART was $180!

VW FunWagen
By Brian on 05/01/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the BEST car I have ever owned. Where do I start? The seats are so comfortable. I can drive 500 miles and be as fresh as a daisy when I arrive. The mpg is amazing. I drive 75 most of the way and still get 34 miles per gallon. My old car would get 28 at that speed. I can fit a ton of stuff inside. I am tall (6ft 2in) so my seat is back a bit. When the rear seat is folded, I am still comfortable. I am not jammed against the wheel trying to drive. Then, the space back there. With the seats up, I can fit three loaded golf bags back there. With the seats down, I was able to fit furniture inside (kitchen table and chairs) when I was moving. Awesome car, highly recommended.

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Brian on 10/26/07 21:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say? I am now forever a loyal VW buyer. This car is absolutely amazing. I have the 2.0 with a 5 speed manual. Plenty of power even when fully loaded. I can set the cruise at 70 with people and gear in the car and pull the Grape Vine without losing speed. Awesome. The torque is also amazing. At 1800 rpm in top gear, it will accelerate. Not bad.

Hate It
By hateit on 01/29/06 15:12 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with my 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wagon and VW dealership's and care for my car. Every month there is some new problem. I definitely would not recomend this car, or company to anyone. I have never seen such poor preformance and quality, from the vechicle to the people who sell and work on them.

The Best
By marshn on 01/02/06 23:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Volkswagen Jetta Wagon is the best. I am a musician and haul lots of instruments and gear. I loaded all this up in several wagons for a test drive and there was no question. This car held more equipment, drives much better (it's a blast to drive), is more comfortable for long drives, and the sound system is outstanding. The heated seats and sunroof add to the joy. I could not be happier with this car. I've got 115,000 miles and never had a problem. I have only had to make oil changes and 3 tune-ups. Fahrvergnuegen! Danke Volkswagen!

Bargain in a nice wrapper
By Brian Reed on 05/10/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have taken this car on two long trips and it has been everything I wanted and more. Everything works superbly in the car from the Monsoon system, cd changer, seats and cupholders. It gets fabulous MPG in town and on the road. I consistently get between 27-30 in town and 34-37 on the road. When the cruise is engaged, it has no problem pulling an uphill grade like the Grapevine in CA fully loaded. I love this car!!!

Wow!
By Brian on 02/10/05 17:25 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a tight handling little car. No rattles going over bumps and very quiet at 70 mph. I love the room the car has especially with the rear seats folded. Totally reliabe with gas mpg that rivaled my old Neon. I'm getting around 27 mpg in town! What a cheap car to own. I've only had it for a month, but I can already say it is the best car I have ever owned. I am now a VW snob for the rest of my life!

favorite car ever
By dynakit on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I've owned. There were a few initial ticks, child window lock broken, seat fold-down retainers broken. I expect a couple issues with a new car though, and these were minor and taken care of right away. If power is your thing, might want to step up to the 1.8T or the VR6, but I find the 2.0 to be adequate for urban and interstate.

My jetta wagon
By rasool on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is joy to drive.Great handling,braking(though ABS cylinder has a manufactuer defact that fails in first hard braking).Good warranty coverage and company that care about its image,will respond to your complain right away.Overall, proud to own this car.