Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love and hateful relationship
By schrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got my Jetta in 2011, and it did good for a while but in a year it started having over heating problems. I loved driving it but then in 2013 the coil pack went out, so I just parked it in our yard and drove my 95 Nissan XE. Finally in 2015, I put a new coil pack in it and drove it to the mountains, on my way back the tire blew out and destroyed the front left side Love it and hated it at the same time

Favorite Features

5 speed Dash lights

Suggested Improvements

Engine Transmission Get rid of the crayon smell Get rid of the cheap plastic

Loved it
By kristikrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sad to say I totalled my wagon last week. This was a very functional and reliable car for me. I haul lots of stuff to work every day, so it was great for the space factor although removing head rests to lay seats flat was a bit cumbersome. I received the car at 70,000 from and rode it to like 117 in 2.5 years. In that time I changed the impeller (seems common) on the coolant system and the front bumper shield thing rides a bit low to the ground so it was dragging and held up by duct tape in its last few months. The brakes were great, and I didn't mind the cup holders either way. This car saved my life in my accident where I hit the cement wall on the freeway, so I'm 4eva grateful.

Favorite Features

Roof racks were nice for my kayak travels. Leather seats easy to clean. Purple dash lights were pretty awesome. Smooth, efficient brakes. Great cargo space. Solid construction.

Suggested Improvements

oil did get used up fast (saw in another post too). Removing headrests to lay seats flat. Turnstyle knobs for seat adjustment (good luck if you have arthritis). Little vw caps on center of tires come off easily. All rather minor things that are not dealbreakers, no car is perfect.

Still like to drive it after 11 years
By fixit58

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi. Averaging 31 mpg. Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack. Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph. Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel. Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only). Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it. Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.

Favorite Features

Reliable drive train, no breakdowns, most expensive maintenance/repair was timing belt & water pump replacement, great versatility with interior space, good ergonomics and long-distance comfort, nice sounding stereo. I still like my ride and haven't been able to make up my mind for spending $30k for a new car when this one is meeting my needs, is still fun to drive, and costs me little to keep on the road compared to depreciation on a new car.

Suggested Improvements

Had needed 6th gear, unacceptable oil consumption, 115 bhp is the king of underpowered (although the manual tranny makes it a bit more peppy than you expect).

There is no point in owning a gas VW
By WriConsult

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Jetta Wagon because we had just bought a Golf TDI and were impressed with the great interior and driving experience. Whoops! In two years we've had $6000 in maintenance. 22c/mile, more than twice any other car I have owned. And that's with just 100k on the clock. I've taken numerous Hondas and Subarus past 150k, and NONE of them has ever cost me more than 8-10cents/mi to maintain. Multiple cooling leaks, water pump (plastic impeller) failure (twice). Failed MAF sensor. Electrical, window and door latch problems. Last week a new ECU ($1000). It's not just the number of things, it's the parts cost (which Consumer Reports doesn't report). Example: cup holder broke. The PART was $180!

Favorite Features

HUGE cargo capacity. Fun to drive, awesome handling. 8 airbags, safest in class. PHENOMENAL Monsoon stereo. 2.0 L gasser has good torque but loves to rev. Decent mpg compared to most wagons (I drive smarter than most people, and got 32/34 mpg), though still lame by small sedan standards.

Suggested Improvements

Make it more reliable! With parts that mere mortals can afford. Better ground clearance. Better fuel economy. Ditch the TEDIOUS German rotary seat back adjusters. And make it more reliable! Oh by the way, mine was built in Germany, so don't blame Brazil and Mexico for all Jettas' problems! Blame VW!

VW FunWagen
By Brian

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the BEST car I have ever owned. Where do I start? The seats are so comfortable. I can drive 500 miles and be as fresh as a daisy when I arrive. The mpg is amazing. I drive 75 most of the way and still get 34 miles per gallon. My old car would get 28 at that speed. I can fit a ton of stuff inside. I am tall (6ft 2in) so my seat is back a bit. When the rear seat is folded, I am still comfortable. I am not jammed against the wheel trying to drive. Then, the space back there. With the seats up, I can fit three loaded golf bags back there. With the seats down, I was able to fit furniture inside (kitchen table and chairs) when I was moving. Awesome car, highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Interior space, front cup holders. I know a lot of people hate them but not me. These things hold that drink solid. Bottles NEVER spill. I love the seats, the mpg (29/34), the lighting, the ride and handling, the Monsoon stereo is fabulous, frigid AC, it is a great looking car, no rattles.

Suggested Improvements

The ease of folding the rears seats down could be better. Tinted windows standard.