Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Works good for some but not for everyone
By Erica

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It's very costly to repair and once it breaks down once will break down multiple times in a year. A bought this car when it had 50000 first thing that went out was my transmission, had to replace my radiator, starter cranked, my started melted on to my battery, cooling system, my air conditioner. My advice is get it check first to know what's wrong before you buy it I have spent $6000 in repairs have only had it for 4 years it's not a good buy. Bumper is too low also!

Really enjoyed this car
By Christian Wade

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my 01 Jetta Wagon for years and really enjoyed it. It was pretty trouble free but there was some maintenance that had to be done to keep it that way. The gas milage was great and it was fun to drive. Lots of room in the back of the car and that was great since I have a very large dog.

I thought that the rear seat was fine for kids but tall adults would have a tight fit. Some of the coating on the interior parts was weird. It was rubbery and would scratch off. I also found that the sunroof drains are a constant trouble. They aren't hard to fix in the front but the rear are a pain.

If you buy one of these cars know when the timing belt was done. Very important.

I sold this car recently as I bought a Vanagon and didn't need two cars.

Never ever!
By katysue81

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car just a few months ago. Ever since I got it, I have had nothing but problems. No skid plate anymore, 3 bent rims, it doesn't take potholes and dips too well. A newer clutch, the throw out bearing is already going out. It needs engine mounts, no matter which way you push your window button, it will go the way it wants to. In less than 3 months I have already had to replace alternator, serpentine belt (twice) battery, brakes and roders, 02 sensor. There is a short somewhere in the car. My lights will randomly flick on and off just driving down the road. It's fun to drive, and speedy. But unless you have a couple thousand saved up in the bank for repairs, don't get this.

Sound system, heated seats, acceleration

Anything electrical. Durability. Reliability.

Love and hateful relationship
By schrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got my Jetta in 2011, and it did good for a while but in a year it started having over heating problems. I loved driving it but then in 2013 the coil pack went out, so I just parked it in our yard and drove my 95 Nissan XE. Finally in 2015, I put a new coil pack in it and drove it to the mountains, on my way back the tire blew out and destroyed the front left side

Love it and hated it at the same time

5 speed Dash lights

Engine Transmission Get rid of the crayon smell Get rid of the cheap plastic

Loved it
By kristikrum

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sad to say I totalled my wagon last week.
This was a very functional and reliable car for me.
I haul lots of stuff to work every day, so it was great for the space factor although removing head rests to lay seats flat was a bit cumbersome.
I received the car at 70,000 from and rode it to like 117 in 2.5 years.
In that time I changed the impeller (seems common) on the coolant system and the front bumper shield thing rides a bit low to the ground so it was dragging and held up by duct tape in its last few months.
The brakes were great, and I didn't mind the cup holders either way.
This car saved my life in my accident where I hit the cement wall on the freeway, so I'm 4eva grateful.

Roof racks were nice for my kayak travels. Leather seats easy to clean. Purple dash lights were pretty awesome. Smooth, efficient brakes. Great cargo space. Solid construction.

oil did get used up fast (saw in another post too). Removing headrests to lay seats flat. Turnstyle knobs for seat adjustment (good luck if you have arthritis). Little vw caps on center of tires come off easily. All rather minor things that are not dealbreakers, no car is perfect.