2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Loved it
By kristikrum on 09/14/13 17:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sad to say I totalled my wagon last week. This was a very functional and reliable car for me. I haul lots of stuff to work every day, so it was great for the space factor although removing head rests to lay seats flat was a bit cumbersome. I received the car at 70,000 from and rode it to like 117 in 2.5 years. In that time I changed the impeller (seems common) on the coolant system and the front bumper shield thing rides a bit low to the ground so it was dragging and held up by duct tape in its last few months. The brakes were great, and I didn't mind the cup holders either way. This car saved my life in my accident where I hit the cement wall on the freeway, so I'm 4eva grateful.

Still like to drive it after 11 years
By fixit58 on 07/10/12 22:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001, now @ 160k mi. Averaging 31 mpg. Love the versatility of the wagon and the roof rack. Engine is anemic, despite very short final drive ratio of transmission, but car cruises comfortably at 80 mph. Engine has always used 1 qt of oil per 1500 mi, more in commuting, less with long distance travel. Everything is original except most sensors, timing belt, water pump, coil pack, plug wires (2x), horns, consumables like lamps, plugs, filters, brake pads (rear only). Had a few recalls, water intrusion into interior, the lower engine cover has taken many beatings from scraping on curbs, and that's about it. Enjoying a reliable car with no further depreciation.

There is no point in owning a gas VW
By WriConsult on 06/16/10 13:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Jetta Wagon because we had just bought a Golf TDI and were impressed with the great interior and driving experience. Whoops! In two years we've had $6000 in maintenance. 22c/mile, more than twice any other car I have owned. And that's with just 100k on the clock. I've taken numerous Hondas and Subarus past 150k, and NONE of them has ever cost me more than 8-10cents/mi to maintain. Multiple cooling leaks, water pump (plastic impeller) failure (twice). Failed MAF sensor. Electrical, window and door latch problems. Last week a new ECU ($1000). It's not just the number of things, it's the parts cost (which Consumer Reports doesn't report). Example: cup holder broke. The PART was $180!

VW FunWagen
By Brian on 05/01/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the BEST car I have ever owned. Where do I start? The seats are so comfortable. I can drive 500 miles and be as fresh as a daisy when I arrive. The mpg is amazing. I drive 75 most of the way and still get 34 miles per gallon. My old car would get 28 at that speed. I can fit a ton of stuff inside. I am tall (6ft 2in) so my seat is back a bit. When the rear seat is folded, I am still comfortable. I am not jammed against the wheel trying to drive. Then, the space back there. With the seats up, I can fit three loaded golf bags back there. With the seats down, I was able to fit furniture inside (kitchen table and chairs) when I was moving. Awesome car, highly recommended.

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Brian on 10/26/07 21:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say? I am now forever a loyal VW buyer. This car is absolutely amazing. I have the 2.0 with a 5 speed manual. Plenty of power even when fully loaded. I can set the cruise at 70 with people and gear in the car and pull the Grape Vine without losing speed. Awesome. The torque is also amazing. At 1800 rpm in top gear, it will accelerate. Not bad.

Great German Wagon
By robpsdhs on 02/06/07 15:45 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car replaced a 2000 Beetle (I loved the Beetle but needed more useful cargo space). It has very few negatives: its mileage isn't great. I've used regular gas for three years. The mpg actually improved from when I used super. It has no knocks or pings. I had a problem with the coolant system when I moved to the desert. The coolant evaporates in this intense heat. Now, the positives: the car is great. Its handling after six years is still crisp and responsive. Its fit / finish are excellent. Even using regular gas the acceleration is excellent. I also have a '04 Mustang Convertible. My Jetta wagon is so much more fun to drive. I love this car.

Hate It
By hateit on 01/29/06 15:12 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with my 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Wagon and VW dealership's and care for my car. Every month there is some new problem. I definitely would not recomend this car, or company to anyone. I have never seen such poor preformance and quality, from the vechicle to the people who sell and work on them.

The Best
By marshn on 01/02/06 23:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Volkswagen Jetta Wagon is the best. I am a musician and haul lots of instruments and gear. I loaded all this up in several wagons for a test drive and there was no question. This car held more equipment, drives much better (it's a blast to drive), is more comfortable for long drives, and the sound system is outstanding. The heated seats and sunroof add to the joy. I could not be happier with this car. I've got 115,000 miles and never had a problem. I have only had to make oil changes and 3 tune-ups. Fahrvergnuegen! Danke Volkswagen!

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By Ron Franks on 07/26/05 18:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my wife and intitially we were thrilled - it was very cool and a lot fun to drive. After about two years and 20,000 miles the fun began - rear brakes, oxygen sensor faults, airbag switch faults, windows falling in the doors, cracked ignition coil harness (?), bad fuses, frozen doors in the winter, etc., etc., etc. I have owned many cars in my life and have never, ever experienced this sort of ongoing maintenance nightmare. I take care of my cars and never have a problem with investing $$$ to keep them running properly, but give me a break! Half of the things that went wrong with this car I had never heard of (and one of my other cars is a Saab)! Toyota's from now on!

My experience
By Norma Rubin on 06/03/05 18:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX VR6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have 87,000 miles on my 2001 Jetta VR6 wagon. So far I have had the mass air flow sensor replaced, which VW refunded part of the money. And the coil also was replaced, but what really flip me out was that the rear brakes had to be completely replaced at 25,000 miles that cost $1000. I love the way the car performs, but not so crazy with the fuel economy; highway 22 to 25 mpg city 15 to 18. What I don't see other owners talk about is the stereo, I think it is the best car stereo a car manufacturer has installed in a car in its class. I also notice that with this five year old car that the imitation wood trim is cracking and it will need to be replaced