2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Can't get a better Drivers' car for the money.
By matthew32 on 02/23/13 02:05 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Have owned this car for about three years. It had 94k mi when I bought it and now has 118k. Have done a lot of repairs, but not any more than for the multitude of 100+ k mi vehicles I have owned in the past. The car came with service records and is in excellent condition for the age and mileage. I have done brakes, alternator, clutch, suspension, front susp bushings and ball joints. Unexpected repairs were: Fan Control Module, PS Pressure hose, timing chain. The TC broke at 117K, causing damage to 5 valves and an injector. Cost of repairs were around $4500, but still worth it considering that I have a 12 yr old car with 118k mi that looks, runs and drives like a new car.

The real review on a jetta
By jarren1 on 04/24/11 22:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Germans use nothing but quality when it comes to their cars. VW are a well designed machine you have to do regular maintenance. I had my jetta for well over a year and a half No problems. I even went to basic and ait, the car sat for 8 mnths. got back jumped the battery and she was still in good condition. Oh and when it come to quality. They took the time have the mirrors self adjust when u put the car in reverse, a safe fail feature on ur windows if anything obstucts the window from going up. Not to mention i got stuck in the snow and no choce but to floor it at over 8,000 rpms for over 5 mins to get free. It makes me mad when someone talks down on a perfectly good car. The jetta is a Go.

I know you might love it, but please DON'T buy it!!!
By tsheanance on 02/21/11 21:48 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Dear potential buyer of a VW Jetta, I have a 2001 VR6 GLX. I absolutely loved the looks of it, but almost as soon as it 100k miles, the car has started to fall to pieces! Everyday it's like a part is needed to be repaired. In my car I have replaced the serpentine belt, air pump, back break light...my radiator is still leaking coolant and I need a transmission control module chip ($950) since it shifts hard into third gear. The bumper is WAY too low to the ground and I actually broke it off twice (once at Petsmart parking lot...talk about embarrassing). Also, the car is cheap on the inside. The radio button is currently unraveling. You touch it, it breaks. LESSON LEARNED.

Best of the Best
By Nicholas on 05/18/09 01:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I had this VR6 for 4 years now. I reviewed other reviews from other clients who owned it. I'm lucky... Most have problems and being put in shop often. My VR6 has been running excellent for me with average of 35 MPG. Low profile tires (51 PSI), performace K&N air filter, full synethic oil, prenium gas, increases gas mileage. I've pushed my RPM over 7,000 so many times and never had a problem with it. I've topped almost 175 MPH with a radar used from a friend. All STOCK! It is a very fast car. I've raced BMW M5 and beat him, he was an idiot, he had auto and I had stick shift and I won 500 bucks. hee hee. Best car I've owned except for my old Dodge V10 truck.

never again
By nealmeg on 01/27/09 12:07 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Car posed problems from the second day I had it. Numerous expensive repairs that were never covered under the warranty. Broken o2 sensor, mass airflow censor, brake light switch (x3), catalytic converter (was actually covered! Hooray!), coolant leaks, both front widows fell off tracks, sunroof leaked, broken engine coils, etc. There's probably more but it makes me too depressed to think about it. I bought this car brand new one year after my mother bought a new Mazda and the same time my brother bought a Toyota, and guess what! Their cars are running wonderfully 9 years later! And mine? finally traded in for a beautiful Honda!

Wanna Waste Your Money? Buy A VW.
By Angie on 10/26/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This was my second car and taught me the biggest lesson of my life. Buying this car means putting a lot of money into it. I was looking forward to blacking the car out and when i saved up money to do so on my project, something always went wrong. In the shop at least 2 or 3 times a month. Burns oil constantly. Electrical system difficulties. Headlight covers get really hazy. The way they have the rear view mirror is ridiculous and doesn't stay on well with heat.

Caveat Emptor/Buyer Beware
By No More VW on 09/14/08 11:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is cute and the body feels "durable." However, the engine was purposefully designed to ONLY be repaired by VW dealership, as most smaller repair shops never have the specific parts in stock, and always find it difficult to get the parts from VW. The "check engine" light continuously lighted up (usually for no reason, causing me unnecessary trips to VW). The "mass air flow sensor" failed at least 8 times. The radiator had to be replaced ($680). The water pump and related fans had to be replaced ($800+). Spark plugs "misfired" and had to be replaced ($950). Engine hoses and pipes burst because they melted ($450). I could go on and on.

Fun but unreliable
By Poolfish on 04/10/08 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I'm at 117,000 miles and and getting ready to trade in for a Honda. The MIL is on right now because of a bad coolant sensor, a bad 02 sensor and a bad catalytic converter. The heater core also has a hole in it, so the car smells like anti-freeze if I turn the heat on. I hope the dealer doesn't take it for a drive before proposing a trade in value. I figure I've put about $10k into the car on repairs over the years, with only about $2k being normal scheduled maintenance. That includes a few new rims and tires because it does not handle pot holes too well! It is fun to drive though, so I will miss that after the trade in.

airbags deploying, why?
By trynsumthinew on 03/18/08 14:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

"What else could go wrong?" Yeah, that should be my headline as well. After the second week I purchased the vehicle my check engine light went on, not a bog deal, my warranty took care of it...but then everything else started going out on me: driver side and curtain airbags deployed for going over a "small" pothole, passenger heated seat went out, o2 sensor went bad 3 times, rear windows stopped working, am radio wouldn't work, edc braking system failed, vehicle stalled multiple multiple times! My car has been in the shop and have cost me a hell of a lot of money. As I am writing this review, my car is being worked on and God knows how much this is going to cost me!

Nice and fun to drive!
By Juan on 08/24/07 07:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Got my Jetta in Jan/04 with 57000 miles on the clock. It has been a new driving experience. It's incredible how the vr6 feels. Get the 5-speed to really enjoy this machine. GLX package is the best with all the options you have in a top of the line European car. I have put 45000 miles with no problems at all, just regular maintenance, replaced the tires at 68k and the shocks/struts @ 95k. Replaced water pump @ 80k (extra warranty covered it). No problems whatsoever.