2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
5 yrs later...$8000 in maint. & rising
By ididlikevwjettas on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

If you are going to buy a used vw jetta make sure to get extended warranty! Bought the car used at around 60,000 miles with warranty till 100,000 miles. Problems: internal engine problems-dealer replace whole engine, got used engine in-did not work, got another used engine-worked, secondary air system leak-replace cracked round plastic resevour next to oil pan-not covered by warranty, replaced all belts; due to noise, replace faulty ac compressor, coolant leak at thermostat housing. rear alignment is off: not adjustable, WTF! Just got new tires. must be bent suspension? thats gonna cost alot! Otherwise great performance, vr6 is quiet and seems at times "as if the engine is not even running.

Love the car!!
By geovanni11 on 12/30/09 21:31 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing..from low fuel consumption to great exterior design..i love everything about it..even when the check engine light turned on and i didn't have the money to fix it, it kept going strong and never let me down. Great car!!

Love My Jetta!
By Betsy on 07/12/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2004 with 65,000 miles and it has been a gem. It's fun to drive (manual) and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It has 128,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I will buy another Jetta next time I need a car but I'd like to get a diesel for better gas mileage. My GLS gets 26-29 which is pretty good for such a fantastic engine that just purrs at 80 mph. Can't say enough good about it.

Youre Kidding Right?
By Donner on 05/30/09 17:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in January 2009. The first 5 weeks, the signal lights clicked randomly. Then the car would stall out of nowhere. I got it fixed and everything seemed fine for about 4 months. Now, I'm being told I need a new transmission, a new fuel regulator (whatever that is), and 4 new fuses. You've got to be kidding. I only have 64,000 miles, I cant possibly imagine the car being on the road another 40,000 miles.

Good year for the Jetta
By Andrea on 01/17/09 19:46 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I never would have thought about buying a foreign vehicle until my bf got me psyched about the idea of owning one. We just went to some random dealership and I was so happy when we test drove this. I've had it almost a yr now with no problems. It's got over 96,000 miles on it and is still a young one. I plan on keeping this vehicle for as long as I can.

Be wary of VR6 w/ auto trans
By . on 09/20/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a used 2001 Jetta VR6 automatic to replace a 2001 Beetle 1.8T 5-Speed. This was the 8th VW I've owned (several GTIs, Sciroccos, a Karmann Ghia) but the first VR6, the first 4-speed automatic and the first with unexpected issues. Electrical gremlins made themselves known within the first 1000 miles we put on the car. First, it would occasionally refuse to start unless you reseated the battery-box fuses. Then the sunroof began opening spontaneously. The dealership wasn't able to sort the electrical problems, so I took it to my usual private VW expert. He rolled his eyes and said that VR6 automatics are notoriously problematic (though he had praise for the 2.0 and 1.8T manuals).

repair despair
By Doesnt matter on 06/27/08 05:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Fuel pump failure, check timing belt repair, check electrical problems, check I could go on and on about the problems I've had with this darn car.

Do Not BuyThis Car
By fromaustin on 03/20/08 04:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Snappy handling, looks good, decent mileage, assembled in Mexico: good looking junk. Repairs, repairs, more repairs, car disintegrating. This car is extremely hard to work on, stuff is difficult to get to, increasing repair costs, and very, very cheaply made.

Money pit
By money pit on 03/12/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

When everything works the car is great to drive. Unfortunately that's not very often. My car has 129,000 miles on it. I am on my 4th catalytic converter. I've always done my scheduled services at a VW dealer. The car has never made it the entire 5,000 miles without an extra visit for service. This car is such a disappointment. I'll NEVER get another one!

Love/ Hate Relationship
By Laura on 01/15/08 11:15 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

My Jetta and I have a love/hate relationship. It is super fast with great pick up and acceleration. I also have a BMW 330ci and the Jetta performs just as well. I have had a lot of transmission and electrical problems associated with my Jetta. There is always something that has to be fixed and at 50,000 miles the catalytic converter was replaced (it was under warrenty). It is not very reliable but has excellent handling. It does great in the rain and snow. I have to use premium gas which it eats up. Bad gas mileage for a small car.