Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

5 yrs later...$8000 in maint. & rising
By ididlikevwjettas

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

If you are going to buy a used vw jetta make sure to get extended warranty! Bought the car used at around 60,000 miles with warranty till 100,000 miles. Problems: internal engine problems-dealer replace whole engine, got used engine in-did not work, got another used engine-worked, secondary air system leak-replace cracked round plastic resevour next to oil pan-not covered by warranty, replaced all belts; due to noise, replace faulty ac compressor, coolant leak at thermostat housing. rear alignment is off: not adjustable, WTF! Just got new tires. must be bent suspension? thats gonna cost alot! Otherwise great performance, vr6 is quiet and seems at times "as if the engine is not even running.

Monsoon premium stereo is great, 16" alloy rims are great, leather heated seats, VR6 engine is quiet and strong, nice exterior design. hydro lifter on hood, laser cut keys w keyless entry, factory alarm system. spacious trunk area with crome protection liner. disc changer, sunroof.

improve the engine mechanical and components! not a smart place to put the front cup holders; it blocks the stereo functions! it is a convient location but not very logical!

Love the car!!
By geovanni11

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing..from low fuel consumption to great exterior design..i love everything about it..even when the check engine light turned on and i didn't have the money to fix it, it kept going strong and never let me down. Great car!!

love the sound system and the sunroof!!they 17' alloy wheels give it a better look.

too low to the ground on speed bumps i tend to nearly always hear the bottom being scratched by the pavement..

Love My Jetta!
By Betsy

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in 2004 with 65,000 miles and it has been a gem. It's fun to drive (manual) and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It has 128,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I will buy another Jetta next time I need a car but I'd like to get a diesel for better gas mileage. My GLS gets 26-29 which is pretty good for such a fantastic engine that just purrs at 80 mph. Can't say enough good about it.

Manual transmission, very quiet engine, smooth handling, smooth ride, seats that fit me, great trunk space, great body design

Would love to get better gas mileage but it's not bad for such great performance

Youre Kidding Right?
By Donner

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in January 2009. The first 5 weeks, the signal lights clicked randomly. Then the car would stall out of nowhere. I got it fixed and everything seemed fine for about 4 months. Now, I'm being told I need a new transmission, a new fuel regulator (whatever that is), and 4 new fuses. You've got to be kidding. I only have 64,000 miles, I cant possibly imagine the car being on the road another 40,000 miles.

Stereo quality, handling, ride quality especially on the freeway, folding down mirrors to help with curbside parking

better cupholders, more rear legroom, easier maintenance, better gas mileage

Good year for the Jetta
By Andrea

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

I never would have thought about buying a foreign vehicle until my bf got me psyched about the idea of owning one. We just went to some random dealership and I was so happy when we test drove this. I've had it almost a yr now with no problems. It's got over 96,000 miles on it and is still a young one. I plan on keeping this vehicle for as long as I can.

I love the heated seats and the sunroof and the fact I feel like a race car driver going down the road with my kids in the car. It's so fun to have a stick shift.

The central console kept breaking so I gave up on it. I hate to go to the dealership to fix it so I might just wait a couple years to do so.