Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Highly Recomended
By dmo1860

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is outstanding. I have 250,000 miles on her and she still drives like she has 80,000. She has the 2.0L and is extremely reliable. The engine is paired with the 5 speed manual gearbox and is an absolute joy. I have no doubt that this car will make it another 250,000 miles! And it has been a hard 200K miles on it too (driven by a teenage boy.) If one is for sale and its in good condition, I highly recoment getting it. Wether it's for a first car, or a car for your kid. if you take care of it, it'll take care of you. It is the most solid car I've ever driven and I hope I'll Never have to get rid of it.

Moon Roof 5 Speed Blue Gauge lights the look Reliability Handling

The bumper under the headlights sags after a while

165,000 miles strong
By pendii

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I got this car certified used in 2005. It had 60,000 miles on it at the time and was still in great shape. It's been 7 years and we've put an additional 100,000 miles on it. It's still going strong! It's a very comfortable car and very fun to drive. Sunroof and heated seats are great. The only thing you have to know before you buy a VW is they are more expensive to repair and maintain because they require special tools. Some mechanics have even refused to work on my car, saying they don't do VWs. The car is showing it's age a bit now. It does eat oil in its latter years. As long as we keep oil full, the engine's still great.

Love the way the car looks inside and out. Fun to drive. Was very powerful in its younger days. A little slower now, but still holds its own. Pretty good gas efficiency. About 30 mpg is what we get.

More affordable to repair and upkeep would be a good change. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything really.

Love this little car!
By kerfoot

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this lovely little VW eight years ago after driving an old model Ford Explorer and I loved the change! The Jetta has been so reliable and comfortable. Not to mention much better in gas mileage. The console is very convenient with all knobs and buttons within an easy hands reach. Very comfortable seats with plenty of leg room. Not to mention a HUGE trunk for such a small car. Very well crafted and sturdy. I always felt safe driving her. In almost eight years, she only was in the shop once for a sensor failure. With punctual oil changes and maintanence, the Jetta will run like new for a loooong time!

Good gas mileage. The version I drive has heated seats.

A little higher bumper, I sometimes caught it on parking lot curbs...

Check Engine Light: bane of my existence
By frozen01

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had so many issues! It's like they've gone out of their way to make repairs and maintenance as difficult and expensive as possible. The engine leaks oil, a known VW issue. The worst part is the check engine light. In the 3.5 years I've owned this car, the CE light has been OFF for a total of 2 months. I have taken it to 5 different mechanics, each one plugs it in to the diagnostics computer and either gets NO codes or codes that make no sense. All they can do is turn it off, but it just comes back on. No one can fix it, no one can even find a cause, but the car can't pass an emissions test, and so now I can't legally drive it. $12K wasted!

Turns on a dime, is very fun to drive. Has a sunroof and heated seats, which are lovely. Simple, elegant design, very comfortable interior. Perfect size! Gets decent gas mileage.

Use a different fabric on the interior. It collects animal hair like you wouldn't believe! Needs more cupholders, in some place that doesn't block the stereo. FIX ELECTRICAL ISSUES! Make light bulbs more accessible. Fix known engine oil leak issue.

Gotta be something betta
By nghappycabin

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When it's in operating condition, the ride is awesome and fun. Comfortable, stylish & unique features on the interior. I like the way it drives and the comfort, but there's been just too many problems with it to recommend it to others. Window fell into the door, oil plan needed replaced, some computer sensor for $180, serpentine belt and I've had to replace the same headlight bulb twice w/in last 30K miles. Interior parts look nice but they break easily and are expensive to replace. Trunk latch snapped in cold weather, console latch busted & cup holder broke ($160 for a new cup holder, for example). Just found out the cooling fan is broken ($500). Everything is expensive to fix.

Comfort, style, leather seats, sunroof, flashy interior, zippy, confident engine when up to snuff. Many features even with standard models.

Bring back the solid German engineering VW has became known for. Put a few extra dollars into solid interior parts. Engine reliability has got to improve. Mine is at 125K, which is high, but should not have all the problems it does being sold Certified over only 80K miles. Check around more.