2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
165,000 miles strong
By pendii on 07/21/12 07:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I got this car certified used in 2005. It had 60,000 miles on it at the time and was still in great shape. It's been 7 years and we've put an additional 100,000 miles on it. It's still going strong! It's a very comfortable car and very fun to drive. Sunroof and heated seats are great. The only thing you have to know before you buy a VW is they are more expensive to repair and maintain because they require special tools. Some mechanics have even refused to work on my car, saying they don't do VWs. The car is showing it's age a bit now. It does eat oil in its latter years. As long as we keep oil full, the engine's still great.

Love this little car!
By kerfoot on 12/13/09 17:51 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this lovely little VW eight years ago after driving an old model Ford Explorer and I loved the change! The Jetta has been so reliable and comfortable. Not to mention much better in gas mileage. The console is very convenient with all knobs and buttons within an easy hands reach. Very comfortable seats with plenty of leg room. Not to mention a HUGE trunk for such a small car. Very well crafted and sturdy. I always felt safe driving her. In almost eight years, she only was in the shop once for a sensor failure. With punctual oil changes and maintanence, the Jetta will run like new for a loooong time!

Check Engine Light: bane of my existence
By frozen01 on 11/21/09 13:50 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had so many issues! It's like they've gone out of their way to make repairs and maintenance as difficult and expensive as possible. The engine leaks oil, a known VW issue. The worst part is the check engine light. In the 3.5 years I've owned this car, the CE light has been OFF for a total of 2 months. I have taken it to 5 different mechanics, each one plugs it in to the diagnostics computer and either gets NO codes or codes that make no sense. All they can do is turn it off, but it just comes back on. No one can fix it, no one can even find a cause, but the car can't pass an emissions test, and so now I can't legally drive it. $12K wasted!

Gotta be something betta
By nghappycabin on 10/30/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When it's in operating condition, the ride is awesome and fun. Comfortable, stylish & unique features on the interior. I like the way it drives and the comfort, but there's been just too many problems with it to recommend it to others. Window fell into the door, oil plan needed replaced, some computer sensor for $180, serpentine belt and I've had to replace the same headlight bulb twice w/in last 30K miles. Interior parts look nice but they break easily and are expensive to replace. Trunk latch snapped in cold weather, console latch busted & cup holder broke ($160 for a new cup holder, for example). Just found out the cooling fan is broken ($500). Everything is expensive to fix.

Don't get a VW
By Ilya on 08/18/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive even with the low HP, particularly mine with a stick, but such a hassle as far as reliability. Bought it new and had problems from almost day 1, you name I've fixed it.

2001 Jetta - Coil Ignition resolved
By Trootie on 08/04/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I Always wanted a Jetta, for it's known reliability and safety. However, I discovered how it is not so reliable, I've had multiple sensors go bad, the cat went bad along with the alternator and now the coil Ignition went bad. If your VW has issues when starting in the rain, engine light goes crazy the car bucks and feels like it wants to stall it is the ignition coil. Just got a quote from the dealer 525. to fix. I have currently 112K miles on it, young for a VW I think to have so many issues, I drove a Geo Storm Prior and sold it with 164K and never had so many issues. Luckily a lot of the stuff was cover under warranty at first.. but seems like a money pit, what's next?

2001 VW Jetta
By Amy on 01/29/09 21:43 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely loved this vehicle when I first purchased it in October of 2006. Now all it does is have a problem after another! First the CD player broke, then the arm rest, then the trunk (which has completely stopped opening), and now the driver's side window doesn't work. Something inside the door has fallen. The window can go down but good luck getting it up. If you do then it starts slowly falling as the day goes by since the window is broken. Leather interior is peeling almost everywhere as well. I am really unsatisfied with the quality of the parts. It runs well but I can no longer get groceries in it or feel the wind. All of this happened before I hit 100,000 miles.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By jenae on 11/21/08 20:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Interior: Paint on door handle, stereo and cup holder peeled off. Faulty cup holder spill drinks while driving. Center console mechanism broke and will not support its own weight. Temperature controls do not light up. Exterior: bumper thing on front has too little clearance and will rip off if you get too close to a curb. Front air vents on bumper fell out while driving on highway. Engine: Transmission failing it has problems going from a stop to moving without jerking heavily and randomly decelerates while driving at a steady speed. Car dies while driving with no check engine light to trigger a code. On a better note, itís comfortable and I get 26 mpg

Paid off early & driving it till it dies
By saarij on 06/22/08 01:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first "new car." Beyond paying too much for it, the car eats oil on the order of 1qt every 3- 4k. "It's designed that way." is the best description multiple VW dealerships around the country say, and is echoed by the national reps even after putting synthetic in it from day one at the recommended intervals (10k). I add & monitor it every 3-4 times I fill up. After 150k it has a unique "drone" at the 3800 RPM. My repairs have been the standard wear items (brakes, timing belt, CV boot). The car requires unique VW tools to do some of the most basic jobs (like rear brakes). Several recall items - mostly electrical. Insurance and repairs are typically higher for VWs.

Think twice
By Jrose on 10/02/07 09:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought htis car for the safety rating and the great reviews. The first six months were great except the gas mileage was way lower than we expected. Then thingsstarted to fall apart. The interior was pealing anywhere there was painted plastic. The center console broke because it was cheap plastic. After about a year, the rest of the car started to fall apart. Except for the first year, we have spent about $800 a year in repairs and of course nothing that went wrong was cover by the warranty. Various engine sensors and parts needed to be replaced and, a shock to me, after only 2 years and 25,000 miles the whole rear brake system had to be replaced.Think twice about buying a used VW Jetta.