Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Not really worth it.
By bj789

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned my Jetta for almost 3 years. It was initially fun, but as I put miles on the car the check engine light became a familiar occurrence. Took it to independent mechanics to save a little on repairs but it seemed like I'd leave just to have another issue crop up. Started taking it to the local dealer so of course I paid through the nose for repairs (like all German cars). While not quite as expensive as my Mercedes to maintain, it still felt weird paying a premium for maintenance on a non-luxury badge. There were the enjoyable times with the car, it was loaded with great features and it was quiet and quick. But in the end, the bad outweighed the good.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, enormous moon roof, low end torque thanks to the turbo. Handled well enough for a FWD car. Manual transmission was decent. The ride on the highway was smooth, quiet and I'd find myself cruising at 85 feeling like it was closer to 60. Cabin lighting at night was very cool looking. Sound system was nice for stock - 8 speakers back in '01 was nice.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. On average the check engine light would come on 4 times a year and every time meant a trip to the mechanic / dealer. Sometimes the problem would be so significant the engine would hardly get me to the shop - sputtering and dying if the RPM's dropped below 1750. Interior build quality - the plastics were coated with a soft-touch coating from the factory that peeled off even under gentle use (I baby my cars) and made the interior age prematurely. The leather developed discoloration in frequent use areas as well.

Keep on searching
By KariD

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was a gift from my parents for graduating college. I feel really bad that I insisted on buying a VW. I wouldn't be happy until I got the darn thing, huge mistake. Ignition coils, trunk, windows, glove box, interior (poorly made), front bumper, center console, clutch, brakes, speakers, I could go on forever. It really breaks the bank, and you have to go to someone who knows VW's, and be prepared to spend some cash. I had a bonus misfortune buying this car new. the dealer was repainting the car because birds had ruined the paint, but they crashed it, and placed a refurbished sticker on it. the dealer doesn't have to report it if the repair job is under $1000. Sweet.

Favorite Features

getting rid of it

Suggested Improvements

never ever ever ever buy one or let any of my family or friends buy one

VW FAIL.
By Josh

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I financed this Jetta used for around $11k and ended up spending over $13k in repair receipts over the short lifetime of this car. Every possible part on this car had to be replaced at least once, and it was constantly towed to the shop. We just got rid of this for a reliable Honda.

Favorite Features

turbo was fun

Suggested Improvements

quit using tons of electronics; they work well when the car is new, but prevent the car from making it past the 150k mile mark

A pleasant suprise
By Timberwolf919

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I bought this car, I wasn't really enthusiastic about it. I had been trying for a MINI, and kinda got stuck with this (the dealers were shady). However, to my enjoyment, I have gotten quite comfortable with it since then. Adding rims and a few aftermarket things made this car very classy, and I enjoyed the ride. I did get a finicky blinker, though, and the starter made a funny noise, although it was mechanically sound. But at 132k miles, I am pleased to find that I haven't had to do much to the car at all. I replaced the vacuum tubing and secondary air pump for about $700, but mechanics were fair: $45 for extensive diagnostics. Looking to do a few more things for a truly killer ride.

Favorite Features

Leather (although it smells like crayons), Heated seats, Turbo/BOV, decorative trim

Suggested Improvements

Parts can be expensive, and the starter could be improved. I think there are many things that have happened in recent models to compensate for these, though.

Don't Buy One!
By BWare

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I admired the looks of the Jetta for a long time and knew this was the car for me. I bought it with 15,00 miles in 2001. When I drove the 5 speed, I was thrilled with its zip and handling. Never had a more fun car to drive. However, this car has cost me more money to maintain than ANY I have ever owned. Replacement of coils, light and electrical probs, the list is a long one. I will never own another Volkswagon. I am going back to buy another reliable, if a bit boring, Honda-which I had before and which cost me almost nothing to maintain and never broke down.

Favorite Features

Drivablity. It is a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Horrible interior material Dog hair sticks like glue. Cheap cup holders. Bad electrical probs with windows, etc everyone complains of this with Volkswagons.