2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Not really worth it.
By bj789 on 07/16/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned my Jetta for almost 3 years. It was initially fun, but as I put miles on the car the check engine light became a familiar occurrence. Took it to independent mechanics to save a little on repairs but it seemed like I'd leave just to have another issue crop up. Started taking it to the local dealer so of course I paid through the nose for repairs (like all German cars). While not quite as expensive as my Mercedes to maintain, it still felt weird paying a premium for maintenance on a non-luxury badge. There were the enjoyable times with the car, it was loaded with great features and it was quiet and quick. But in the end, the bad outweighed the good.

Keep on searching
By KariD on 08/13/10 23:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car was a gift from my parents for graduating college. I feel really bad that I insisted on buying a VW. I wouldn't be happy until I got the darn thing, huge mistake. Ignition coils, trunk, windows, glove box, interior (poorly made), front bumper, center console, clutch, brakes, speakers, I could go on forever. It really breaks the bank, and you have to go to someone who knows VW's, and be prepared to spend some cash. I had a bonus misfortune buying this car new. the dealer was repainting the car because birds had ruined the paint, but they crashed it, and placed a refurbished sticker on it. the dealer doesn't have to report it if the repair job is under $1000. Sweet.

VW FAIL.
By Josh on 06/30/10 02:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I financed this Jetta used for around $11k and ended up spending over $13k in repair receipts over the short lifetime of this car. Every possible part on this car had to be replaced at least once, and it was constantly towed to the shop. We just got rid of this for a reliable Honda.

A pleasant suprise
By Timberwolf919 on 01/15/10 21:47 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I bought this car, I wasn't really enthusiastic about it. I had been trying for a MINI, and kinda got stuck with this (the dealers were shady). However, to my enjoyment, I have gotten quite comfortable with it since then. Adding rims and a few aftermarket things made this car very classy, and I enjoyed the ride. I did get a finicky blinker, though, and the starter made a funny noise, although it was mechanically sound. But at 132k miles, I am pleased to find that I haven't had to do much to the car at all. I replaced the vacuum tubing and secondary air pump for about $700, but mechanics were fair: $45 for extensive diagnostics. Looking to do a few more things for a truly killer ride.

Don't Buy One!
By BWare on 06/14/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I admired the looks of the Jetta for a long time and knew this was the car for me. I bought it with 15,00 miles in 2001. When I drove the 5 speed, I was thrilled with its zip and handling. Never had a more fun car to drive. However, this car has cost me more money to maintain than ANY I have ever owned. Replacement of coils, light and electrical probs, the list is a long one. I will never own another Volkswagon. I am going back to buy another reliable, if a bit boring, Honda-which I had before and which cost me almost nothing to maintain and never broke down.

Dont buy this car
By Dorian on 04/27/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

the 1.8t is a beautiful car, its not bad on gas and its fun to drive. But do not buy this car, this car will bankrupted you. their are so many electrical problems (automatic window problems, trunk opening problems light problems ect...) that you will run into (and its a lest of $300.00 to get each of the problems fixed). so if you buy this car you better get use to having check engine light permanently on.

jetta that is junk.
By mikey on 12/05/08 09:50 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car drives like a dream when it decides to run. I have had so much trouble trying to keep this thing running that I would never buy another. I had a 1968 beetle that never let me down like this car. They are Nice to look at but you never know where you will be stranded. I bought this car for my daughter but will not let her drive it for safety sake. Not even the Volkswagen dealers can fix these pieces of trash. I still owe 2 years on this thing so if I get rid of it I wiil be a lucky man.

This car will turn you on
By gettadub734 on 11/13/08 02:37 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car 6 months ago I love my VW, very fast, good gas mileage unless you use the turbo then the gas goes fast, been very reliable to me only thing is the turn signal on 1 side is out guess that's common, but beautiful car to look at and can throw you back in your seat. Mine has 165,000 and runs like new its unreal, but I run synthetic oil and 93 octane.

awesome
By zach032 on 09/16/08 07:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for almost a year and the only thing that I've replaced is the brakes. I've put on a lot of extras with the motor and the visual details. i've loved this car since i've had it. i also has 95,000 miles on and the dealer gave me all the service records witch he told very good car of it. basically if you can take care of the car, you will love it

fun to drive!
By Vantha on 06/15/08 22:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I use to own a 2003 Honda Civic but this 2001 Volkswagen owns it! to my surprise when I had my foot on the accelerator it was fast! and I could surpass any cars even the high end cars. I'm also glad for the fact that the brakes are fast and sensitive. I didn't expect much from it and now I enjoy riding it so much! Since I just bought this car, I'm still figuring out some stuff to it, because EVERYTHING is automatic even to the fact that almost everything has buttons to it! Another thing that's great about this car, is the comfort of it, when you're in it, it's like you're sitting in an SUV because the seats are so elevated.