Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

A Nice Ride
By Goodriver52

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta GL has 128,000 miles on it now and still has the original front brakes, exhaust system and clutch. The 2.0 liter 4 gets excellent gas mileage and the 5 speed manual trans is fun to use. I take it to the dealer for servicing every 5000 miles. Maintenance is expensive but well worth it. This car has been trouble free and I hope to get at least 300,000 miles before letting her go. Even tho the 2.0 is not a muscular engine it is very smooth. This car's handling is tight and very maneuverable.

Reliable engine. Good mileage with tight handling. All body seams are about 1/8" and that shows good build quality. Good trunk space for its size.

I wish I had cruise control.

Make good commercials-but horrible cars
By Anakin

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February of 2009. It had 87,000 miles on it. I got it for a good price because the glove box was broken and the seller wanted to get rid of it. Bad idea. Soon after driving it around the grill fell off, the driver's mirror fell off, the seats don't recline, the lid that covers the outlet didn't close, the MAF sensor has been replaced 3 times, if you spill water on the seats it stains, and today my trunk decided to stop opening. Either do your research before you buy a Jetta (I would not recommend it however) or buy a Mazda, which I am about to do if I can sell it.

I thought the Jettas were so pretty. I like the red and blue dash lights.

Stop making cheap cars, both mechanically and design quality. Better gas mileage. If you are going to sell the cheap car with cheap parts, why do I have to pay $500 to get my glove box fixed?

Not a bad car
By SK18

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this older car to get around town and to go back and forth from the train station mainly. It's cute and fun to drive, but just a couple of months after purchasing needed work, which the mechanics I took it to had trouble spotting. Getting it fixed has been a hassle, but that's often the case with any car.

color and style warm seats

better gas mileage

Great Car
By gestenta

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Jetta GL with 6 miles on it. It is the base model and does not have any of the power options which people consistently complain about in reviews. The car now has 230,000 miles on it and runs better than ever. I am a do it yourself type, but all in all it's been a great car. Changed the oil every 5000 miles with Catrol Synthetic Blend.

The engine is amazing

Some of the cheap plastic trim and interior components.

Good car
By hellogoodbye

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 jetta and it is very great I love my car and would recommend it to everyone if you're careful and actually take care of your car the inside would deteriorate. If you're also careful the engine shouldn't break nothing should really go wrong unless it's something you did or the previous owner did. Also it should come with a cd player or at least mine did. it's great reliable and the best car to have

it's fun! love the sunroof works great

no improvements