2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
A Nice Ride
By Goodriver52 on 05/30/10 17:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Jetta GL has 128,000 miles on it now and still has the original front brakes, exhaust system and clutch. The 2.0 liter 4 gets excellent gas mileage and the 5 speed manual trans is fun to use. I take it to the dealer for servicing every 5000 miles. Maintenance is expensive but well worth it. This car has been trouble free and I hope to get at least 300,000 miles before letting her go. Even tho the 2.0 is not a muscular engine it is very smooth. This car's handling is tight and very maneuverable.

Make good commercials-but horrible cars
By Anakin on 12/11/09 17:37 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February of 2009. It had 87,000 miles on it. I got it for a good price because the glove box was broken and the seller wanted to get rid of it. Bad idea. Soon after driving it around the grill fell off, the driver's mirror fell off, the seats don't recline, the lid that covers the outlet didn't close, the MAF sensor has been replaced 3 times, if you spill water on the seats it stains, and today my trunk decided to stop opening. Either do your research before you buy a Jetta (I would not recommend it however) or buy a Mazda, which I am about to do if I can sell it.

Not a bad car
By SK18 on 08/13/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this older car to get around town and to go back and forth from the train station mainly. It's cute and fun to drive, but just a couple of months after purchasing needed work, which the mechanics I took it to had trouble spotting. Getting it fixed has been a hassle, but that's often the case with any car.

Great Car
By gestenta on 06/23/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Jetta GL with 6 miles on it. It is the base model and does not have any of the power options which people consistently complain about in reviews. The car now has 230,000 miles on it and runs better than ever. I am a do it yourself type, but all in all it's been a great car. Changed the oil every 5000 miles with Catrol Synthetic Blend.

Good car
By hellogoodbye on 09/16/08 16:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 jetta and it is very great I love my car and would recommend it to everyone if you're careful and actually take care of your car the inside would deteriorate. If you're also careful the engine shouldn't break nothing should really go wrong unless it's something you did or the previous owner did. Also it should come with a cd player or at least mine did. it's great reliable and the best car to have

Don't Buy a VW, Too Many Problems
By Fabby on 04/22/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a headache. There is always some kind of electrical problem going on. It burns oil at about 1 quart per 3000 miles. Terrible car, highly do not recommend it.

Nice Little Car
By Rick on 01/20/06 15:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL brand new and I'm still happy with it. The styling is awesome, materials first rate, and design well above the others. After owning this car and it's features and design you get sort of spoiled. I love the struts on the trunk and front hood, daytime lights, how all the buttons light up at night, the auto locks, dual lit vanity mirrors, etc. However, it is as others have said, built in Mexico, so some parts are painted and will peel away after a few years. The paint is the same color as the plastic, so you could always peel all the paint off and be fine. Some things are expensive to fix and you'll be in the shop at least once a year. Still, this car has served us well.

Hate it!
By megan_724 on 06/29/05 15:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Never will I buy a VW again. I've had to replace the brake sensor twice, all spark plugs, and numerous other "small" repairs that total thousands of dollars. My car dies when I am driving down the road, with no explanation. The interior fabric is crap. The bumper falls off for NO reason. I would never recommend a VW, even to my worst enemy. Whatever you do, buy a Honda or Nissan.

Won't purchase again
By ksdvm on 01/01/05 01:36 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have a 01, GL with 35K, enjoyed driving it until had a "computer and air sensor" problem. Dealer had my car for 2 weeks - poor communication/service. Should be reliable at 35K. I am selling for a Mazda. Do your research before purchasing. Hopefully improvements are being made with service.

Throttle body problems
By Dawn on 12/04/04 18:50 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Problems with throttle body within months of purchase. Car on third throttle body. Extreme loss of power on freeways and uphills. Two near accidents. In last 4 months, it has been in an authorized repair shop 5/6 times with thousands of dollars worth of repairs. Contacted VW corporate 5 times. Never asked for new car or rental for inconveniences, just requesting a safe reliable car (like mine). V. disappointed with VW customer service more so than vehicle.