Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Please stay away, please, you won't even able to sell it
By jzmsewa

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a car from a dealer, with very clean carfax,140k miles, nice looking. However, the radiator start leaking within 30 days, so dealer covered it. After that,3 light bulb gone in 2 weeks, and 1 starter, 1 ignition coil gone. I am a student working as a food delivery man part time. The car make me quit the job 2 times because it stopped on street, or start shaking badly for the ignition coil. The the driver's side door close sensor gone, make my car anti-thief working at night in garage and drain my battery, and at the same time, the warning ding will keep honing until 2 mins you start the car( the sensor thought you drive with door open).Then the glove box and the trunk release

The paint is better than Honda's. I want to get a nice looking car to get a girlfriend, so I buy this and bankrupt myself. But I get my girlfriend as well.

Stay away Mexico VWs,for all the bettles, jetta, Passat, my cousin get a new 2007 Passat in FL and you know what, the AC compressor never works. I thought it was the weather is too harsh, but no, it is the car is too crap. and now their key fob won't work. Their car won't sell at good price now so they could only keep it. And I won't take it either.

Highly Recomended
By dmo1860

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is outstanding. I have 250,000 miles on her and she still drives like she has 80,000. She has the 2.0L and is extremely reliable. The engine is paired with the 5 speed manual gearbox and is an absolute joy. I have no doubt that this car will make it another 250,000 miles! And it has been a hard 200K miles on it too (driven by a teenage boy.) If one is for sale and its in good condition, I highly recoment getting it. Wether it's for a first car, or a car for your kid. if you take care of it, it'll take care of you. It is the most solid car I've ever driven and I hope I'll Never have to get rid of it.

Moon Roof 5 Speed Blue Gauge lights the look Reliability Handling

The bumper under the headlights sags after a while

Most Reliable I ever owned
By autowolf

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned the car for 3 years and to this day it has been in more close calls than any other car I have owned, but never let me down. I had to pull over on hwy I89 for over heating once, the problem was a leaking seal at 160k miles and it was an easy fix. Off the road one icy dirt road in the winter, thanks to the car's design I was safe in a ditch unfortunately, but safe from scratches on the paint and I was only shocked a little by the event, driver error and winter conditions. I have been kept safe on the winter roads thanks to this car and it has been the most fun car in it's year and class that I have ever driven.

Most favorite feature was the power moon/sun roof. The audio system in the car isn't superior but I say par to slightly under par but the controls are easy to use and the bass isn't muddy or too strong and the adjustment controls for the bass is easy. The rear folding seats are great for adding space, lift seat base and the fold and remove head rest and fold down the rear seat back supports fits flat and snug.

Center console from previous owner is damaged. Not sure why. Wish it has more cup holders in the back and one more power point for the rear seats. The power points are located in the front by the shift lever and one in the trunk.

Great Reliable Car
By herbz

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

164,000 miles and running great. Reliable as can be. Good on gas, MPG has dropped slightly as the car aged but still gets 30mpg city easily. Massive trunk for a small car. Other than ground clearance it is a very good winter car. Only issue is an intermittent CEL related to an emissions issue that comes and goes. Dealer says its not worth chasing as the car runs perfect. Definitely will consider another Jetta or VW product.

More power. The naturally aspirated 2.0 does the job but it could definitely use some more jam.

Lemon! Terrible! Money Pit!
By whitewolf1145

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car breaks down more than any car ive ever even heard of! Something anything breaks at least once a week and being a vw parts cost $1000+ for the simple crap! Bought car 6 months ago at 107,000. It now has 117,000 and after $2000+ in repairs the transmission is going out. The car has ruined my financial life! i owe $4000 still thats twice what i could sell it for if it worked! -__- Very expensive lesson learned! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Looks MPG

Sorry the list of suggested improvements was too long to show from this review. Basically the car was crap dont buy it.